Alert

You guys will have to read this item.

My church won't let me.

"DNA computing takes logical leap
Researchers have shown off a "DNA computer" of unprecedented complexity, which can calculate square roots.
Scientists unveil a chemical computer of unrivalled complexity that may lead to "programmable chemistry" for biological and medical applications."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13626583

BUT lead researcher Arthur Dent says 'don't fly to conclusions'.
"It's so fast it has already given us the answer, but that turned out to be '42'. And even dpruner's kids can solve square roots."

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: You guys will have to read this item.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: You guys will have to read this item.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm confused.

You provide a link, include an extract from the page, then say that we will have to read it as "your church won't let you".

What won't your church let you do? Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
Also confused by that but think

he's not always that serious. My church, though making suggestions about such, cares less about what I input than what I output. Happy

- Collapse -
Maybe there's a JW internet

software his church requires it's members to install?

- Collapse -
Sorry, it was too involved to be a good joke.

The story had the look of yet another 'science outdoes creation' entry. (I did find it interesting.)
Turns out its forte is square roots, which doesn't sound like much, but it finds roots of very large numbers very quickly, which is useful in many fields besides the one mentioned.
Tony H spotted the spurious Arthur Dent reference.

As Steven noticed, 'my church won't let me' is my stock comedy line in the religion area. I don't go to "church", remember?
Happy

- Collapse -
DNA Computing ? Bah..Bistromathics is the most powerful.....

computational force known.

Bistromathics is a way of understanding the behavior of numbers. Just as Einstein observed that space was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in time, so it was realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Bistromathics

- Collapse -
Not exactly related but I remember
- Collapse -
(NT) TNX for the link.
- Collapse -
Hmmmm,sounds 'Mostly Harmless' just........

don't forget your towel Cool

- Collapse -
There are two kinds of people in the world. The ones who

first heard H^2G^2 on radio, and those who read the books. There's nothing quite like first hearing it over the radio, or a stereo (the first version I had was a trio of records from Britain). H^2G^2 was the first radio comedy series created in full stereo by the BBC Radiophonics Workshop and on a walkman in stereo it is mind-blowing in that ancient phrase. The Audio Tape was available and was a present for my son, Then the CD and MP3 versions were available and were presents for me. The MP3 version has lots of commentary and was released before Adams untimely death of natural causes at age 52. Adams was a friend of the members of Pink Floyd and the little blip on the record about the loudest rock band in the history of history itself is a tribute to them: Disaster Area, and their lead singer Hotblack Desiato who is spending a year dead for tax purposes.

I credit NPR for permanently frying my synapses immediately before leaving for Canada, where the series started all over again almost the day we arrived.

I also found the vinyl version here which is different from the radio version. I actually sent the tear out leaf at the back of the first edition of the novel in order to get volume 1 of the series. It has been a permanent bond between myself and my 23 year old son ever since. My wife just shakes her head in bewilderment to which periodically I whisper "Good".

I am less a fan of the non-Douglas Adams versions, but perhaps that means I'm growing old. I used to have fun identifying all the bits of records used in the original series like Terry Riley, A Rainbow in Curved Air and various other bits, and it is to that that I credit my son's virtually perfect taste in music, unbiased though I may be.

Actually my son walks the tightrope of musical tastes between us extremely well, liking the marginally likeable pop, and loving the Indie scene which has always been my personal interest.
Rob

Rob

- Collapse -
I would qualify on both of your counts............

and always held a soft spot for the radio series.

I heard the original radio series on WBAI,NY in '79 and promptly recorded my own cassettes on my old Onkyo receiver.I then proceeded to devour each of the "five books in the trilogy" as Adams released them.His sheer comedic genius and dry wit had me hooked.

Agreed on the Floyd ref,don't forget that because of the volume generated by a Disaster Area concert,the musicians played their instruments from a spaceship that was in orbit around a planet other than the one it was broadcast on!

- Collapse -
I had the BBC radio as an aircheck, but lost it

during a move. Sad Anything featuring a performer named Rula Lenska (a fine actress BTW) is worth having.

I found Adams' audiobook in a thrift store but haven't listened yet.
The TV version IMO was much inferior to either book or audio. My imagination was trained by both, so I get along fine w/o pix.

- Collapse -
And the catchy instrumental theme

turned out to be from an Eagles album, right?

I still get a kick out of the bit where God is outwitted by a philosopher and 'vanishes in a puff of logic'.

But don't tell my church.

- Collapse -
Yup,their "One of these Nights"album....

"Journey of the sorcerer" was the track.

- Collapse -
(NT) It's nice 2 see reference to H^2G^2 not generated by myself.

CNET Forums