Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Yahoo mail advertisements

by janet58atlanta / May 24, 2014 12:58 AM PDT

I am running Windows 8 and use Yahoo mail. Is there anyway to completely stop all those advertisements from reaching my email address without having to pay for software? I am using Avast, SpyHunter, CCleanner to protect my computer and routinely backing up my hard drive. I see Yahoo Mail offers something to block all their ads, but what a shock, I would have to pay them for a subscription. Any help would be greatly appreciated?
Janet

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Look at your Settings options
by wpgwpg / May 24, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

With a free Yahoo email account, you have the options of setting up filters and blocking domains. Just click the gear in the upper right corner, then Settings. There you'll see Filters and Blocked Addresses which you can set up to your preference.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 24, 2014 2:26 AM PDT

Thanks for your response. I will give the filters a try and see if that helps.

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2014 1:25 AM PDT

If you use the Web mail there items you can not hide. Be aware this is not a new question but folk want to ask over and over. The answers are the same as before.
Bob

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 24, 2014 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

I know this has been something talked about before and I apologize if I shouldn't have posted it this way. I was hoping to see if something recent has been found out to solve this problem. I always see such great advice here and look for solutions here. It is still a new issue for me to deal with. Maybe the best solution is just to do like was mentioned by another member and switch my email account.

Collapse -
Sorry for being blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2014 2:30 AM PDT

Yahoo is working hard to nail these items into the WEB EMAIL pages. If you can use an email client (Thunderbird is one of many) then you don't see the nailed down items. I don't get them at all.
Bob

Collapse -
Somewhat
by James Denison / May 24, 2014 1:42 AM PDT

I have some yahoo email accounts and after they changed their webmail I moved them all over to Thunderbird, set up for IMAP access. It has excellent junk mail learning in it and most of those just go direct to the Trash now while the other comes to the Inbox. It's a feeling of satisfaction seeing the incoming spam automatically dumped into Trash, usually before I can even get the Inbox open.

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 24, 2014 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Somewhat

Thanks for the idea of switching to Thunderbird.

Collapse -
My two cents
by edwardnav / May 24, 2014 4:29 AM PDT

I installed Windows Live Mail. Set it as my default email client. Imported my Yahoo mail contacts, downloaded and installed the free spam fighter program called Cloudmark Desktop One. I no longer need to go to Yahoo and 'spam' is virtually gone.

Good luck,

Eddie

Collapse -
Or
by Jimmy Greystone / May 24, 2014 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: My two cents

Or, you could just go with Thunderbird which is considerably more full-featured and you don't have to try and get two separate programs to work together for effective spam management.

I've never used it myself so can't comment directly, but based on what I've seen here, Windows Live Mail seems to occupy a space where it's lacking features that most people think of as standard. Especially those who remember the flexibility Outlook Express offered, but forget the raging security nightmare that it was. I'm not sure if the goal was to drive people to the web portal with ads or try and convince people to shell out for Outlook or if there was some other plan involved, but there seem to be a not insignificant number of people who come here with issues that basically boil down to they expect more from an email client than Windows Live Mail can deliver.

Collapse -
Two different things
by Jimmy Greystone / May 24, 2014 2:35 AM PDT

Two different things could be interpreted from your post.

1: The various advertisements such as banner ads, placed within the Yahoo Mail web interface, which will be difficult to get rid of and help pay for the service you're otherwise getting for free.

2: Spam coming into your inbox. If there were an easy solution to the spam problem, someone would have thought of it years ago and it wouldn't still be a problem. So the best we have are filter based solutions where we have to compromise between getting rid of spam and dealing with the possibility that important messages might be incorrectly flagged as spam.

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 24, 2014 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Two different things

I was thinking about only the blue bar that comes as sponsored advertisements that I can't move into spam, since clicking on that blue bar only opens the website. Those side ads that show up when I open my email, I know I can close out from view while I am using Yahoo mail. Still is a royal pain. I understand about what you say about using filters if I choose to stay with Yahoo and Yahoo using the ads for income. I do occasionally get spam coming through to my emails, but not often so far. Thanks.

Collapse -
It sounds like your using
by orlbuckeye / May 24, 2014 4:52 AM PDT

a browser to view your yahoo mail. If you use the Metro app there are no ads.

Collapse -
Let's say you want to try hiding the element with AdBlock+
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2014 5:45 AM PDT

"I just removed the Yahoo "ad bar" completely, using the "Element Hiding Helper" add-on for AdblockPlus." is noteworthy at https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17391

BUT!!! We are installing an add on that may not be available to your browser. And it's just too techy for Mom.
Bob

Collapse -
Yahoo email advertisements

My browser is Chrome. Will I be able to use AdblockPlus and the add-on element hiding helper?
Janet

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / May 25, 2014 8:18 AM PDT

No. There's a version of AdBlock Plus for Chrome, but because of differences in the way Chrome and Firefox are developed, the Chrome version is significantly watered down compared to the Firefox version.

