Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Yet another 100% CPU complete lockup.

Hi; I have a Dell Insspiron 1000 w/ 448mb Ram, 2.19GHZ Celeron Processer Windows XP w/sp2 & AVG. I had to fix a few problems originally; Batt.,DC jack, wireless set-up etc.I should say that I am fixing it for an old girlfriend. Before I fixed these big problems, I noticed it locked up when I was on line. So bad I had to pull the plug, because it took 20 minutes to attempt to shut it down.{Ctrl-alt-del].The task manager says ieexe is causing the 100% CPU usage {I think}. Even if I manage to turn off the browser, the CPU usage still pegs 100%.I tried to re-install IE7-n/g. So- I figured a bad virus or a corrupted Windows OS. I saved important data on a flash drive.That's about as fancy as I get. I reinstalled the OS and spent 2 days putting in programs and updates. Then.....it happened again. Before I smash it to bits....anyone have any ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yet another 100% CPU complete lockup.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yet another 100% CPU complete lockup.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That ieexe. Is that iexplore.exe?

In reply to: Yet another 100% CPU complete lockup.

I just googled ieexe and found nothing significant.

Do you mean iexplore.exe? If so, then that is certainly Internet Explorer.

When you reinstalled XP what security measures did you install before going onto the internet, eg firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc?

Collapse -
iexplore.exe?

In reply to: That ieexe. Is that iexplore.exe?

Hi Mark; Thanks for replying. Yes it is iexplore.exe.....It seems to run between 72~106mb when IE is running normally, which is most of the time. This major lock-up only occurs when I'm navagating a page on the net. Everything works flawlessly save for this. I re-installed the OS from the discs she gave me. Can a virus survive a complete re-format? I even deleted the partion before I began. Since the re-install cd came with sp1a, I had to update to a min. of sp2, before AVG would install (from my flashdrive). How could I have the exact same symtom after a re-format? Before I reinstalled the OS, I tried every anti-virus-anti-malware programs there is. It hasn't locked up yet today...but it will. I will record what the processes are doing next time it happens. I fear the CPU or mother board are damaged....from the overheating due to the bad batt. Could something be infected or coruppt in the comp.-other than the OS?

Collapse -
Added info

In reply to: iexplore.exe?

HI; Well it just locked up...only took 7 hrs. this time. Something maybe important; I looked at processes during the lock-up--iexplore.exe is using 135mb mem. usage, but 00% cpu, however java.exe is pegging 99% cpu and 75mb mem usage. Cannot shut this puppy down for nothin. Have to pull the plug. Help!

Collapse -
Why Java?

In reply to: Added info

For a test run, uninstall that. Not everyone needs that.
Bob

Collapse -
Like Bob says, uninstall Java, but also,

In reply to: iexplore.exe?

which web site? You said, "This major lock-up only occurs when I'm navagating a page on the net", and that implies a particular web site.

If so, which one. Or do you mean any web site?

Mark

Collapse -
Which web site.

In reply to: Like Bob says, uninstall Java, but also,

Hi again Mark; I unistalled Java....still happened. It doesn't matter which web site. It seems like large news sites like NY Times and such might trigger it easier, but I dont think it matters. It's random, but always on the web....I"m not surfing any "bad sites". The 99% cpu process is always the iexplorer.exe. except for the time it said java.exe. But that was after I had been to Yahoo for a game of pool. I don't see java.exe when I'm on my comp. playing pool....curious. I'm out of ideas.....what next?

Collapse -
Try another browser.

In reply to: Which web site.

Collapse -
Been there done that...

In reply to: Try another browser.

Hi; tried Firefox 3.5 before I ever posted....same problem.
This is a 3 day old xp re-install....I haven't been on-line..un-protected for more than 20 minutes. This is not a virus or spy-ware or malware issue. But will run the maleware program. It seems to be a hardware problem....

Collapse -
Since it'sa fresh install.

In reply to: Been there done that...

Tell us your install plan. Some install Microsoft's XP from the CD and forget about the 7 or more drivers.

Also, tell me about the machine. In my home is an older machine that with a fresh install has the CPU in Linux and XP showing 30 to 100 per cent load. That machine is now over 5 years old and has some hardware failure. It's going to be gifted away.
Bob

Collapse -
Fresh install

In reply to: Since it'sa fresh install.

Hi Mark; Thanks for all your great advice but my denial stage is over. It's the mother board, simply because nothing but worked and the laptop used to heat up pretty bad according to my friend, due to the shorted batt. And a mother board is x + 300+ $'s....so I gave It back to her as is. Just have to force a shut down when the problems occurs and hope the teeth fairy brings her a new computer......thanks again Geo.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.