TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Yamaha RX-N600 and Microsoft Media Player 11.0

by tlh523 / March 11, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-N600 with the plans to intergrate with my Media Player 11.0 Media Library and take advantage of a much higer sampling rate that is provdied my by existing digitial audio connection....However, I am having issues with gettign the receiver to list and play my library. Here are the details.

When I select the selections, playlists etc from MP 11.0 it plays fine on the AV Receiver. However when I use the "PC" feature of the RX-N600 it displays the laptop name, but does not list any of tracks, playlists etc. However, if I select the "Internet Radio" option it works fine, lists the availabe sites and streams the selections without issue. So it appears my network connnection is fine.

Laptop details..Laptop Microsoft XP running the most current updates. Configured on a workgroup with no connections to any network domains. Presario 1500 256 Meg Ram, 1.5 Ghz processor with 30 Gb of disk. The media player works fine with the RX-N600 through my digitital audio USB external sound card. Media player list the AV receiver as an unknow media player device and list the MAC address of the device.

NX-N600 details. Configured for DHCP and the network status indicates no errors. I can access the internet radio feature without issue, but when I select the PC feautre the PC name and user account is listed by none of the media library items are listed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yamaha RX-N600 and Microsoft Media Player 11.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yamaha RX-N600 and Microsoft Media Player 11.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yamaha Firmware upgrade for MP 11.0
by tlh523 / March 13, 2007 11:29 AM PDT

I understand there is a firmware update for the RX-N600, but Yamaha support is very slow in gettign it to me. Does anyone have it posted so I can download and get this issue resolved?

Collapse -
I have the Firmware upggrade for MP 11.0
by JWMullins / March 17, 2007 1:23 AM PDT

Send me your email and I will send you the upgrade. Once you get this set-up this is a very sweet receiver. My Email Justin.W.Mullins@gmai.com

Collapse -
yamaha rx-n600 justin.w.mullin
by pierone_mattacchione / March 31, 2007 8:46 PM PDT

dear justin

I recently purchased a yamaha RX-N600 also and also I am having issues with getting the recever to list and play my library.
Can you send my the firmware upgrade for MP 11?

many thanks

Piero Tramontano

Collapse -
Thanks
by tlh523 / March 18, 2007 1:08 AM PDT

They finally emailed it to me, so I am all set....Nice setup to use the A/V as a media player, once you clean up the DRM tags. However selecting CD titles is rather slow. It would be nice if they added an alpha search list to easily get to selections. Looks like I will need to start setting up some additional playlists or play the Media Library through my sound card connection to the AV.

Collapse -
Im in nee dof this patch file too!
by eurokc98 / March 22, 2007 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I tried emailing Justin but it got bounced back to me. If anyone has this file please send it my way and ill post it to my blog for all.
email is eurokc98 at yahoo dot com
Anyone know why Yamaha doesn't add this to the product page?

Collapse -
Solution to Network Problems with RX-N600
by redram007 / August 8, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

I got the update and it worked fine. Here's who to contact:

Chuck Hill
Supervisor - Customer Service Department
Yamaha Electronics Corporation, USA
E-mail: chill@yamaha.com
Bus: (714) 522-9086
Fax: (714) 228-3390

Ask for the file:
RX-N600_update-7.6.13.zip
to be emailed to you

Collapse -
yamaha RX-N600 MEDIA PLAYER 11 SERVER SOFTWARE
by yesduhh / November 21, 2007 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

This receiver works well with the net radio function but has limited appeal with the pc/network music streaming unless there are some improvements I don't know about.

I downloaded and installed the firmware and now it works with WMP on my pc, but as the poster tlh523 states, the WMP server does not make it easy to browse by artist or genre on the rx-n600. If you have only 50 different artits, for example, you will have to go through up to 5 pages of names before you can select your choice. They are in alphabetical order but you cannot select E right off (for example) to find Elvis. Now, I have some 200 different artists at least, so I have to go through the first 100, or about 20 pages, before getting to ones in the middle. This is stupid and slow. Is there a way to get it to display an A-Z index first?

Does this reciever work with any other media server software running on the pc?

Collapse -
yamaha RX-N600 MEDIA PLAYER 11 SERVER SOFTWARE
by yesduhh / November 22, 2007 9:26 AM PST

Now, I installed twonkymedia server to use instead of windows media player 11 as the server, and the rx-n600 recognized it, but the results are exactly the same as in wmp, that is, that the music is organized by the same 5 catagories, and no easy way to get through the list of 500 artists. Even if you configure twonkymedia server to show the files in abc indexes to make it easiy, the yamaha only shows the same full artist list. I wonder how Yamaha engineers could have been so stupid to design something that is so useless? I mean, anybody with network music is going to have hundreds of files, and you can only view them 5 at a time.

Collapse -
Yamaha RX-N600 Firmware
by netorius77 / March 27, 2007 3:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Help!
by johnkaracalidis / July 28, 2007 1:15 PM PDT

I recently bought this receiver and have not been able to get it to work with media player 11 and vista. I have updated the firmware. can someone help me with the steps to get this receiver to work.

What I have done so far is hook up the receiver and enabled sharing through media player 11. The receiver is not being recognized anywhere on my network.

Collapse -
semi silly question
by firebretha / August 5, 2007 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Help!

I dont have mine running video to the TV. Do I need to to see the options for running usb/net?

I am still setting up all the wiring so I felt like asking in advance because then I will run a vid connection if neccesary.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Can not stream to RX-N600
by digmat / December 16, 2007 10:47 PM PST

I noticed you said you could play files through WMP11. I can not seem to do that. I can play songs, albums, playlists, etc... from the RX-N600, but I can not make the RX-N600 play what WMP11 is playing. Can you shed some light?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.