The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

You asked for it, you got it - iPhones, maybe....

BREAKING: Cingular to partner with Apple

By David Ciccone, posted 1 second ago
Reader Comments: 2

From what the Wall Street Journal has just released that Cingular will be the provider for the anticipated Apple phone.

Cingular Wireless is expected to provide wireless service for a new Apple Computer Inc. cellphone, people familiar with the situation say.

The launch of the new phone and service is expected to be announced as early as Tuesday, these people say.

The new product could give Apple access to the huge wireless business, in which nearly a billion handsets are shipped every year, dwarfing the nearly 70 million iPods Apple has sold over the past five years.

Read the entire story: (subscription required) Wall Street Journal (http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?mg=wsj-users2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB116830347326670832.html%3Fmod%3Dhome_whats_news_us)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: You asked for it, you got it - iPhones, maybe....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: You asked for it, you got it - iPhones, maybe....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional info from WSJ

In reply to: You asked for it, you got it - iPhones, maybe....

FREE PREVIEW
Great Expectations Juice Up Apple's Trade Show
By Nick Wingfield and Li Yuan
Word Count: 1,107 | Companies Featured in This Article: Apple Computer, AT&T, Yahoo, TiVo

On the home page of Apple Computer Inc.'s Web site last week, the company began running an image of a bright light emerging from behind the company's logo with the tantalizing message: "The first 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007."

The image is classic Apple showmanship, a teaser for this week's Macworld conference in San Francisco, where the company is expected to put an end to months of speculation about the new products it has on deck for 2007. The anticipation for this year's Macworld -- the main trade show for Apple products -- has been unusually ...
? THE FULL WSJ.com ARTICLE IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS.

Collapse -
As excited as I am...

I hope Cingular woun't mess it up by locking it somehow.

And if it's coming out in days, it's gonna be announced tomorrow.

Collapse -
Unfortunately,

In reply to: As excited as I am...

You have to expect it to be locked. Had the deal been made with Motorola or another cellular hardware manufacturer, then you could have a setup that could go to any vendor, but since it's with an actual service provider, well - then it looks some people are going to be switching to Cingular.

Lucky for me, I already have Cingular.

Collapse -
I'll stick with Sprint...

I'm happy with Sprint and I'm not about to change to a crappy service just to get an iPhone (which so far doesn't sound THAT exciting)

Collapse -
STUPID

I can't understand for the life of me why Apple is playing "dictator" to those who want an iPhone. I too am a happy Sprint customer and everyone I know who has had Cingular has dropped their service.

Bad move by Apple. They would make bazillions more money if they make this iPhone a service universal phone...Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc...

Collapse -
It's not Apples fault.

In reply to: STUPID

The providers control the market. They all want exclusive deals for phones. I can't think of any hot new phone that was available to all. It's sad, but it's the world we live in.

Collapse -
UHHH RAZR

In reply to: It's not Apples fault.

Last time I checked, every provider has the RAZR and its the best selling phone on the market! Apple goofs again.

Collapse -
Not when it was new

In reply to: UHHH RAZR

The RAZR was originally Cingular only I believe. I remember because my friend waited two years and then it finally became available for Verizon. So, it's available to everyone now, but it wasn't always that way.

Collapse -
That's the way they always do it.

In reply to: Not when it was new

If it's new and hot, it's exclusive. When the new wears off then everyone can have it. All you need is patience if you want it on your current carrier.

Collapse -
disappointed by apple

In reply to: STUPID

The I phone is not really what I expected my cingular and they are probly going to lock the phone im staying a 2 gadget man and staying with altell. You never know though if they sell the phone over the apple web site then it shouldnt be locked though. why would I buy a phone off the internet just to go to cingular to activate it. apple has mad me sad though. They better strighten up or the Phone is going to be a flop.
~DC~

Collapse -
Let me repeat

In reply to: disappointed by apple

It's not Apples fault. Apple doesn't own any cell towers. They have to what the provider wants. The providers have all the power.

Collapse -
LOL at all of this moaning

It's funny to see that no matter what, people LOVE to b*tch.

You people are so far removed from the people I know... you can't imagine the number of e-mails and phone calls I've received in the past hour that go something like "**** have you SEEN this thing? I want it NOW!"

Apple will have absolutely ZERO problems getting this phone sold by the time they ship. Again, the major bummer about all of this is that it's 5 months away.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Agreed...

In reply to: LOL at all of this moaning

Just now saw the pics of the new iPhone, and I am absolutely going to get one, yesterday if possible...

Collapse -
Yeah...

I'm sure the people you hang with represent the population real well...shocking that the Apple fan boys would LOVE this product.

Collapse -
And them griping....

Means they want the phone so much, that they are actually bummed it's not on their network...

Collapse -
and you're arrogance...

In reply to: And them griping....

is stupid. People can point out George W. Bush is an idiot. It doesn't mean that they want to be president.

Collapse -
I do!

In reply to: and you're arrogance...

I would give free iPhones to all Wink

Collapse -
Totally Different....

In reply to: and you're arrogance...

There's no "majority rules" in getting an iPhone, it's entirely up to you. So why should you be bummed it's not on your network if it's that bad anyways?

P.S. "I don't know who's more of a fool, the fool himself, or the one who follows him" - Star Wars (Meaning, calling george W. Bush an idiot, is calling a majority of America an idiot.)

Collapse -
If released in Australia...

Only one network can support the iPhone and that'll be Telstra. They're the only network to have the EDGE technology enabled.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.