Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Yahoo: Logging In

I have a Dell Inspiron B120 laptop, Windows XP. I'm using IE 7 and Opera 9.02. I am using McAfee anti-virus and privacy service. I'm using Microsoft's firewall. I use Ad-Aware as well.

I try to log in to Yahoo. I type in my Yahoo ID and my password. I'm taken to a page asking me to verify my password. My Yahoo ID is showing up in the box. I type in my password again. Taken to the same page, asking me to verify the password again. And again and again.

Changed the password but still going through the same thing.

Sometimes when I go to sign in, I'm taken back to the home page instead. I'm not signed in.

I've changed the password at least 5 times and waited 24 hours before trying to sign in again. I've contacted Yahoo three times and the last time, they assigned me another new password, which gave me the same results as before.

I don't understand what's going on. This may be unrelated, but when I downloaded the beta IE, there was one website that wouldn't display buttons on it. When I downloaded IE7, this problem disappeared, but it returned this week, same time as when I couldn't log into Yahoo. Maybe it's just coincidence, maybe not.

Also, hate to lump all the problems in one spot, but what if this is related? When I startup my computer, I get a message from windows installer saying it couldn't install word perfect 12. I click on "cancel" but it keeps coming back about 3-4 times, then finally disappears.

I'm sorry if I left anything out, hope I have given the necessary information. If anyone can help me figure this out, I would greatly appreciate it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo: Logging In
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo: Logging In
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe you should try

In reply to: Yahoo: Logging In

Collapse -
Two things...

In reply to: Yahoo: Logging In

1.) Try accessing you using a different browser, such as Firefox, which has no relation to Internet Explorer. That will tell us if it's just a browser issue or something more wide spread.

2.) For the installer issue, click here to download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I believe it should work on Word Perfect.

Let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
Browsers & Installer

In reply to: Two things...

I've already tried the Yahoo link.

I've tried using both Firefox and Opera and neither one will let me sign in. Today I did try signing in to Yahoo using a different computer and it worked! I just need to figure out what is wrong with my computer now.

Thank you for the link to the installer cleanup utility. I notice it says that if I remove something that it might not work and I'd have to reinstall it. I don't have the disk to reinstall WordPerfect Office 12 (somehow the disks that came with my laptop disappeared). Should I go ahead and give this a try anyway?

Thank you for the help!

Collapse -
SUCCESS!

In reply to: Browsers & Installer

It was Mcafee's privacy service! I had it set to prompt for cookies and this was blocking me from logging into Yahoo for some reason. Now that it's set to accept cookies, I can log in. While I don't like this option, it's either this or give up running my Yahoo group and I'm not going to do that.

Thanks everyone!

Collapse -
forgot something...

In reply to: SUCCESS!

I did use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and unfortunately, it removed WordPerfect. I now have until the 16th to get it back, I have 15 booklets that need to be out by then.

Collapse -
Sorry for the late response...

In reply to: forgot something...

I wish I had gotten back to you earlier, as I could have warned you that WordPerfect would be uninstalled. However, you do have a couple options, the first being to click here to download a free trial of WordPerfect X3 until you can request a set of CDs from Dell. Alternatively, you can switch to the free OpenOffice suite, which was designed to compete with Microsoft Office and WordPerfect Office. Either way you should be up and running in an hour or two.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.