The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

you know what scares me?

by comppsyco / April 13, 2006 4:06 AM PDT

I was just reading the Google privacy policy, as I am like to do, and I found this passage about a condition under personal information may be shared:
"We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, its users or the public as required or permitted by law."
Look at (a). Scary. I mean, legal too, but, I don't know, the thought of all me records being subject to the government is just scary.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: you know what scares me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: you know what scares me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Okay honestly you need a reality check...
by Jasmes / April 13, 2006 5:07 AM PDT

"the thought of all me records being subject to the government is just scary."

...who do you think keeps the records in the first place...?

What could you possibly have in your gmail account info that is so secret and secure that the government won't already know about it?

They know how much money you make, where you live, what your telephone number is, who your kids are, where they go to school, what kind of car you drive, what crimes you have commited, where you went to school, where you work, what charities you donate to, what medical conditions and treatments you have, what prescriptions you take...

Take off your tinfoil hat. You're not nearly that important to the govn't.

Collapse -
Oh, fine
by comppsyco / April 16, 2006 2:23 PM PDT

I wasn't really worried. Just commenting.

Collapse -
If you're not doing anything wrong why worry?
by alpabarot / April 18, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

My main concern would be finding new ways to bug the crap out of me (spam, ie. unsolicited ads targeted to my personal interests) OR steal my identity.

I'm so jaded by spam and telemarketing that I hang up on charities.

Collapse -
Snakes scare me ...
by barret55 / April 13, 2006 5:13 AM PDT

.. the beeeeeee-jeezus out of me. Happy

-Terry

Collapse -
SOAP?
by csliva11 / April 17, 2006 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Snakes scare me ...

Not going to see "Snakes on a Plane" I imagine?

Collapse -
Oh, I'm DEFINITELY going to see it...
by barret55 / April 17, 2006 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: SOAP?

Seeing them on TV or in the movies don't bother me; seeing them in person scares the holy crap out of me... Happy

-Terry

Collapse -
Not Scary
by adkinsjm / April 13, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

From what I have read, they will comply with lawful government requests. In Google's defense, they were successful in getting the U.S. government to limit the scope of their subpoena. Rather than what be scared at what Google can share, wouldn't you be more concerned with them being able to aggregate all your private data?

I am not too concerned about Google yet.

Collapse -
What scares me...
by ajurina / April 13, 2006 5:29 AM PDT

...is that feeling you get when you lean back in a chair and almost fall back, but catch yourself at the last moment...and the fact that I feel that way all of the time.

Collapse -
OMG, I HATE that!!
by barret55 / April 13, 2006 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: What scares me...

Especially when you do it around a group of people, and they all turn and look at you funny.

-Terry

Collapse -
I am scared to DEATH by
by archaeo1 / April 16, 2006 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: What scares me...

Giant wheels of cheese attacking me when I sleep.

Crazy stuff, man!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thats why I like Mini Babybels. Nice and small.
by Jasmes / April 16, 2006 2:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
If you'r scared of Government Conspiracies - a cure
by moandjoe / April 16, 2006 3:25 PM PDT

At one time in my life I was worried that political leaders has sinister secret agenda's .. (come to think of it, I didn't like the public agenda's either) but I became so worried that I actually went to some plitical meetings, I asked questions of these Powerfull and influential people. I soke with them publically and privately.

I am now totally cured of any thought that they have the ability to form a consipacy. THEY ARE JUST TOO DAMN STOOPID !!!

When you think about all the leaks, and all the problems they have keeping anything secrete, How could anyone as stoopid as these manage a conspiracy.

Nah, I never tell theme more than they need to hear, and personnaly Google, Microsoft and the RIAA scare me more than any Government agency ever could.

Governments have to have due process and Legal review. Net company's have no accountability.

WOrry abut google giving away my information ... Nah, worry about Google or MSN HAVING my personal information ... HELL YES !!! I heven't met them, but I think they might be clever enough to do something with it.

Collapse -
I was surprised to learn
by Wendy P. / April 16, 2006 8:06 PM PDT

In my Criminal Procedure class this year, I was shocked at what law enforcement can do.

On a whim, a cop can fax a subpoena over to your ISP and get copies of all of your email. I had this mistaken belief that email was somewhat private, but it's not!

Companies get subpoenas all the time, and companies like AOL have people assigned to respond to them. I guess this happens all the time.

So stop searching for sketchy stuff, that's the moral of the story!

Collapse -
Nothing is really private these days.
by rechellesharp / April 16, 2006 9:47 PM PDT

That all seems rather standard as far as a privacy clause goes.

Nothing is private these days.

Collapse -
nothing is private...
by erlk / April 17, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

absolutely agree with that statement of David T.
But if you think about it - the personal information had never been private. If you put something out online - there was, and is, and will always be a risk that someone will get that information, and possibly use it in some way. Gov't agencies have all the rights to get all the data they need to do their background check and see what you are doing online. It might not be fair, people might now like it, but there is not much we can do about it. We can always go back to USPS, but who would actually want to do that??

Fez

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) A bear hold a shark is pretty scary.
by ajurina / April 17, 2006 6:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mysterious Myth or Legendary Legend?
by rtemp / April 17, 2006 7:27 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.