TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Yamaha Receivers

by LyleMata / May 24, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

Looking for some fairly quick information on opinions on my deciding between a Yamaha HTR 5890 or a RX-V659.
XM Radio and IPOD are not really needed so I am not considering them in the equation.
I hope some reviewers can help in this decision-making.

Thanks,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yamaha Receivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yamaha Receivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well be more specific
by inni121 / May 24, 2006 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yamaha Receivers

between the two u are showing i would go for the cheaper one, because they are identically the same, the name difference and the front face is different between them only due to different marketing schemes and different store chains

right now, www.futureshop.ca has the 5890 for 699 (300 dollar discount)

but its an older model, 5990 is already out thats why the older one is on sale, 5990 is like 1299 right now , WOW, for basically the same unit,

i had the 5830 returned it, wasnt happy with its power, exagerated ratings and got the pioneer vsx-1015tx instead using JBL E90 2.1 setup with a dual 12 inch quest type q sub

Collapse -
MindMelt....A Question For You
by RoadRunner6 / May 25, 2006 6:59 PM PDT
In reply to: well be more specific

You mentioned in your post that you are running your JBL's with a ''dual 12'' quest type q sub.'' I presume that is an unpowered sub enclosure designed for cars. Is that correct? Can you give more specifics? What impedence load is that sub providing to the Pioneer receiver?

How specifically do you have it hooked up to your Pioneer receiver?

Thanks,

RR6

Collapse -
I AM NOTHING BUT NEUTRAL ON THIS QUESTION..........
by Riverledge / May 24, 2006 9:24 AM PDT

BUT I'D BUY the receiver that has the features and specs you want; quickly, I'd say do some more pricing, and buy a model that you have no second thoughts about.

Good shopping,

river.

Collapse -
RX-V
by kena10 / May 25, 2006 3:44 PM PDT

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe the RX-V series has more features than the HTR series.

Collapse -
They Are Pretty Much The Same Sold Thru.....
by RoadRunner6 / May 25, 2006 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: RX-V
Collapse -
Receivers
by LyleMata / May 26, 2006 12:29 AM PDT

I know the HTR 5890 has a few more input/outputs but only has two component inputs. The TX-v659 has three component inputs but a little less wattage. Would you go with the additional component inputs?
Also what are some good $400-$500 subs?

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.