Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Yet another tie between the Swifties and the Bush Campaign

Lawyer Advising Vets Quits Bush Campaign.

How much longer will folks here continue to accept the fiction that the Swifities campaign of lies distortion and distortion is financed and run in coordination and Rove and company -- just like the (unfortunately successful) similar campaigns against McCain and Cleland in 2000 and 2002.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yet another tie between the Swifties and the Bush Campaign
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yet another tie between the Swifties and the Bush Campaign
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yawwwwwwwn.........

In reply to: Yet another tie between the Swifties and the Bush Campaign

Collapse -
and a lawyer working for the DNC doing exactly

the same thing. Why not mention that Dave?

Collapse -
Re: and a lawyer working for the DNC doing exactly

In reply to: and a lawyer working for the DNC doing exactly

NBC news last night showed two 'connections' between Bush and the SwiftBoats. One was the lawyer who resigned (after giving them legal advice only but felt he was a detraction for the Bush campaign and resigned....I posted about this yesterday in another thread) and a woman who also was giving them advice (I don't recall her field right now).

But, NBC then listed all of the connections between Kerry and Moveon.org and another two groups. There were six or seven named showing their connections also to the DNC and three of them are actually on the payroll of the DNC. That appears to me to be a much closer connection and conflict than the two reported for Bush.

Kerry's cans of worms just keeps multiplying.......

TONI

Collapse -
Glad to hear that Kerry is keeping up with Bush

In reply to: Re: and a lawyer working for the DNC doing exactly

justifies my decision not to vote for either even more. How people can make a choice between two "nogoodniks" and brag about it is beyond me!

Collapse -
He's not keeping up. He invented the tactic.

In reply to: Glad to hear that Kerry is keeping up with Bush

The links between Kerry/Dems and their 527 groups are clear and acknowledged by the Dems. Links between Bush and the 527s appear to be circumstantial.

Collapse -
Re: He's not keeping up...

In reply to: He's not keeping up. He invented the tactic.

Dont you ever read a post and understand it? Bush and Kerry both smell like rotten fish and no matter how you want to warp things the smell does not go away!

Collapse -
That's your opinion ...

In reply to: Re: He's not keeping up...

... what makes it better than anyone elses? Let's see ... some circumstancial links were found between Bush and SVFT -- all have severed ties to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Many more long standing ties between Kerry/DNC and the likes of MoveOn.org have been uncovered. Far from distancing themselves, all the ties remain and are even being defended as righteous. Yeah, that's really both smelling like fish huh? Sheesh.

Collapse -
Re: and a lawyer working for the DNC doing exactly

In reply to: and a lawyer working for the DNC doing exactly

Hi, KP.

First, that's an allegation by the guy who's resigned because of his actions. Second, this is merely one in a large number of ties between Bush campaign people and the Swifties -- it's the aggregate weight of the links that give the lie to the "no coordination or connection" story, not any individual piece by itself.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
speaking of agregate links

In reply to: Re: and a lawyer working for the DNC doing exactly

Collapse -
Another Bush Vet link exposed!!!!!

A veteran that is speaking his mind in the campaign is a $136K/year Bush political appointee, it has been revealed! The vet was appointed by Bush in 2003 to be one of the directors of the Export-Import Bank in 2003. To make matters worse, the appointment amounts to a cushy job for a government agency commonly critized for doling out that evil corporate welfare. There has to be a Haliburton connection there somewhere.
Oops, the link is to Max Cleland and Bush has apparently been illegally coordinating the attacks against him!

A $136,000 Link
Max Cleland, Bush political appointee.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I think that enough is

In reply to: Another Bush Vet link exposed!!!!!

enough. The real issues right now are the economy,the state of social security, Health insurance,medicare and taxes. I think it is time these "candidates" adressed the issues and cut out the red herrings and smokescreens. That's why for my money they both smell bad!

Collapse -
Re: I think that enough is

In reply to: I think that enough is

Let's not forget Al Qaeda and Iraq. These Swift Boat guys should really be calling themselves "Swift Boat Veterans for Trying to Make People Forget what the Real Issues Are Because We Don't Want You to Think About Those When Voting."

