Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Yellow triangle in taskbar

by Melati Hitam / January 12, 2006 2:14 PM PST

Windows XP - SP2, NAV2005, Adaware SE, SPybot SD, Spywareblaster (With most of the critical update and latest update)

No changes to the pc, nor the software, and as usual, all the scan using the above utility + online scan, didn't find anything.

Just this morning, every once in a while, I get a yellow triangle with exclamation poin in my taskbar, No information when I hover the mouse over it, and when I click, it just disappeared, so I can not know what it is...

What the warning is all about? and what should I do?

Thank you..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yellow triangle in taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yellow triangle in taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be the Automatic Updates functionality in Windows?
by Donna Buenaventura / January 13, 2006 12:04 AM PST

Do you use AU in Windows? I remember seeing that icon in systray few months ago when AU in Windows had issue in installing what I selected to install.

Collapse -
Yes I use AU/WU.. but...
by Melati Hitam / January 13, 2006 4:08 AM PST

all the updates are installed successfully, a couple days before.

I'm just curious... someone said it might be the MS malware tools doing its job (?)

Thanks you

Collapse -
You will get that Icon...
by Larry38 / January 13, 2006 1:16 AM PST

If you have WU set to notify but don't download or install, It's just alerting you that there is an update waiting. Mine does this also.
Larry

Collapse -
Larry38, I don't think that is the case..
by Melati Hitam / January 13, 2006 4:11 AM PST

I choose to download and install automatically..

If it is.. then I should be able to hover the mouse over it and read the information..

Thanks..

Collapse -
That's strange?
by Larry38 / January 13, 2006 4:53 AM PST

I have mine set just to notify me, and that is the only time I see that icon. Once I install the updates it will go away till the next updates are available. I don't like to Auto Update Windows, as I want to know what is being installed.
Don't know what else it could be.
Maybe someone else has seen this.
Larry

Collapse -
Hi, Melati ! Yes It could Be AU/WU Telling You It....
by tobeach / January 13, 2006 4:05 PM PST

is in midst of downloading followed by a balloon saying Files have finished downloading and are now ready for install.
In Mozilla (& Firefox?) the pop-up manager displays a black exclamation against a yellow explosion type shape, which might look a bit like a triangle at a quick glance, when it is actively blocking pop-ups.
Does Spyware Blaster display something similar?
MS also uses yellow triangle to indicate a warning condition for some driver conflicts and other system inconsistencies (not usually in systray/taskbar) rather in device mgr or event viewer.
My antiquing brain seems to partially recall a symbol like that from either a lesser security program or a con game come on for " need to install this rogue anti-spyware", but I'm darned if I can recall which one. This is probably what you're worrying about.
My feeling was it was one of those that used messenger to invade with rogue adware (fore-runner of the now infamous spyaxe : Warning your computer is infected with.....click here.). Best guesses. Google didn't help much but I always wonder if I know the right queery to enter for search. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Tobeach, its not a yellow Shield icon...
by Melati Hitam / January 13, 2006 4:19 PM PST

it is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle..

Thanks for your information..

and its only came up several times yesterday.. it is gone now, I guess because I turn off my computer.

Thank you again..

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Very Welcome, Melati. Sorry Couldn't Be More Help!
by tobeach / January 14, 2006 1:37 PM PST
Collapse -
Java error
by gmc / January 15, 2006 9:48 PM PST

The java console places this icon on the task bar when there are scripting errors on the page you are viewing.
Nothing you can do about it except contact the webmaster to have them correct their error(s).

Collapse -
WINDOWS LOW ON VIRTUAL MEMORY
by bglover51 / January 16, 2006 4:26 PM PST
In reply to: Java error

I get the yellow triangle every time I do more than one scan. It is a warning that my virtual memory is low.

That yellow triangle can be one of several Windows OS problems. There is a chat bubble that pops up along with the yellow triangle to alert you as to which OS problem is occurring.

The thing is, you can switch off those chat bubble messages so just the triangle itself appears. My bet is you are also having VM running low (if it appears when a lot of windows are open and you are also running scans its 100-1 in favor of virtual memory running low).

I forget exactly where you turn on the chat bubble explanation, but maybe if you run windows help you can find it yourself.

In any event it is most likely a virtual memory is low alert. Nothing to be terribly worried about. (Just reboot to recover your VM after you are done scanning.)

Collapse -
I get the same thing on my XP machine ever since
by Berfert / January 17, 2006 12:02 AM PST

I turned off Automatic Updates. I have mine completely turned off and run it manually. Prior it was set to download and notify. Now I get this yellow triangle with the ! in it but no explanation.

I just assumed it to be a XP thing but now I wonder if there is a bug.

Collapse -
Please see this screenshot
by Donna Buenaventura / January 17, 2006 11:16 PM PST
Collapse -
No, Donna... its not a shield icon but a triangle...
by Melati Hitam / January 18, 2006 5:37 AM PST

It is gone now, I guess the other poster already point out some possibility that might applied to me at that day..

Thank You

Collapse -
Melati, It's A Script Error Message And..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 11:18 AM PST

...the little yellow triangle in the lower left corner of faulty webpages. Double clicking on the yellow triangle will bring up a Script error message in the middle of the desktop. Clicking on the "Details" button of that error window will show you the specific script error that is on the webpage...

As mentioned by "Gmc" in an earlier post, it's a fault in the website and there's nothing you can do to fix the website error..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
GT, I think I found out what it is...
by Melati Hitam / January 18, 2006 2:51 PM PST

it happened while I'm openning PDF link from google, which bring up a pdf window, while 'maybe' there is a java running on that page.

Anyway, the Icon is on the taskbar (on my right facing the monitor or left bottom corner of the monitor) ... and it say nothing when I mouse over it, and it disappeared when I click.

After I clear the cache etc. and shutdown the pc, it doesn't appear anymore.

Thank You for all the information... (I guess you may lock this thread)

Collapse -
Melati, Sorry to bring this up again but
by Berfert / February 14, 2006 2:04 AM PST

After turning "Auto-Updates" back on I'm still getting this icon. After working with my work laptop while on battery I noticed the same ICON show up in the system tray when it was low on battery power.

I'm wondering if our problem has something to do with power option settings. Look under the UPS tab and see if that is the same ICON you are seeing. I personally don't have a UPS so mine is turned off but it is making me wonder.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The icon, Yes, but mine is not pwr problem.
by Melati Hitam / February 14, 2006 4:13 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!