HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

Question

Yosemite

by djohlson / February 23, 2015 9:34 PM PST

Yosemite worth the upgrade?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yosemite
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yosemite
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If one asks I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2015 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Yosemite

The attraction isn't there for them yet. At our office we go with the latest release so we find out if our apps falter sooner than if an user reports it. Everyday folk can just stick with what they have for years.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
And I'll say that if your Mac meet the specs for Yosemite
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2015 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Yosemite
Collapse -
What are the problems - so far - with Yosemite
by JessGless / March 5, 2015 3:55 AM PST

So, if I install this new version of the OS how many software packages will I be losing this time around.

What are some of the other problems incurred with this new OS version?

How many drivers will I have to be updating?

How much of a RAM Hog is this new version? I only have 4 Gig of RAM, so it it is going to take up 3/4 of that just to run . . . . . . . ???

Collapse -
I'd start a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2015 4:02 AM PST

Since there's no list of your apps no one can guess what you might lose.

There are some machines (like a certain 2011 Mini) that had WiFi woes on resume from sleep. Outside of that some blast the OS for us having to forget old networks and set it up again. To me that's pretty normal but then I deal with machines that run all sorts of OSes.

As to RAM. This OS should use every byte of RAM even if for a trivia reason. RAM beats HD access everytime.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.