Collapse -
Oh yeah ...

In reply to: Re: I think that enough is

... lots of Swift Boats fighting the war on terror these days. John Kerry reporting for duty!

How about YOUR guy devoting at least as much time detailing HOW he would fight the threats of today rather than droaning on about his Vietnam experiences.

He's the one that has done this. Any political advisor worth their salt would tell Kerry that the best way to make this go away would be to release the records, after all, the truth is on his side, right? The threats of lawsuits against media outlets, cries to take Unfit for Command off the bookshelves, dirt digging into the background of each and every vet, blaming Bush, etc. have only raised their profile and try as you all may, it was NEVER Bush that took us on this journey backwards in the firstplace.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The Kerry campaign already uses that theme.

Collapse -
Re: I think that enough is

Well, the Bush Administration has a good (not perfect) record in fighting the war on terror. His tax cuts have been credited by many leading economists and the likes of Greenspan for the economic growth. Bush actually delivered on most of his campaign promises of 2000. I believe that his convention will focus on his vision of a more "ownership" society -- privatizing part of social security, medical savings accounts, keeping more of our hard earned dollars. There have been hints at an ambitious plan to address meaningful taxation reform.

One thing for sure, you won't find the Republican Convention being a 4 day infomercial about his service 35 years ago. He will talk about his record and how he plans to build upon it regarding those issues.

Bush would gladly engage Kerry on the issues. His Senate record gives no clues to his competancy to lead this country on any of those issues. Let's just look at the major pieces of education, healthcare, veterans issues and intelligence legislation that bear his name that he has led in their passage. Oh yeah. There's not a one.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kerry has a Senate record?

Collapse -
Sure does. Missed 79% of intelligence...

In reply to: (NT) Kerry has a Senate record?

committee meetings in the 8 years he was on the committee.

Collapse -
Yep and it makes

In reply to: (NT) Kerry has a Senate record?

a real quick read since there isn't much on it........

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kerry created this issue. Now he wants it to go away?

Collapse -
Terrible but...

1. Former Kerry Campaign Manager Jim Jordan Founded Thunder Road Group, A Consulting Firm Representing America Coming Together, The Media Fund And America Votes. "Jim Jordan, a Winston-Salem native, was fired as John Kerry's presidential campaign manager in November?. Now he has started his own consulting firm, called Thunder Road Group. The firm is representing America Coming Together, the Media Fund, and America Votes, all pro-Democratic 527 political organizations gearing up for the 2004 election." ("People," National Journal, 2/28/04)

2. Harold Ickes Is A Member Of DNC's Executive Committee And Head Of The Media Fund And Chief Of Staff To America Coming Together. Ickes "Admits That He Occasionally Tells The Kerry Camp What He's Up To, And He Insists It's Perfectly Legal." (Jim Drinkard, "'Outside' Political Groups Full Of Party Insiders," USA Today, 6/28/04; Paula Dwyer, "Why 527 Is The Dems' Lucky Number," BusinessWeek Online, 7/28/04)

3. MoveOn.org's Zack Exley Joined Kerry Campaign As Director Of Online Communications And Organizing. (Sharon Theimer, "MoveOn Staffer Moves On To Kerry Campaign," The Associated Press, 4/7/04)

4. Bob Bauer Of Perkins Coie Is Legal Counsel To Both Kerry Campaign And America Coming Together (ACT). (Jim Rutenberg And Kate Zernike, "Veteran's Group Had GOP Lawyer," The New York Times, 8/25/04)
* Kerry Campaign Paid Bauer's Law Firm, Perkins Coie, $360,244.28 For Legal Services And Other Expenses. (Federal Election Commission Records, www.fec.gov, Accessed 8/5/04)
* America Coming Together (ACT) Paid Bauer's Law Firm, Perkins Coie, $176,732 For Legal Services And Other Expenses. (Political Money Line Website, www.tray.com, Accessed 8/5/04)

