Laptops forum

General discussion

Yet another laptop 4 school question =)

I'm looking for a laptop for school use. After browsing various sites and forums and comparing reviews I have some rough idea what I'm looking for. The laptop will primarily be used for essays and notes, with substantive web browsing as well. Having the ability to watch avi's and dvd's in decent quality is a definite plus, but not a requirement. Long battery life is preferable, and somewhat lightweight as it'll will be lugged back and forth and around campus on a daily basis. For typing purposes a somewhat normal size keyboard would be better than say an Asus Eee. Finally, whatever I'm purchasing needs to last me three years, so the best reliability coupled with good customer service is desirable.

The four laptops that I'm currently considering are as follows.
Sony VAIO NR-430 (But is it sufficient?)
Sony VAIO NR-968
Gateway T-6386
Lenovo X-61 w/ 8 cell (Lenovo is offering this at a back to school discount)

I realize the last one is a huge jump in price, but if its worth it I don't mind shelling out the bucks. Of course I'm probably skipping out some good choices so by all means don't limit the response to this. I'm hesitant about
Dell, had a sibling havea bad experience with them but if there's would be the best choice I'd do it. Thank you so much for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yet another laptop 4 school question =)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yet another laptop 4 school question =)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even that first sony will do schoolwork.

In reply to: Yet another laptop 4 school question =)

Collapse -
Survival rate

In reply to: Even that first sony will do schoolwork.

Do you mean that an average laptop won't survive at all - hardware malfunctions and the like - or that it would become outdated? And that being said, is there any point in the extended warranties offered by places like Best Buy? Are they worth it?

Collapse -
Today I'm guessing 2 years

In reply to: Survival rate

The units are so cheap today so why not plan to replace it in a few years? Then if you are good and gentle you won't have to.
Bob

Collapse -
Extended warranties

In reply to: Survival rate

If you buy the notebook with MasterCard or VISA, you will get an additional year of warranty for free. The catch is that you may have to ship somewhere to get it fixed. But the same is true from most anywhere you buy from.

DO NOT BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES. They are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Here is how this extended warranty business works: the reason the salespeople (even the cashiers if the sales rep didn't collar you) push hard for you to buy them is because they can get up to 50% commission.

Electronics are solid-state, meaning there's no loose part, or items that push electrons are not exposed to air.

Unless you drop it, bang it up or soak it they should work for quite a while.

Besides, if you should cause damage as described above the extended warranty will not cover you as this is considered abuse. Abuse is not covered.

So they get your money and you get a piece of paper with many exclusions.

Save your money and buy extra RAM. That will do you very well.

About lasting three years: at the pace technology moves, and prices drop, you will want something else by then.

Remember what you want the computer for. Buy accordingly. Instead of bells and whistles you are not going to use, get something with a bigger hard drive and better screen.

Collapse -
Really!?

In reply to: Extended warranties

That's cool, I've never heard of Visa/Mastercard adding a year on the warranty. Do you know where I can find more information on this?

Collapse -
Lenovo X-61

In reply to: Really!?

Well choosing from your preference list, I will get that Lenovo X-61, they are solid and with long battery time.

Collapse -
i agree

In reply to: Lenovo X-61

x61 one would be my choice although lenovo does have a lot fo choices these days

Collapse -
so

In reply to: Extended warranties

by your logic, laptops, unless you have an accident (in which having an accidental damage plan would be handy) you should'nt ever have to fix your computer because nothing will ever go wrong with it because of all those "solid state" electronic parts.

Lets see; replace hard drive (moving parts unless solid state(very expensive to fix!)), optical drive (moving parts), screen (back light failure not covered by man. warranty because of normal wear and tear issue) battery (not covered by man. warranty like the back light) Power surge issues (again, not covered by man. warranty) Overheating because of that "solid state" fan on board failed. No accidental damage with the standard 1 year warranty. Don't forget the "solid state" keyboard, those keys never fall off! Good thing you used your visa card to buy this thing with all that good coverage!?

Extended warranties are not for everyone but if you invest alot of money in a laptop and/or you want service where you bought it from they are something to consider. I used to work retail computers (best buy /circuit city) and yes, we used to get commisions when we sold them but most do not (sigh!) anymore. I have replaced broken computers with new ones because of the extended warranties. Sometimes it takes awhile but when you see what it costs to fix these things they can be a benefit. As a matter of fact, most extended warranties (if you don't use it or use very little of it) can be refunded to you on a pro rata basis. Read the fine print, ask questions! Be an EDUCATED buyer!

Collapse -
Warranties

In reply to: so

I agree, read the fine print and watch where you buy what you buy. SOME of the warranties (replacement) ARE worth the paper they are written on, again it is what where and how.

Collapse -
In reply to codaman12

In reply to: so

Hey mr. sarcastic, learn how to read.

If you read my fourth paragraph (you know, that part of a written document where there is a blank line between them because they form another thought or point) you will sae that I am referring to items (cpu, ic's, sound chips, on and on and on) that push electrons.

I didn't know hard drives and fans pushed electrons. Gee, how foolish of me.

I thought hard drives were magnetized discs that allowed for changing electrical charge and are divided in sectors. I also thought that fans just moved hot air.

I guess they move you as the way you address things are nothing but hot air.

And if you used to work for an outfit that fired its employees and hired them back at minimum wage, I guess you really know a lot. I believe they did that because their sales were in the basement because their employees didn't how to answer the customers' need.

By the way, is the 12 in your moniker your age?

Collapse -
I can

In reply to: In reply to codaman12

read fine. You have to look at the laptop as a whole, not just things "that push electrons". I can't tell you how many times I've had people come into my store and ask to replace the the things you've listed as "solid state" or was damaged by the failure of something that wasn't.

It wasn't that the sales were bad, I was making too much money and they could'nt afford to keep me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.