Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Yes, I still use 98. And yes, I did search the forum

by drpruner / June 7, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

for my problem. Hope someone can help.

I downloaded Speedupmypc from PC World's site, and got this message when I tried to start the .exe:
"this program cannot be installed on a server edition of windows"

Hey, I'm just a poor, non-power user! How did I get a server version of anything?!

I found some stuff here from the esteemed Proffitt with links to Microsoft KB, but nothing there.

The program is a free trial download, so nothing lost if I can't run it, but it promises to speed things up, which I can always use.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yes, I still use 98. And yes, I did search the forum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yes, I still use 98. And yes, I did search the forum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's look at what makes 98se slow?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 8:19 AM PDT

Here's just my thoughts on this.

1. Motherboard chipset drivers.

Why? The IDE transfer rate can be 10 times slower without.

2. Firewalls.

Why? Windows 98se with just one patch has never been broken into. Read my words carefully here. I wrote "broken into."

3. FONTS.

Why? More = slower.

4. Temp files.

Why? When there are more files in a directory, 98se heads south. I suggest CCLEANER and let it be aggressive.

5. Unused devices.

Why? For example that unused ethernet port has 98se checking in every 10 minutes (long pause...) to get an IP assigned. Modems (evil WinModems) use CPU cycles. Remove "extra" hardware and disable what you don't use in the BIOS such as that parallel or such ports.

Hope this keeps you busy,

Bob

Collapse -
Excellent suggestions.
by drpruner / June 7, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

Especially the ones I thought of myself. Happy
I have a PII at 350 MHz on dialup, so I'm doing well enough without a much bigger outlay. It has an Asus board with upgrade Intel chipset on the one hand, and 100MHz memory chip speed on the other. (512 GB.) I'm scrounging the used PC stores for faster memory.

I thought fonts slowed the system only at startup, which is not a complaint at present.

I'll go back for an unused device massacre soon. Thanks. (I'm using the parallel port for my Zip drive, but I can enable that on the few occasions when I need it.)

No firewall. I'm the daring type. (And virtually every site I visit is Trusted Zone.) In fact, I often turn off Norton AV Autoprotect for more Internet speed.

Collapse -
"parallel port for my Zip drive"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Excellent suggestions.

Ohh, big speed tip. Find the IDE version of this. I got mine for 10 bucks (new!)

The parallel port version can put a machine into slow-mo.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip. And, while I have your attention,
by drpruner / June 8, 2007 2:27 PM PDT
Happy what I was looking for in the first place was something to speed up my surfing by blocking the banner ads and such on virtually every web page. (Including C|NET Forums!) Besides AdAware, what can you recommend (in the same price range!)?
Collapse -
What banners?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 9:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hooeee!! Tracked that thread for sure!
by drpruner / June 13, 2007 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: What banners?

In the meantime I got AdMuncher, which works very well so far.

Collapse -
Thoughts.
by Bob__B / June 7, 2007 9:23 AM PDT

The product does not seem to support w98 which may be the reason for your error.

I use w98.
Give it enough ram.
Run it within it's limits.
Keep it tidy.
Works fine.

What are you trying to fix?

BTW. I looked through the features of this prog....thought it was very nice....but then I said why?....there's nothing you can't do in a manual fashion....and maybe better than the prog can do it.

Collapse -
I didn't investigate the program because
by drpruner / June 7, 2007 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Thoughts.

I trust PC World, and it's hard to get ripped off by a free program. Happy I am guessing that my Norton SystemWorks does most or all of what I might need, but, again, the price was right.
I believe you're right about the 98 compatibility, but I'm still puzzled by the actual error message. Oh, well.

As I told Proffitt, I'm always on the lookout for more and faster memory, but 512KB is the most I've ever had in a system and it seems to do well. My FreeRAM indicator hardly ever goes below 150KB.

Collapse -
(NT) Many thanks to you both.
by drpruner / June 7, 2007 1:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Speeding up surfing
by joebjo / June 18, 2007 10:24 PM PDT

I have on occasion used a program called toonel.net which gives you the option of compressing the data you download to certain percentages and so speed up your surfing........I think it does this by reducing the graphics of the webpages. It thus also reduces the amount you download which can come in handy if you have small download limits. You can find it on the link below.

www.toonel.net/

Collapse -
Thanks very much.
by drpruner / June 19, 2007 6:02 AM PDT

Looks like a public version of the "Accelerated" features offered by dialup ISPs. I have Peoplepc.com, and theirs works very well. I also use Opera, and I believe I don't get acceleration when I shift off Peoplepc's browser, so toonel might help.

My understanding is the same- those byte-heavy graphics are reduced in resolution, but still readable, so you can reload full-res if you need to.

Back atcha, BTW. I found a program called Ad Muncher ($35 after free trial) that can block graphics entirely on most pages of most sites. (https: pages are encrypted, so the program doesn't work there.) An older version was at download.com; a newer one is on the home site. The Australian company also has a useful home site with tweaks. Other options: I just went to brother.com and discovered that Ad Muncher keeps it from loading some pages. That's a trustworthy site, and most of the graphics are small and useful for finding products, so I set Ad Muncher to 'allow everything from this site'.

Bad news. I just checked, and download.com now has only v.4.7. That's an improved version certainly, but it may have the ordinary bugs of a new version, and it's nice to have a choice.

http://www.admuncher.com/download.shtml
[This is v.4.7, which may have problems running with Opera; maybe it's just me.]

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?