Speakeasy forum

Yahoo! Music rips-off thousands of people

by wjohn1 / December 4, 2011 4:13 AM PST

Record industry watchdog RIAA Sat back and did nothing when music download titan Yahoo! Ripped off thousands of users who legitimately and legally purchased music via the Musicmatch Juke box portal. Yahoo, purchased Musicmatch for $160 million cash in 2004. http://docs.yahoo.com/docs/pr/release1181.html All of this purchased music was encoded with the DRM Digital Rights Management system suggested by RIAA to help prevent piracy. So all of the purchases had to be authorized by a Musicmatch server to be able to be played this worked out just fine until YAHOO purchased them and turned off the servers. So even though you might have a copy of the music it is copy and play protected so you can't listen to it. Yahoo was apparently aware of this issue because the Musicmatch authorization server was redirected to a yahoo server! Even today when I try to play the music, the DRM goes to the encoded license Acquisition server though the server is listed as www.musicmatch.com the DNS is redirected to a Yahoo server I feel I have been defrauded. How is this legal?? According to EFF Electronic Frontier Foundation article dated July1 2006 by Root Jonez "How To Not Get Sued for File Sharing" https://www.eff.org/wp/how-not-get-sued-file-sharing", I states As of July 2006, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has sued over 20,000 music fans for file sharing in just under three years. In 2004, the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) joined this misguided, anti-consumer crusade. Filing lawsuits against anonymous "Doe" defendants, the RIAA and MPAA seek to uncover the identities of P2P users and force them to pay thousands of dollars in settlements. Many innocent individuals are being caught in the crossfire". So Why won't RIAA go after Yahoo for reverse piracy???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo! Music rips-off thousands of people
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo! Music rips-off thousands of people
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The notice was sent out long ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 4:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Still issues
by wjohn1 / December 5, 2011 7:23 AM PST

You Still need the license 's to be able to copy to an Audio CD, The root HDD of my music PC died (crashed) thisYear forcing me to Rebuild my Windows And reinstall the MMJB, fortunatly I had made back-ups of my music files but I had no backup of my old C drive hence the old DRM directory is gone and I must Re-Aquire the licenses to copy or even strip the DRM.

Collapse -
Yes. And four years should have been plenty of time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: Still issues

Sorry to read about your loss.

Collapse -
Sorry to have upset you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 10:18 AM PST

And I travel too on my job. Again, sorry to read about your loss.

Collapse -
Thanks for the concern
by wjohn1 / December 6, 2011 12:01 AM PST

Yes!! all was good for a long while but being the perverbal road warrior The little bit of time I am home I do not spend hunched over the PC I do my best to reclaim my life and relationship I did not realize until I had been forced down with a Stroke that my PC had to be rebuilt and I could no longer listen to some of my music when I did manage to rebuild and relaod it. I have since filed with the FTC ... BBB, and Rip-off report. I have also gotten an education on DRM

Collapse -
too get in on a Class Action to try to restore your music
by wjohn1 / December 17, 2011 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the concern
Collapse -
I seem to be getting some attention on this Issue
by wjohn1 / December 24, 2011 4:32 PM PST

If you were, or are still being affected by this issue as I am, Please contact the California States Attorney office and file a complaint. I used this link http://oag.ca.gov/contact ... Because all of the purchases were to the credit card on file I believe I used the consumer fraud link http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general.php

You Should try to contact a Kimberly Christophersen Public Inquiry Unit... And add your damage and experience with Yahoo! inc. They are,!! more inclined to squeak the wheel for a CA resident..... PO box944255, Sacramento, Ca.94244-2550 800-952-5225 (916)322-3360 Re. Yahoo Inc PIU 448218 dated Dec 19,2011

R. Proffitts accertion that you were only leasing.... is incorrect, excuse me ,might be correct, but the product was always presented as a sale,just like buying a CD, no mention was made of strings attached or any other caviot to the sale

Collapse -
Did not assert.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2011 1:28 AM PST

If you are going down a legal path I suggest you try a little harder to not assert what others assert.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?