Phones forum

General discussion

you mail

by whit2121 / October 22, 2007 8:40 AM PDT

has anyone used the site youmail.com and if so what is your thoughts on this website. it says you can check your cell phone messages in your email. it looks interesting and i want to try it, but i want to know has anyone else tried this before me. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: you mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: you mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Althought the service looks free
by PudgyOne / October 22, 2007 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: you mail

if you read the terms of service, you are charged for minutes to check your emails, unless you check them on a landline or computer.

http://www.youmail.com/login/corp/terms.do

You are also charged for text messages sent to your phone, unless you have a text message plan.

Why not just be creative and make your own voicemail. You can make it more personal this way. I hate it when the person has those stupid functions on the phone that you cannot understand.

Rick

Collapse -
i signed up for it a while back (see other posts)-review
by HoosierDrag / October 24, 2007 5:21 AM PDT

i checked youmail out a while ago and i got to play with it quite a bit so I'll make a few comments about my experience.

First off-- I've loved the service. It has really changed the way i interact with my cell phone. What was once a catch-all of messages is now a cool sleek voicemail experience.

The few niggles i had with it at first have been addressed; you can now create groups so one specific voicemail can be played to a selection of your contacts. you can create as many groups as you like: work, friends, relatives etc...

The other thing that i now really cool is that you can select greetings and assign them to contacts without any downloading/uploading etc... really simple! choose a greeting-choose a contact-voila!

The web interface is really cool. you can reply to voicemails via text or email right from the web page.

Smart caller-id rocks! i hate to answer unknown calls and at least now when that person leaves a voicemail the caller id shows up so i know who it is before having to check my voicemail. nice.

One of the few things i wish youmail would do is figure out a way to integrate my existing phone and computer contacts into the youmail contacts list.

As far as the cost part- there is no cost. i have unlimited texting and the call forwarding doesn't cost anything. Not sure what the other person reviewing it was trying to say. i looked at the FAQ link and it's pretty clear what youmail does and which part they are responsible for. it's no different that pinger, twitter or facebook mobile or any other service like that.

I hope this helps anyone else checking this out. At least try it and see how you like it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.