Speakeasy forum

General discussion

You might be interested in this on health care

by Diana Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 12:08 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: You might be interested in this on health care
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: You might be interested in this on health care
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Makes sense to me
by Willy / October 16, 2009 1:26 AM PDT

I read the transcript portion and it pretty much jives with my interpretation as things have progressed one way or another. Ironically, I don't see evil forces at work but rather the powers that be have to realize that a problem exists but lets get ours for as long as we can because the righteous of a health care reform are bound to toss out what was in place. In other words it's business vs the people. Rather, you like it not the people always win over time. Heaven forbid you deny for too long what should be done or get on board now before its too late.

But heck that's my opinion, which can't afford health care now anyways. I wish I could but that would take funds away from my peanutbutter and jam sandwiches and of course, the ever popular beans and rice. Wink -----WIlly Shocked

Collapse -
This has been kicking around for quite some time.
by EdHannigan / October 16, 2009 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Makes sense to me

It's one side of the story

Do you think the government will provide you with affordable quality health care?

Collapse -
providing quality health care is on the medical profession
by grimgraphix / October 16, 2009 1:54 AM PDT

The question is... can health care costs be controlled to make it affordable to everyone.

Do you think the private sector is willing to cut profits to allow more people to get health care?

Collapse -
What level, Grim...
by J. Vega / October 16, 2009 3:01 AM PDT

Grim, what level of health care? A person on Medicaid has a level of health care, while a union auto worker has a higher level. Let's look at it using something that people need and get at different levels, food.
Say someone lost their job and their level of income changed. There's no way they could survive without food. So what do they do? They make choices in the spending of the available money until things improve. They may cut out things like cell phone service, cable TV, new clothes, all entertainment, and other expenses. You can go down to bare bones on expenses until things improve.
So let's look at health care in that same light. If that person who lost their job, or even had one that didn't pay enough to afford a health care plan like some "fancy" union, government, or other industry job, should they cut back some expenses to get a plan or a better plan? Or, should they be given health care, limiting the need to cut the expenses for things like cell phones, cable, dining out, etc.?
I've been through such a period, and learned the hard way what is truly necessary and what expenses can be cut if you need to. One of the interesting things is that my situation has vastly improved, and now I can again afford the things I cut out in hard times, but haven't done so. Having been through those hard times, I now consider many of those things unnecessary and save rather than spend excess money.
I made a point of mentioning that last thing as I think it may have a bearing on the current economic situation in general, especially in the "recovery". As things improve, how many people who cut expenses drastically to survive won't go back to their old wasteful spending ways, but will continue to keep their new thrifty ways? Many shows I've seen on the economic situation say that the U.S. economy driven by consumer spending. If this is the case, could the recent hard times for many have altered their future level of consumer spending for a long time, resulting in a chilling effect on future spending for that same long time?

Collapse -
Do you think insurance companies are interested
by Diana Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 9:14 AM PDT

in giving affordable health care to everyone or just making sure they get their big offices and salaries and corporate jets?

Diana

Collapse -
They are businesses....
by EdHannigan / October 16, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

Do you understand why businesses exist? It's not to "give" anyone anything.

Do you think their profits are too high? What should their profits be?

Collapse -
RE: It's not to "give" anyone anything.
by JP Bill / October 16, 2009 11:50 PM PDT

So when you pay them....they just "take"?

And people give with no expectation of something in return.

I say they give you a service and you give them your money.

If that's not the way it works, one or both groups are SUCKERS!!

To place in the hands of; pass: Give me the scissors.

1. To deliver in exchange or recompense; pay: gave five dollars for the book.

Collapse -
Take without giving
by grimgraphix / October 17, 2009 2:34 AM PDT

Don't forget that insurance companies are one of those rare business who put it in their contract that they reserve the right to take your money... and refuse to give you anything back

Collapse -
No answers?
by EdHannigan / October 17, 2009 3:00 AM PDT

Okay.

Collapse -
(NT) I do believe it was answered
by Diana Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: No answers?
Collapse -
He hit the nail on the head when he said
by Angeline Booher / October 16, 2009 4:13 AM PDT

..... that he had been "insulated".

IMO, that is a problem shared by others who are "insulated". Those who are as protected as can be from worrying about their own health coverage, (For example, Federal employees. military and other GOVERNMENT RUN health coverage's.) It really gets weird when they rail against the possibility of taxpayers having any monetary interest , while they are happy to to have the advantage of taxpayer money themselves. I realize that their coverage is earned like in the private sector, but the "warnings" about government run programs is two-faced.

There have been several similar clinics held in my county.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Cost of adminstering the Canadian Health Care System? 3%
by Ziks511 / October 20, 2009 2:38 PM PDT

of total expenditures. And it covers everybody and everything. No co-pays, no deductibles, no exceptions. I never think about illness, or old age except to bemoan the loss of flexibility and the pain in my back and knees and ankles and feet. When I read what the Obama administration is willing to accept, a plan that doesn't cover everybody, which assures insurance companies 20% returns, and allows co-pays and deductibles and all that other stuff, I'd like to hurl.

How many businesses have a guaranteed return of 20% every year. Me, I'd be buying Health Care stocks like crazy because if things continue the way they appear to be going the insurance industry should be making out like bandits. Of course they always have.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?