HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

You can't be nice to people....

by Walt H / December 15, 2004 10:40 AM PST

I am without my car for a week so my neighbors just took it upon themselves to use my driveway periodically. To add insult to injury, when their guest come to visit them and see their car in my driveway, the next time the guest just pull in my driveway. I don't even know their guest. When I complain about it, they look at me as if somethings wrong with me. What ever happend to common courtesy?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: You can't be nice to people....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: You can't be nice to people....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe a nice sign would work
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2004 10:54 AM PST

Something like

Reserved for Sheriff Bart
Danger! Sink Hole Area
etc. Use your imagination
You got some nervy neighbors, I'd say.

Collapse -
My preference would be
by Diane Harrison / December 15, 2004 11:08 AM PST

to fashion something like the Highwy Patrol's spike strip that they use to stop pursuits. It's your property. It's trespassing on their part. If you happen to have nails on a strip of wood up in the driveway and they happen to park there, sounds like their problem.

OR, you could just be more covert, and buy a cheap little old tin of sardines, and happen to drop one of them or some oil near their motor block. Warning, that could be illegal and considered malicious mischief if you do it intentionaly once they've parked there. But having sardines hanging from a tree that overhangs the driveway, where the birds are like to peck at it (particularly if you put suet or seeds above it) would cause some equally noxious moments.

Putting a dead skunk carcass in back of their wheels where they have to back over it would also likely serve the cause.

If nothing else, call your local police to have their cars towed. An expensive lesson for them, but doesn't do much for neighborhood relations. If you think they might be dangerous, best not to try some of these stunts.

Collapse -
not dangerous
by Walt H / December 15, 2004 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: My preference would be

They're not dangerous, just DOPEY (as in they just don't think).

Collapse -
All my suggestions would be considered
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 11:36 AM PST

unlawful now-a-days in Texas, why they even made it illegal to rig a shotgun with rocksalt to go off at a distance to not kill when a door lock is disabled, can you believe that!

Try a hand printed sign in your driveway:

DRIVEWAY PROTECTED
BY SMITH & WESSON
NO PARKING

It worked for me in a vacant house I had some time ago.

Collapse -
Sign
by Walt H / December 15, 2004 11:48 AM PST

A couple of days ago as I was out exercising I saw a sign inside a gate which had a picture of a rather large dog with a caption that read "I can make it to the gate in 3 seconds can you"? I thought that was a cool sign.

Collapse -
Re: Sign..that will work. At
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: Sign

another residence some years back I put up a metal commercial sign on my back fence line after my dog died..."Beware of Dog". One day some kids passed by as I was attending my garden and said, "Hey Mister where is your dog?" I looked around all over and said he must be buried behind that shed sleeping. That satisfied them.

Collapse -
How 'bout
by MarciaB / December 15, 2004 11:39 AM PST

simply setting up a couple of garbage cans, or even a sawhorse or two, in the driveway in a conspicuous place, such as right at the entry.

Would they be so bold (dopey) as to get out, move the blockade, and continue to park there?

Collapse -
Or you could .......
by Glenda / December 15, 2004 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: How 'bout

Put up a sign with prices for parking here:)
Say $10.00 for 15 minutes?
That should give them the hint that your driveway is not a public parking lot.
Glenda

Collapse -
How about
by Brian S. / December 15, 2004 12:08 PM PST

PARKING $100 PER HOUR

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Darn it!! you beat me to it by 2 minutes!!! LOL
by Glenda / December 15, 2004 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: How about
Collapse -
I like that one...
by Walt H / December 15, 2004 12:25 PM PST

I like that one but I would have to add to it "PARKING $100 PER HOUR...and this means YOU TOO"!

Collapse -
How about Free parking
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2004 8:49 PM PST
In reply to: I like that one...
Must leave keys and credit card(s) in vehicleDevil
Collapse -
Re: How about free parking
by John Robie / December 16, 2004 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: How about Free parking

Excellent Steven.....possibly just add

"or be towed" or "or be towed for parking here"

to give it more teeth, and instead of a sign, print up some cards/small paper on your computer, place on windshield.

About 20 years ago someone gave me a stack of business cards to put on someone windshield when they took up more than their lined parking space, apparently I used them all, but it went something like..Thanks a lot for taking up two parking spaces, you...........

