Windows Vista forum

General discussion

"You might not have permission to use this network resource"

Another one of these problems -- I've found a few of these threads, but my situation seems to be a little different.

Here's the deal. I have a small home wireless network with two Vista machines: a desktop (let's call it ZEN-DT) running Home Premium and a laptop (ZEN-LT) running Business. Both are running software firewalls and both's IPs are in the other's Trusted Zone.

For months I hadn't had any problems whatsoever accessing one from the other across the network. Then I began to have minor problems accessing the laptop from the desktop after I had to reinstall Vista on the desktop a little while ago. But now for some reason I can't access the laptop from the desktop AT ALL. (Though I can continue to access the desktop from the laptop.)

The desktop still seems to know about the laptop on the network. I go to Windows Explorer and I can see the laptop. But when I try to access it I get the "\\ZEN-LT is not accessible. You might not have permission..." etc. message.

The thing is, I can successfully ping ZEN-LT both by IP and by name. From the laptop, I've tried shutting off the firewall to the Trusted Zone entirely, but this didn't change anything.

I operate on both machines exclusively with an account with the same username and password. The Sharing and Discovery settings on both machines are all set for sharing (everything on but "Media Sharing"; I tried setting "Password protected sharing" both on and off and there was no difference) and the network is private.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? This is driving me nuts!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "You might not have permission to use this network resource"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "You might not have permission to use this network resource"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You seem to have all the usuals under control.

In reply to: "You might not have permission to use this network resource"

But what about the router? Any firewall there?

I know some that will dismiss it with a "it worked before."

-> Finally if nothing turns up, go get NETWORK MAGIC (even the free demo will do for this) and see how it deals with it.
Bob

Collapse -
the router

In reply to: You seem to have all the usuals under control.

Yeah, there's a firewall on the router (a Linksys WRT54G). Assuming I can figure out how to access it again, what should I be looking for? And even if there is something funny about its settings, wouldn't a ping from the desktop to the laptop have failed?

NETWORK MAGIC -- what does this do? Sounds intriguing. Do you have to be a network whiz to use it?

Collapse -
Network Magic

In reply to: You seem to have all the usuals under control.

Hey, this looks slick. I installed it on the desktop -- but it doesn't appear to see the laptop. What does it mean that Network Magic doesn't see the laptop, but that I can ping the laptop and see it from Windows Explorer?

Collapse -
Not seeing things...

In reply to: Network Magic

That's normal if a firewall is working (anywhere from here to there) as well as when the other machine hasn't shared a printer or file...

Collapse -
it's magic!

In reply to: Not seeing things...

I dropped Network Magic onto the laptop and, voila, everyone can see and access everyone again. Excelsior.

Thanks for the tip.
zenkovic

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it worked.

In reply to: it's magic!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.