Desktops forum

Question

yellow light flashing Optiplex 960

yellow light flashing Optiplex 960 Tower PC But after on and off from wall brick i can make it start somehow i dont know how and it run like a charm and after i use it i shut down and again on it it starts again no problem but after some time like next day it again do that problem i recently made some changes i installed graphics card but before installing the card the problem was not that much intense but there was a problem i think this is a power supply issue and i think i is not enough to run graphics Card that is why it wont start the pc but when i start the system there is no problem then im going to be crazy Please help me i don't know what to do and this is my first question i ever asked on internet on any matter you can think how intense the situation is that make me write this question

Specifications :
optiplex 960 Tower
Core 2 quad 2.66 Q8400
4 gb Ram DDR 2 800 MHZ
2 Hard Drives
Nvidia Quadro 2000
1 Cd Rom
Dell Original Power supply 305W MAX
Anxiously Waiting For the solution

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: yellow light flashing Optiplex 960
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: yellow light flashing Optiplex 960
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: yellow light flashing

In reply to: yellow light flashing Optiplex 960

What does the user manual (download it from dell.com if you don't have a printed version, your service tag might be useful to find it) say about the meaning of that light flashing yellow?

Collapse -
Answer
manual

Collapse -
Answer
Here's the service manual.

Collapse -
light is 3 and 4

In reply to: Here's the service manual.

the light is 3 and 4 and when i unplug it from power brick and again plug it again try the system misbehave and only orange power button light starts blinking and after many tries the system boots and i use it for many many hours no problem anywhere i play games i do whatever i want to do but when i shut down and again use it i keep do the same problem and the button back on the power supply when i press it while the 3 and 4 lights on front blinking the system starts and when i put my finger away from the button back on the supply the system goes off and again orange light on power button started blinking u think power supply issue
Can some one tell is my 305W power supply is enough for this specifications
And thank you so much for replying
Thnaks
Thanks Everyone

Collapse -
Now you have these lights.

In reply to: light is 3 and 4

And the service manual. What did it tell you this meant?

This is more of a discussion forum where it's like you have a flat tire and someone stops to help. You get to help too.

That aside, I own and soon will be moving out a HP d4999t and on the Watt meter I saw it barely top 200W draw so 305 should be fine if the PSU is good.

Collapse -
I plugged out the power supply

In reply to: Now you have these lights.

now PSU is in my hand i searched on internet about the reset button back on it and in Dell's video i came to know that if you press that button and keep pressing it the Green light should lit and keeps on until you move your hand away from the reset button in that case the PSU is fine . But if you press the button and the green light do not turn on its mean the PSU is out of order . but in my case the light starting misbehaving it turns on and of automatically the i have arranged a video of that you can watch it
Here is the link of my Video : Video of PSU 
Here is my power supply image : http://www.fkapowersupply.com/img/cms/J775R/J775R%202.jpg

I hope that information would be helpful ,

Collapse -
You are the PC tech here.

In reply to: I plugged out the power supply

As you have the manual and the results of the test. A PSU seems to be the right choice.

In a shop the PSU would have been swapped out and the PC re-tested. In a home environment you run into folk that demand the right part be replaced. It's not an unreasonable demand but to get there you would need a PSU tester which can run as much as a new PSU.

So there you have a PSU that seems to fail the test. What more is required? I can't give you the answer "it's the PSU" since you may hold my feet to the fire if I was wrong. You have to make that call. I think you're right.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: You are the PC tech here.

Thank you i can say now thst tge power supply is faulty i was busy in some personal stuff after all that ill get it change at first place .
And now i have to buy 450w power suply because in my gpu spacificatiins it is recomended to have 450w power psu and i used it on 305w may be that was tge reason behind psu failure .
You can check it on game debate quadro 2000 spacificatioms

Tell me if im wrong and i dont need 450blw psu .
Thanks

Collapse -
It's not just about the Watts.

In reply to: Thanks

And here is where we step off the curb into a puddle. What a mess. OK, why did I lead with this?

The PSU Watts is just one parameter of the PSU. Some PSUs use split rails which is fine if you know to check the Amperes of each rail and know your PC in depth. But that's 1 out of 100 or lower. What to do to avoid this?

-> Answer. Shop for a Single Rail PSU model.

As to the Watts, here a 450 or 550 PSU is about the same price. As to the 305, the fact it failed points out that it was running at near or over full load. Just like your car, drive at 100 MPH and it will break down soon compared to driving all year at 65.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: It's not just about the Watts.

I understood but i am confused in something
Can you tell me what to read on the psu steaker i know now i have to buy 450 or 430 and even 400w psu but (rails)?
Where to check them and what nunber is required on my power supply many things written tell me what to read and buy psu
Im very non techinalical in that matter .

Collapse -
Look on side of PSU

In reply to: Thanks

If you see two ratings for 12V and it also has the Amps for each rail, that's a split or dual rail PSU. A single rail would have only one and preferably in today's world would be over 40 amps too.

Collapse -
New power supply

In reply to: Look on side of PSU

I have bought a 2nd hand power supply from market for just 3$ with exchange with the old one this one has one six pin connector for graphic cards but mine do not need this connection may be in future ill upgrade my vga and this psu is 375w im back in business pc is working like a charm thank you sir for you help this would not be possible without your corpration.

Collapse -
Thanks R proffit.

In reply to: It's not just about the Watts.

Thanks your for your help Sir .

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.