Speakeasy forum

"You can fool some of the People some of the Time ... "

by Ziks511 / October 11, 2013 2:31 PM PDT

"The Republican Party has been badly damaged in the ongoing government shutdown and debt limit standoff, with a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finding that a majority of Americans blame the GOP for the shutdown, and with the party's popularity declining to its lowest level.

"By a 22-point margin (53 percent to 31 percent), the public blames the Republican Party more for the shutdown than President Barack Obama - a wider margin of blame for the GOP than the party received during the poll during the last shutdown in 1995-96."

Despite being owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corpse, even he couldn't fiddle the 22% majority of people who blame the GOP for the shut down of government.

Looks like this has been an expensive piece of whining and tantrums for the Republicans in the up coming year. Stick it in your ear Teddy, and hold your breath 'til I call.

Looks good on the Neanderthals.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "You can fool some of the People some of the Time ... "
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "You can fool some of the People some of the Time ... "
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think that, if you look farther into the poll than just
by Steven Haninger / October 11, 2013 7:58 PM PDT

what pleases your eye, you won't see anywhere that those who responded are very pleased with either party, its factions or individuals who are their leaders. Our president has dropped considerably in overall confidence right along with the rest of them. Do you think that if the Reps would disappear, suddenly everyone would embrace the remaining? Keep on cheering if you want but I don't see any winners emerging.

Collapse -
I agree with you, but that wasn't my point, nor was it the
by Ziks511 / October 11, 2013 10:30 PM PDT

point of the poll. The poll was about which party were considered to be more at fault for the current ludicrous situation. And the results in that respect speak for themselves.

I think that if you were to look at data regarding the obstructionism, constant disrespect and nasty language used against the President, the unprecedented use of the Senatorial Filibuster in Tabling Legislation, Blocking Nominations, and general bloody-minded non-cooperation, you'd find even more people disenchanted with the GOP, but that wasn't the question either. And 41 attempts to kill the Affordable Care Act may seem principled to some but it looks like both time-wasting and obstructionism to the rest of us. Obama fought his first election based on his intention to introduce that legislation. He was stone-walled and amended into near oblivion despite having won the election and a majority in the House. His first two years were quite productive despite the unprecedented use of the Filibuster and the insistence on a Super Majority for many pieces of legislation.

The House passed to the Republicans and their lack-lustre leader John Boehner owing to State Gerrymandering of districts. Obama none the less won a renewed Mandate by a substantial majority again, in the face of a campaign by the Republiant;s against what they call Obamacare. Despite lies and deception he won handily again. Have the Republican's backed off their tantrums? Not a bit. They're still rolling around on the floor like ill bred 4 year olds screaming that it's all so unfair that they didn't win the election and that they're going to hamstring the government. When people hear that information on virtually every unbiased news source day after day, and when they see Ted Cruz whining like a 9 year old denied a new iPod, they don't have much respect for any members of Congress, but it still isn't hard to figure out who the ******** are.

Now you can try to change the terms of reference or go off on any tangent you like, but the fact is that 53 % of the respondents to a Wall Street Journal/NBC poll think the Republicans are at fault, and only 31 % think the Democrats are. I'd put the 31% down to FoxNoise and Republican Talk Radio Disinformation. The fact that 22% are unwilling to offer an opinion is also a testament to the success of the Republican Noise Machine, but even if you divide that number as 1/3 Democrat to 2/3 Republican, the Dems are at 60% or better. That's hardly what I'd call encouraging for Republicans wishing to stay the course. And I keep seeing articles in all sorts of news sites by Republicans moaning about the damage being done to their "Brand" by the infantile behaviour indulged in by the current crop of party hacks.

Now there are plenty of Democrats that embarrass me, but none of them comes close to Michelle Bachmann or Ted Cruz or the panoply of paranoid pre-teens currently camping out under the big Elephant tent.