5. Joe Sandler Is General Counsel To DNC While Serving As Legal Counsel To 527s MoveOn.org And Moving America Forward. (Jonathan Groner, "Power Punch," Legal Times, 4/26/04)

6. Erik Smith Is The Media Fund's Executive Director And Worked With Steve Elmendorf, Kerry's Deputy Campaign Manager, On **** Gephardt's Presidential Campaign. (Jim VandeHei, "Kerry Expected To Emerge From Battle Stronger Than Ever," The Washington Post, 3/3/04)

7. Minyon Moore, A Kerry Campaign Consultant, Serves On Executive Committee Of America Coming Together. (Glen Johnson, "Kerry To Press 'Environmental Justice,'" The Boston Globe, 4/22/03; Lisa Getter, "Kerry Aided By 'Illegal' Soft Money, GOP Claims," Los Angeles Times, 4/1/04)

8. Media Fund Ad Consultant Bill Knapp Hired By Kerry Campaign. (Thomas B. Edsall, "Shifting The Money So The Votes Will Follow," The Washington Post, 5/11/04)

9. Former ACT Employee Rodney Shelton Hired As Kerry's Arkansas State Director. (Michael R. Wickline, "Arkansan To Head Kerry's State Effort," Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, 6/22/04)

10. Kerry's New Mexico Caucus Director, Geri Prado, Is Leading ACT's GOTV Effort In That State. (Michael Finnegan, "Kerry's Low Profile May Cost Crucial Latino Votes," Los Angeles Times, 5/3/04)

Don't Forget The Dewey Square Group Provides Political Consulting Services For Both Kerry Campaign And America Coming Together (ACT).

* Kerry Campaign Has Paid Dewey Square Group $194,936.48 For Political Consulting And Other Expenses. (Federal Election Commission Records, http://www.fec.gov, Accessed 8/5/04)
* America Coming Together (ACT) Has Paid Dewey Square Group $51,808 For Political Consulting And Other Expenses. (Political Money Line Website, http://www.tray.com, Accessed 8/5/04)
* At Least Four Kerry Advisors Are Associated With Dewey Square Group: Michael Whouley, Jill Alper, Minyon Moore And Joe Ricca. (Glen Johnson, "Kerry To Press 'Environmental Justice,'" The Boston Globe, 4/22/03; Dewey Square Group Website, http://www.deweysquare.com/, Accessed 2/5/04; Peter Grier, "How Kerry Turned The Corner," Christian Science Monitor, 2/5/04; Glen Johnson and John Aloysius Farrell, "Kerry's New-Look Campaign Relies On A Few Key Players," The Boston Globe, 1/9/03)

And Michael Meehan, Now A Communications Advisor To Kerry, Was Hired By NARAL In 2003 To "Oversee Its Vastly Expanded Soft-Money Operation." His Hiring Was "Billed As A Two-Month Leave From His Job As Political Director Of NARAL." (Carol Beggy and Mark Shanahan, "Names," The Boston Globe, 11/21/03; Chris Cillizza, "NARAL Plans Big '04 Effort," Roll Call, 5/8/03)

http://georgewbush.com/KerryMediaCenter/Read.aspx?ID=3367

Collapse -
Yes, but did you know

Australia has a population of 20million people and have won 16 gold medals as compared 25 gold won by the USA with a population of 280million. Yes that's right 20:16 as opposed to 280:25.

Well it seemed relavent to the conversation to me and more important!!!!

Collapse -
Re: Yes, but did you know -- Hmmm

In reply to: Yes, but did you know

Hi, Pete.

Were you trying to post to the Olympics thread, or is this a complete non-sequitur?

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re: Yet another tie between the Swifties and the Bush Campai

All I know is that the ugly emails I get are 100% ant-Kerry.

There is a newer one going around that smears Edwards.

Fortunately, they only come from the same four people. I must say it is tempting to block them. Happy But, they are good folks, only guilty of really believing the garbage they send.

Angeline

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.