HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

yahoo mesenger video chat

by biruot / July 22, 2005 10:43 AM PDT

Hello,
I'm wondering If ther's any way to disable video chat feature from yahoo mesenger{just the video chat feature} . Without removing the whole program.
And I heared that the port 5100 Is related to video chating.I'd like to know if ther is a way to close this port.
OS widows Me
Ram 128 Mb
yaho mesenger 7.0
Any help will be greatly appreciaterd .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: yahoo mesenger video chat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: yahoo mesenger video chat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disable Yahoo! Webcams....
by John.Wilkinson / July 23, 2005 12:34 PM PDT

You can ''disable'' Yahoo! IM webcam by going messenger->preferences->webcam (Tab) and selecting ''Always allow the following people to view my webcam'' and simply not add any usernames, then click ''Ignore other view requests.'' These preferences will also block the usage of SuperWebcam. This is the easiest way to prevent others from viewing your webcam (in a Yahoo! IM, chatroom, etc), and should suit your needs.

If you would like to go one step further in protecting your privacy, I verified that Yahoo! Webcam uses Port 5100. Thus, all you need to do to permenantly block access to your Webcam (from those using Yahoo!) is configure your firewall to block that port. If you're not sure how to do this, just let us know what firewall you currently use and we'll give you step-by-step instructions.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. If you don't currently have a firewall, I'd suggest getting one now (such as ZoneLabs' free ZoneAlarm Basic) not only to block the port, but also to protect your computer from hackers/viruses.

Collapse -
Disable Yahoo webcams......
by biruot / July 24, 2005 1:48 AM PDT

Hi John,
Thank you for a quick answer.
I'm trying to do what you referd me to do,But I'm not sure how to configure the firewall zonalarm to block port 5100.I'm concerned about disabling my computer to be used for vedio chating( broadcasting and receiving from webcams).
King regards.

Collapse -
Configuring your firewall...
by John.Wilkinson / July 24, 2005 3:35 AM PDT
The good news: You can configure ZoneAlarm to block access to certain ports by following these directions. Blocking port 5100 will only prevent Yahoo! from accessing your webcam, not any other services/sites/programs...each port is usually program-specific. In addition, you should be able to allow/block the port for incoming and outgoing communication individually, meaning you can prevent others on Yahoo from accessing your webcam (outgoing), but can still view the webcams of others (incoming).

The bad news: The ability to allow/block specific ports in ZoneAlarm is restricted to those who have purchased ''premium'' versions of their software. Thus, if you have the free Basic version, or even the Pro. version, you're out of luck. At this point, your only options would be to use the method I described using Yahoo's preferences or pay for the added features in ZoneAlarm.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. If you ever want to use Yahoo's webcam service, you can always remove port 5100 from your firewall's block list and/or edit the Yahoo! IM preferences so that you are prompted (as opposed to the request being automatically denied) should someone want to access your webcam.
Collapse -
Disable Yahoo webcams......
by biruot / July 24, 2005 4:20 AM PDT

Hi John.....
I Just want to make sure If I use the method that you explained regarding yahoo prefernces,this will only block others to see my webcam,I mean it won't block the user of my computer to see others webcams(what i'm more consened about).
I do appreciate your explanation,
My best regards.

Biruot

Collapse -
Exactly...
by John.Wilkinson / July 24, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

This method will prevent others from viewing your webcam, but you'll still be able to see everyone else's. And, with a quick adjustment of the settings, I present to everyone the invisible user! Wait...where'd he/she go?? Wink

John

Collapse -
Incoming webcam
by biruot / July 24, 2005 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Exactly...

I apologize for throwing too much on you today.
The methods you mentioned was great. But I'm still confusing about how to prevent incom webcams
(not outgoing), If thers any other options to achieve that except Zonealarm premium .:)

Thanks alot for your responses.

Biruot

Collapse -
Ah...
by John.Wilkinson / July 25, 2005 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Incoming webcam

Apparently I misunderstood your original request...I had it turned around and thought you wanted to block outgoing, and allow incoming. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, there is no free option (that I know of) to permenantly block incoming webcam feed and still allow outgoing feed while on the Yahoo! network.
* Yahoo preferences only let you prevent others from viewing your webcam...not block another's webcam.
* Free utilities such as Emsa Port Blocker block all communication on a port...both incoming and outgoing.
* Basic firewalls don't provide advanced settings required to customize the blocking of ports.

Thus, you're left with two options:
* Simply don't accept invitations to view a webcam, or select the option so see/request to see someone else's. (Although this isn't an option if you're trying to prevent another user from viewing webcams.)
* Pay for a ''premium'' firewall which will let you block port communication on an incoming/outgoing basis. (And a password will prevent your settings/preferences from being changed by anyone.)

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. There's no need to appologize...I'm here because it's something I enjoy. However, if you tell me the meaning of your username, you can call it even. Wink

Collapse -
Thanks John............
by biruot / July 25, 2005 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Ah...

Nowthat I know exactly my options.
I do really apreciate your help and your detail explanations.
Regarding my username it's the name of the capital of Lebanon.
By the way it's the most beautiful city in the middle east .

Collapse -
Preference and Tools
by batonrougeenglish / July 23, 2005 12:59 PM PDT

Hi,

You may want to open each program and click the Tools or Preferences to practice and learn.

Many applications have those two features for you to configure each as you wish.

It may help you before you have a problem to read the available features in Preferences and Tools.

Then you will be a sharp PC tech.

Sir in New Orleans
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.