Windows Vista forum

General discussion

You may be a victim of software counterfeiting...

Last week when my PC restarted after an automatic update I started getting this message "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting..." I also got a message that my Vista ran out of time and now needs to be activated.

FYI., I activated my (genuine) vista business over a year ago and it was working fine until now. I downloaded the WGA and it said that its not a genuine copy/key even though when I called microsoft they checked my key and said that it is valid/good, and told me to try to activate it again. I tried activating it online and it didn't let me. I tried activating over the phone and I could not finish either because I was not getting some code that it was suppose to generate for me. The person on the phone wasn't helpful either or maybe just didn't understand english.

Well, now it's worse, before I would just have limited functionality but after a few times of restarting windows I started getting the blue screen with a message saying something like "windows has detected a problem and is shutting down to prevent any damage...." that's pretty much whats left of my pc now.

I tried repairing the OS but it doesn't let me because when I put the vista CD in and change the bios to boot from the CD first I still get the blue screen. Out of maybe 10 restarts I was able to log in once only to see the "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting" message again. And if I try inserting the CD then or even a USB drive the blue screen comes back in a flash and I have to restart it 10 times again to get the log in screen.

Can any one help?
What should I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: You may be a victim of software counterfeiting...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: You may be a victim of software counterfeiting...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For this you call Microsoft.

In reply to: You may be a victim of software counterfeiting...

If it's all legit you have to push gently for activation help. If they fail you, start pushing for a full refund so you can get another copy.
Bob

Collapse -
MSDN Academic Alliance copy

In reply to: For this you call Microsoft.

here is the problem though; I got the vista business through my school through MSDN Academic Alliance and microsoft said that I have to go through them (which is a bigger pain but I'll evantually, slowly deal with them).

but I guess I'm more concerned with wethear the blue screen is possibly part of the key code problem or does it sound more like a seperate hardware issue.

Is there a dignostic test/log/tool that could help me figure out what could be causing the blue screen of death?

Collapse -
BSOD tool.

In reply to: MSDN Academic Alliance copy

The ones that I've found that worked have ears on them. (people!)

Ahh. That academic versions do expire as these spread to the pirate channels. I can see where this may upset some but why not get a real version with your very own key so you won't have this die like that again?

Bob

Collapse -
You may be a victim of software conterfeiting.........

This exact same problem has hapened to me. I have an HP Laptop, store bought, and for a year it has worked fine. A couple of weeks ago I got the dreaded message every time I started my laptop. I usually leave it in hibernate and luckily have not seen BSoD yet. However all attempts to get Help from HP have resulted in 'you have to use system recovery' which means loss of all software programs and data, ie back to new laptop status. Microsoft have a program which detects the problem but does not give any other information to allow a legit copy to be restored to legit status. I am unable to elicit any help from forums so far. None of the command line solutions work, eg net start slsvc, sfc, etc they all end up back at the MS website and the message that 'software failed validation'. You can't get help, you can't get updates to solve the problem, you can't get a diagnosis of the root cause, so it looks like it's copy the data to a DVD and start with the system recovery and spend a week or two reloading the programs.

Collapse -
Diagnosis, root cause, etc.

In reply to: You may be a victim of software conterfeiting.........

The good news is I've been able to get this done. But it involved paying for the service. The truly sad part of this is its cheaper in almost every case to just execute your disaster plan.

Isn't that what its all about?

One of my disaster plans is to place the old drive into some USB case, then restore to a new (usually faster) hard disk then copy my files over from the old drive or from the backup on the network drive.

Those EDU licenses are no bargain (or worth what we paid...)

Bob

PS. (hint: the money.)

Collapse -
3 weeks later ??

We'd all love to hear what's happening.

Collapse -
We'd all love to hear....

In reply to: 3 weeks later ??

I am still using the same 'unvalidated software' and the computer works just as well without validation. I just close the dialog everytime it comes up to remind me that I may be the victim of software theft! I suggest the remedy lies with Microsoft who wrote the program or with HP who supplied the software with my computer. I do not see why I have to lose all my software and data because some rogue program has changed something in my 'validation'. Microsoft ought to supply a remedy which does not involve reloading everything. It's a bit like having to get a complete respray on my car because I have a scratch on the bumper. Rediculous.

Collapse -
We'd all love to hear...

In reply to: We'd all love to hear....

Since neither HP nor Microsoft have risen to the bait, (obviously this forum does not rate with them), and I cannot print anything, it looks as though I will have to bite the bullet and use system recovery and say goodbye to all my software.

However as a parting shot I think it is high time that Microsoft reviewed their very selfish policy of not writing a program variation which will allow one to reload the operating system without DESYTROYING every other bit of software and data. I know I should be backing up, but how often should one do it, daily by the look of it.... I did this when I was in business but that was twenty years ago and since then I am aware that the total unreliability of Windows software has resulted in a huge and growing sector of the IT industry in online data storage, etc.

Collapse -
That other company.

In reply to: We'd all love to hear...

Collapse -
We'd all love to know....

In reply to: We'd all love to hear...

Well, I bit the bullet. I backed up my email, pictures, letters, spreadsheets etc and then reloaded using the Recovery Disks which I had made on taking delivery of the Laptop. Evrything went smoothly, slowly and having reloaded my email I made a Restore point. I have used the included Norton AV and other programs. I was a little taken aback, to sya the least, when I saw what Microsoft had in store for me - no less that 81 updates which did not include all the important/recommended ones. Today I got another 18 updates to load! My software is still incomplete, but I am going to make lots of Restore Points, you can be sure. Unfortunately I do not know how soon they will fill my 120Gb HDD at 300Mb per shot! Ho hum, I wonder if Wondows 7 will be just as flakey?

Collapse -
Vista or hasta la Vista Baby?

The ONLY possible conclusion to this problem has to be that someone sold you vista with keys, yes with keys, but invalid keys not recognized by Microsoft. Remember, under win XP you could and maybe not get away with murder, i.e. install it with bootlegged keys but with vista,hmmmmmm you better watch out. They are going to catch alot of people with their pants down pretty soon if not soon.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.