HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Yamaha YSP-4000 Digital Sound Projector

by dps5889 / August 25, 2011 5:30 AM PDT

My ysp-4000 has suddenly interpeted my cable hdmi connection as dvi. The prior 18 months it identified the connection as hdmi. I have swapped cable boxes and hdmi cables, no fix. This misinterpetation I believe has caused a loss of sound for the cable connection. I have had cable service examined, Time Warner Cable, their feed is good. I have two ysp-4000's. I swapped them out and the problem is related to the specific ysp-4000. I have checked and double checked the settings on both ysp-4000's. Settings are the same. Both ysp's have no problem with their PS3 connections. What could be causing this sudden problem. These sound bars fit my needs perfectly. Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yamaha YSP-4000 Digital Sound Projector
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yamaha YSP-4000 Digital Sound Projector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bummer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2011 5:36 AM PDT

Cable companies push out firmware updates and bizarre things like this happen. It sounds like one unit is working so the best thing to do is to use that one with this cable box.

I don't expect things to get better in the industry because of all the copy protection built into HDMI (HDCP).
Bob

Collapse -
Yamaha YSP-4000 Digital Sound Projector
by 3coursedinner / August 25, 2011 9:55 AM PDT

Just going to shoot some arrows here.
I don't know if it makes a difference if the cable (box or just coax?) is plugged into the DVD input by mistake.
From what I could see (Yamaha doesn't allow you to view the user manual unless you're registered) there isn't any DVI port on this thing. You use HDMI also for the PS3?
If the other 4000 works fine -- the 4000 has some kind of internal problem. I was going to suggest replacing the cable box if you have one -- the sensitvity of the problem 4000 could be an issue with this box. Cable signal strength is one thing.
Does the user manual mention anything about DVI.

Collapse -
Yamaha YSP 4000
by dps5889 / August 25, 2011 11:14 PM PDT

I did check my connection everything is correct. I do use HDMI for my PS3. My first attempt to correct the problem was to replace the cable box which I did. When the problem persisted I contacted the cable company to have the line checked, it's working fine. I agree it's an internal problem with the unit. I have the exact same set up in another room. When I switched the units the problem followed to the other room. I have a tech question into Yamaha but have not received a reply (sent 8/25). Yesterday while working through solutions I got the following message from the cable box when I switched between DVD and Aux 1; Your TV does not allow display of this program through the DVI input source. Please choose another TV input source. Not really sure what this means. I have tried all 4 HDMI inputs on my TV with no resolution.
The user manual makes no mention of DVI.

Collapse -
YSP 4000
by 3coursedinner / August 26, 2011 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Yamaha YSP 4000

the handshaking is giving the impression to the cable box that the input is DVI, not hdmi. If I'm reading the last couple of sentences in your post -- have to believe it's the soundbar. It's odd since there aren't any DVI ports on the soundbar but perhaps there is an earlier model of this unit or Yamaha used the core of an older model with DVI when building the 4000.

Collapse -
YSP 4000
by dps5889 / August 26, 2011 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: YSP 4000

Ok, today i disconnected everything from the 4000 and ran my cable hdmi and PS3 hdmi straight to my tv. I still got the attention notice from my cable box reading "Your TV does not allow display of this program through the DVI input source. Please choose another TV input source." Makes no sense to me. It's as the cable box is trying to send a dvi signal out. All settings for cable box output is set to hdmi.

I'm on hold with the cable company seeking an explanation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.