I'd be willing to bet that if some solution isn't found, it will be all uphill for Republicans in 2016, and even if they win the Presidency, and the House and Senate. Why should the Democrats refrain from using the tactics taught by this bunch of sphincter politicians under the Republican banner. Do you think that you're immune to the stupidity you've introduced into the legislative process? The phrase Dead Meat sort of springs to mind.

Tough luck,

Collapse -
I pay no attention to the polls
by TONI H / October 11, 2013 8:03 PM PDT

even the Fox ones.......polls are designed to give the results you want by the very questions that are asked and how they are worded. I wouldn't be cheering just yet, Rob.......BO said he wouldn't negotiate, but the very fact that he has had four or more meetings with different factions of the Congress indicates that he IS negotiating.

Collapse -
(NT) Neither did Mitt Romney, and look what it got him ! Rob
by Ziks511 / October 11, 2013 10:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
Your statement here
by TONI H / October 11, 2013 10:56 PM PDT

>>>Despite lies and deception he won handily again.>>> says it all........he and his party lied over and over again even to the point of blaming Romney for killing a woman, as usual, and that's how he won.

New poll.....done at a liberal college yesterday that shows college students overwhelmingly blame Democrats and BO with Republicans barely rating two marks (there were three, but one was rescinded and put into the BO column). As I said, depending on how a poll question is worded, you will get the results you want...especially from a liberal poll. As the same question a different way or a specific way instead of vaguely, and the results are much different.

I still believe you are cheering too soon........as more and more people end up with no job or only part time instead of full time, the Dems will pay the price.

Collapse -
And you can hardly accuse the WallStreet Journal of slanting
by Ziks511 / October 11, 2013 11:08 PM PDT

the poll in favour of the Democrats. If it hadn't been a poll containing a significant pro-Republican element in the creation and administration of the poll, I wouldn't have posted it, because I would have considered it, in my phrase of yore, "The sound of one hand clapping."

I don't post here to hear myself talk, I post here to offer an opposing view with some substance behind it, some research, some modicum of credibility to it.

I don't think, for example, that all news organizations are dominated by one group or another. I think that the Washington Times is a Conservative rag, just as the Washington Post has been a Liberal rag (though don't tell that to Jimmy Carter whom they savaged). Whether that continues to be true under the new owner remains to be seen.

I don't know the names of extreme Liberals who own large numbers of newspapers or television stations, but it's certainly hard not to notice the activities of Rupert Murdoch and his glorious News Corpse franchise world wide. The NY Post and the Wall Srreet Journal are his playthings, and who knows how many others there are in the US. And it is impossible to avoid his constant drum beat for the most retrograde Coolidge-style Republicanism and gross manipulation of the news, and constant editorial comment in the middle of news stories on Fox. You can't point to any paper on the other side of the spectrum or any television station which is that one-sided with that record of bias and cheerleading for one party. You may possibly think you can, but an honest evaluation would prove you wrong. All that Nixon BS about the Liberal Media Conspiracy was Nixonian Paranoia a trait both he and most of his advisors had bristling out of them in every way possible. The same Media he complained about were roasting LBJ for years before and positively savaged and destroyed Jimmy Carter, but acted as cheerleaders for Ronnie and Georgie 2. It was people outside the media who wanted W's a$$ in a sling, not the NYT or the WaPo or the St. Louis Post Dispatch or the LA Times. The FCC used to expect contrary opinion on every news channel and programme, and the Main Stream Media adhered to that expectation and still do. How Fox gets away with its one-sided bile is a mystery to me.

CNN used to employ Robert Novak, MSNBC has Joe Scarborough, Fox has which recognized Liberal Voice as a staff person with a daily show?? Fox has Sean Hannity interviewing Ted Cruz, and both of them licking one another like dogs in the street. Now that's what I call fair and balanced LaughDevil . At least when CBS interviewed Barney Frank they challenged him by quoting opposing views and opposing politicians to elicit his response. Hannity and Chris Wallace, and Bill-O the Clown interview the guys from their own side in order to give them free airtime to express their beliefs, and encourage them to go farther, rather than asking questions based on contrary opinions. It's Puff-ball Central there in terms of Hard Political Questions.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?