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 25, 2014 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No

The problem is actually solved now! Could the reason why AdBlockPlus actually worked removing that ad bar plus all those side banner ads is that I am back to using Yahoo mail basic? All the ads are now gone from my email? Maybe all I needed was that watered down Chrome version after all, Jimmy I am shocked.
Thank you everyone for pointing out options for me to try.
Janet

Collapse -
It may work now
by Jimmy Greystone / May 25, 2014 10:51 AM PDT

It may work now, but sooner or later you'll find it will not be enough. Companies have been getting increasingly aggressive at trying to get around the likes of AdBlock Plus, which just kind of shows how out of touch with its customers most companies are.

I heard a good adage recently, which I gather is by no means new: You are what you measure. If a company only measures how much money it's making, that is what will consume top management to the detriment of everything else. A company that measures the money it makes will forever be looking for ways to increase that number and given Yahoo has been losing money hand over fist for years... Well, let's just say it would be easy for a company in that position to be very focused on squeezing every bit of revenue it can from any of its successful properties.

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 25, 2014 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: It may work now

That is ok. I take one day at a time. If I find the ads are overwhelming me once again, then I know other options to try. Thanks again for your advice.
Janet

Collapse -
what sort of options?
by James Denison / May 26, 2014 1:36 AM PDT
Wink
Collapse -
"may not be available to your browser. And it's just too
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2014 8:34 AM PDT

"may not be available to your browser. And it's just too techy for Mom."

There's a reason I added that.
Bob

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 25, 2014 10:22 AM PDT

OK Bob, so why did you make the comments about things being "too techy for Mom"?
Janet

Collapse -
Because my Mom won't be able to get this done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2014 11:23 AM PDT

And a lot of users explode when you do find a way like this.
Bob

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 25, 2014 11:14 PM PDT

For Jimmy and Bob,
I did find when I restarted my pc, that the ads were back again, but when I used the newer version of yahoo mail, the ads and and ad bar were gone. If I can keep the ads away by only going back to resetting the version of yahoo mail I am using, then that works for me! I hope the rest of the users here will fight the urge to explode. There is already way too much pollution everywhere, including inside our email providers.
Janet

Collapse -
The problem is
by Jimmy Greystone / May 25, 2014 11:41 PM PDT

The problem is, everyone wants things for free, but at the same time everyone wants to be paid for their time and labor.

Not to get all political, but a couple of generations back, corporations (like Yahoo had it existed) paid somewhere around 35% of the total taxes collected by the US government, and the tax rates for the extremely wealthy were up to around 90%. These days the effective tax rate for corporations is more like 10% of all the taxes collected, if that with all the international and domestic shell games companies play to hide money. That 20-30% of tax revenues that companies used to pay went to vital things like roads, the electrical grid, water distribution... Things that benefit the companies as much as regular citizens. The extremely wealthy have also managed to rig the system so that they never pay more than about a 30% effective tax rate, no matter how much they make and of course most of their money is from capital gains (stocks) which is taxed at a significantly lower rate than regular income. So someone who works their tail off every day, actually making the products companies sell, pay more taxes than the people at the top who are paid primarily in stock options. I don't know about you, but that seems like the exact opposite of how it should be. But it seems little wonder that a lot of American companies, like Yahoo are having problems. They want to use the infrastructure paid for by our taxes, but not chip in their share for the privilege and the American people are basically tapped out. So when places like Yahoo start passing the collection plate around for various services, is it any wonder that people balk? They expect us to subsidize their use of public infrastructure and then also pay for the privilege of using products/services they develop on top of that public infrastructure? Are they insane? There's really not even any legally binding fiduciary duty for a company to maximize the profits for shareholders, that's just a nice little fiction created by large stakeholders to justify all the various short-term stock price manipulation schemes. Even if there were such a thing, I would say the long-term sustainability for a company is maximizing the value for the shareholders as opposed to a series of short-term decisions that will have seriously negative long-term impacts.

This is why I have absolutely no problem using things like AdBlock Plus. When companies start paying for some of the public services they depend on, so I don't have to, then we can talk.

Collapse -
by janet58atlanta / May 26, 2014 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: The problem is

I absolutely agree with you!
Janet

Collapse -
I've heard so much about Yahoo web mail
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2014 12:09 AM PDT

But the fixes don't seem to stick unless they move off web mail and onto Thunderbird or such.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!