General discussion

You need permission to perform this action access denied

I am getting this message if I try to paste content to a folder delete certain folders Etc. I cannot change permissions, always access denied. it is sending me around the twist. E.G. I had to do a fresh install. But I did not get a fresh install rather files that I wanted to get rid of were saved in windows.old. I cannot delete this folder. The reason for the fresh install was that I suspected a virus now it sits in windows.old. Please someone help. I did download and install a file to take ownership. i was told to right click on folder take ownership... a screen showed success repeated dozens of times then closed. i thought great it is solved. I went to add something to the folder 'access denied'

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: You need permission to perform this action access denied
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: You need permission to perform this action access denied
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That reinstall

That reinstall was either a Repair Install, or you reinstalled without reformatting the hard drive first. If you had used the Windows 7 Setup DVD to reformat the hard drive first then that would have deleted everything from the disk and the subsequent install procedure would not have created a Windows.old folder.

Permissions are complicated and I don't pretend to understand it myself. But I know that, in Windows 7, not all is what it seems to be. For example, you may see a "My Documents" folder with all it's sub-folders, ie My Pictures, My Music, My Videos, etc, but they do not really exist. These "My xxx" folders are called "Junction Points" and point to the respective Public folders for each user. They are like shortcuts, and are there because a lot of older, pre-Win 7 software expects to see "Documents and Settings\user name" folders which no longer exist in Win 7.

So, if you are attempting to move, delete, copy, or paste files into or from any of these Junction point folders, you will see this Access Denied error. It's the same in Vista and I decided in my own Vista system to just ignore My documents and create my own, personal, folders and files on the C: drive, and manage those.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -

"If you had used the Windows 7 Setup DVD to reformat the hard drive first then that would have deleted everything from the disk and the subsequent install procedure would not have created a Windows.old folder." I did use the DVD. I tried to delete win 7 in order to reformat but the option to do so was always greyed out. Advice from every forum told me rather arrogantlty that I could not delete windows as it was in use. Sort of a catch 22. What most of these people don't seem to realise is that not everyone is an expert, otherwise we would not be asking for help.
I finally worked out myself to create a partition. Then reinstall win7 onto that. Then go back and reformat the original partition. So fresh install. guess what still getting access denied?

- Collapse -
Lots could be cleared up IF you ...

could be a bit more detailed.

you state - "Advice from every forum told me rather arrogantlty [SIC] that I could not delete windows as it was in use. Sort of a catch 22. What most of these people don't seem to realise is that not everyone is an expert, otherwise we would not be asking for help."

That would appear to indicate that you are running the installation from within Windows - try putting the Instalation DVD into the DVD reader then re-booting and going into the BIOS and setting the FIRTS boot device to be the DVD. now you are NOT setting up from within Windows and could perform a complete re-partitioning and/or formatting of the drive.

You speak of arrogance and not being an expert but seem to get upset with advice when offered such as Bob offering the advice that you could make use of a Linux Live CD to over-ride permission issues. If you didn't understand about Linux you could either ask or SEARCH on the Internet but you chose to be rude with your reply - "Is that supposed to be a reply or are you sniffing glue? I did not understand a word of it" and that isn't going to get much sympathy or assistance.

- Collapse -
Even with a fresh install could be proper.

I've found a few not want to know about NTFS permissions and the OS protected files and folders.

Most want to thing that one can copy anywhere in this OS.

--> There are other ways around that such as using a Linux LiveCD but how can we cover such a deep issue without (a) upsetting those that will feel chafed about being asked about NTFS permissions, (b) learning about folder and such protections and (c) avoiding bruised feelings as we cover alternatives?

Bob

- Collapse -

Is that supposed to be a reply or are you sniffing glue? I did not understand a word of it

- Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.

Change thing to think.

Your reply revealed a lot. Many never wanted to learn about this OS and your reply confirmed that you are one of them.

As one person wrote "The journey begins."

I suggest you start with many of the fine Windows books or web sites.
Bob

- Collapse -
You need permission to perform this action access denied -

Yet one more 'I know it all' wasting everyones time. Go elsewhere to bask in your arrogance. You are no help and a complete waste of space. I drive a BMW if that stops working should I start to read books on auto mechanics? Stupid! All I need is a simple solution to an aggravating problem. No I don't mean you.

- Collapse -
Good analogy.

If your car stops you would have to acquire the skills to fix it. My reply is good enough if you have the basic skills.

Example. What good does it do for me to tell you to replace a fuse if you don't know what a fuse is? Also if I refer to the car manual and you won't then you have to wait for the tow truck.

Same story here. When you are ready to learn about Windows, file systems, permissions, NTFS then you will be ready to fix your machine.

For now and until that day comes you'll have to take it to the shop.
Bob

- Collapse -
Shocked and appalled

Sir,

I feel your pain in this issue as I am also having some at this time. The amount of frustration sometimes drives me to drink or spend untold hours reading screens full of text which rarely make a direct connection to the problem. I was in fact doing such and had to stop and reread things. Maybe you should also do the same. How can your comments and responses be justified in any way? The person responding to your request(??), answered it by telling you the area most likely at fault. You should be sent a bill. Professional services rendered upon request. Someone pointed you to water and you cursed them for not bringing it to you. Shameful behaviour regardless of the place it is in, unless of course, driving a BMW entitles one to being a dbag.

- Collapse -
Shocked and appalled

1st drinking is never the answer. 2nd re Dbag. Of course it does. Peasant. Do you people have nothing better to do? I do not have the time to read through endless drivel written by self opinionated idiots like those posting here. My point was (simple enough even for simpletons)I expect my BMW to work without having to become a mechanic because it is top of the range. I expect no less from the dictatorship that is Microsoft. Win 7 Ultimate! I should have a personal tech geek.

- Collapse -
Your analogy works for me.

"expect my BMW to work without having to become a mechanic"

Windows is no BMW. Maybe Apple is?

-> Windows still requires us to learn about the OS or take it to the personal tech geek. I know folk that employ a "computer coach" which is a combination tech guru and life manager.

But back to your machine. How did you end up with what sounds like the latest OS and no support? You don't have to tell but some buy from a company then that company fails.
Bob

- Collapse -
Your analogy works for me.

You prove my point. Non geeks (the vast majority) have no time or patience to mess around with this stuff. If I want to copy, paste, delete or anything else. Why do I need permission from anyone?

- Collapse -
That we can answer.

It's still technical but has to do with permissions and system protected files.

For the new to Windows person all this may be upsetting but many OSes have such protections and if we really want to get around it we learn about the OS or use a tool.
Bob

- Collapse -
That we can answer.

I am working my balls off at the moment (Sunday 23.13) trying to earn some money. I really do not have the tech savvy to tackle this. Is there is a tool. Then bring the damn thing on and a curse on the house of microsoft

- Collapse -
I think you missed it.

All OSes (modern ones) have protected files and folders. If we go to your top post I can't find where you were trying to paste these files to. It does matter.

To say it's a company problem is interesting but an Apple would do the same for some folders. Would you blame them too for protecting system folders?

The tool was noted in my first reply.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info