Collapse -
Where's my receipt?
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / December 15, 2004 11:06 PM PST

Tax purpose Happy

AND

if something (bad) happens to my car, watch out of for the lawsuit your way Happy

cl

Collapse -
how about the next time they park there
by Mark5019 / December 15, 2004 12:29 PM PST

call up a friend have them park to block them in and go inside and make it impossible for the unwanted car to leave

Collapse -
There are some "devious" people....
by Walt H / December 15, 2004 12:32 PM PST

in this fourm.....Gosh I LOVE this place! Happy

Honestly I had thought about doing that one.

Collapse -
like make sure there right up to the car back your car down
by Mark5019 / December 15, 2004 12:34 PM PST

and when they knock on your door to get out you say to your friend why do you want to leave Grin

Collapse -
I can take that one a step further.....
by Walt H / December 15, 2004 12:40 PM PST

I thought of having a friend come over, leave his car and have the spouse pick him up, take his keys with him. When the neighbor come over to ask to be let out, tell them a friend had a little too much to drink and his wife picekd him up and he has HIS car keys. Happy

Collapse -
Hmmmm......
by John Robie / December 15, 2004 1:27 PM PST

If your friend is parked parallel blocking your driveway, the city may have an ordnance against that and the guy trapped may call police. Course then you could file a citizens complaint of Trespassing using the police officers report as proof. Your friend may get fined as well as the Trespasser.

I kinda take it you don't want the police involved and also have your neighbor that upset.

Signs may be the best way to go or string up some of that yellow ribbon you can get like "Police Line" or is it the yellow ribbon "Caution".. "Keep Out" you can get at a hardware stone.

In this area, when a big party, they not only park in your driveway, but in your yard. A few words takes care of the problem

JR
Not a lawyer.

Collapse -
Guess I'm more malicious
by Diane Harrison / December 15, 2004 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmmm......

If you're going to use tape, crime scene tape would be nice - to wrap around his car. A sign "Reserved for Undercover State Police Cars" might may him pause and think twice. Or maybe, "Parking reserved for rude and inconsiderate people who don't ask permission first."

Or maybe just putting a "For Sale" sign with a realy cheap price on it on his back window might get the point across Wink Otherwise, I think it's time for you to hose down the dirt portions of your yard. Aim the stream right at his car, so the maximum amount of splashback goes onto it making it into a mud pie. Repeat each time he parks there, and he might get tired of the car wash bills LOL.

Collapse -
Gosh....
by Walt H / December 15, 2004 9:47 PM PST

I LOVE this place!!! Happy

Collapse -
I like the for sale sign idea
by Dragon / December 20, 2004 2:17 AM PST
"Fer Sale, Cheep"
Call 555-1234
24 hours
Collapse -
I'm not a lawyer either, but.....
by Josh K / December 15, 2004 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmmm......

....if a car is blocking my driveway, I'm pretty sure I have to complain before the police will ticket or tow the car. In this case, since I asked the driver to block my driveway, I don't think the neighbors can complain (and they'd have a lot of chutzpah if they did).

Forgive the stupid question, but have you tried knocking on their door and telling them to get their car out of your driveway?

Collapse -
Sorry, overlooked your statement.....
by Josh K / December 15, 2004 10:52 PM PST

...that you've already complained.

In that case, a call to the police sounds in order.

Collapse -
I think he is trying to avoid that way, Josh
by Diane Harrison / December 15, 2004 10:58 PM PST

I gather it's annoying him and he wants it stopped, but does not want to raise things to the level of involving the police. After all, they are still neighbors.

Collapse -
They're pretty bad neighbors though....
by Josh K / December 16, 2004 2:17 AM PST

...if he's already complained and they've poo-pooed his complaints. Doesn't sound to me like they're at all respectful of him and IMO nothing would be lost if he called the cops. It's HIS driveway after all. Those people have some nerve!!

Collapse -
Excuse me, Walt ....
by MarciaB / December 15, 2004 10:59 PM PST

.... but we prefer the term Creative rather than devious.

Although maybe "Creatively Devious" would be more appropriate.

Or would that be Deviously Creative?

Grin

Collapse -
Either way Marcia....
by Walt H / December 16, 2004 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Excuse me, Walt ....

it's the CONCEPT that I like. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Stand up for your prop/tenant rights
by caktus / December 15, 2004 1:56 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) HAVE THEM TOWED. WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN.
by dirtyrich / December 15, 2004 8:06 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.