Computer Help forum

General discussion

Yippee!Got my 1st virus!now have USB file corruption...HELP!

by bunniegirl / July 1, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

Greetings....

Windows XP using an USB port...

Need to recover an HTML file placed in folder by a virus technician who remotely worked on my computer. The virus was thought to be contained on the USB.

The original data on the USB was created using Epressions-in an htm extension. The HTML or htm document housed many internet links and google advertisements. (not sure that is pertinent). The USB data was saved only in individual files. (no folders)

After he (the McAfee tech) did work we noticed a new folder named the SAME as one of our files. His naming it the same, may have overwritten the original file. Not knowing the importance of the unknown folder we deleted it. We have since used the deleted file recovery route. Successfully got back 3/4 of the data. The remaining 1/4 is 'underneath' another piece of an html document. It is really odd...seems within reach and yet a piece of "paper" is glued ontop on the info. (easiest way I could describe it).

Would one assume that I now have a corrupt file? OR a damaged file? Why is it melded to another? Sorta looks like it was pasted on the top of the orginal document.

Any suggestion on how to unlock the pasting? I mean can I reach the data that is under the other? Any suggestions to back track? Have ran several file deletion recovery programs. They all find and restore the same documents...only as I described...pasted over the other.

Husband has an axe...not sure if he is coming after me...or heading for the computer. This data took him 3 weeks to amass. 19 hours a day. Any advice to stop this inevitable gash in my head would be appreciated. Owwweeee....this is gonna hurt. Please help!

Bunnie

MOD...if I placed this in the wrong category, I am sorry. I struggled with where it was appropriate. Please move if it would be better elsewhere.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yippee!Got my 1st virus!now have USB file corruption...HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yippee!Got my 1st virus!now have USB file corruption...HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If It Took Three Weeks To Create, Backups Were Created?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 4:03 AM PDT

Can you not use the backups? We hear stories of members that took years to create a doctoral thesis and didn't make a backup of the document. Is it the same here? Did your husband make a backup of the data?

If the file was placed on an external USB, is there not a copy on the actual hard drive?

If none of the above are available, and if the document is extremely important, you may want to take it to a professional recovery company. Have you researched those yet?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Back UP? Isn't that something only the wise does?
by bunniegirl / July 1, 2009 4:44 AM PDT

I know you may think this is funny...but we got the usb as we thought it was a backup! He hadn't considered a crash or a virus or a loss. It was just there. Now we know. Backup Backup Backup.

No he kept everything completely on the usb.

Yes I have called Geek S**** to inquire. But I still can't get anyone that can tell me if they or anyone else can recover or restore a folder write...that I feel over wrote the file by simply using the same name. I did run three free undelete programs. And they worked well! Everything that was deleted was restored. But this one portion of data...it is just odd.

I will contact more restoration companies. If there is any other suggestions...please keep em coming!

Thanks Grif for your suggestion! and support...and reminder to BACKUP! Wish you had told me that three weeks back! ; ) The axe is still within sight!

Collapse -
Professional Recovery Companies...Not Geek Squad
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 1:46 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!