General discussion

Yahoo has taken over my Internet Explorer 8

I hope I'm posting in the right location, if not please direct me to the righ place. I have an HP Pavillion 6810 us entertainment Ed. Notebook, running Windows Vista Prem. Home Ed., Sv Pk 2., hope that's enough info. On one of the Windows updates I installed several months ago for Vista, I received windows side bars, which take up way to much screen space on the RH side of the screen. I let it go because i couldn't find a quick fix to remove it.

two days ago I noticed on my home page something that caught my eye that said I could get full view of the page. I clicked it, and now all I have is YAHOO info, everything else is gone. if I move the pointer to the very top of the page I do have the original tool bars on the computer, but if I move the pointer it goes back up and i can't see it.

How can I remove this Yahoo screen and get back to what I had two days ago. It's drivig me crazy.
thank you,

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Yahoo has taken over my Internet Explorer 8
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Yahoo has taken over my Internet Explorer 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
FIXed it myself

No need for help now. I took a chance and did a system restore to a previous date and my computer apprears to be back to normal, the Internet page is as it was before Yahoo took control.

- Collapse -
for future reference

Many people don't pay close attention when this happens, then wonder why they have a new (unexpected and unwanted) toolbar in place.

Quite often when we download a new (upgraded version) program; during the install process the program will install one of many "special toolbars', to opt out of this option, uncheck (or clear) the box.

*That is, unless you want to have the New and Improved 'Yahoo, Google, CCleaner, etc. toolbar* Wink

- Collapse -
Another ?Brechan

Do you know how to get rid of the sidebar on my screen? I liked the task bar tiles at the bottom of the page. This sidebar stuff appeared after a Vista/Windows update.

thanks,

- Collapse -
yes

go to: Control Panel-Appearance and Personalization- Windows Sidebar Properties

From this window, you have some options, including removing the Sidebar form starting with Windows.

- Collapse -
Sidebar removal

I think I've tried this several times. I right clicked on the sidebar, clicked properties, selected or un checked start sb when windows starts, clicked ok, then clicked on the icon & chose exit to close the sidebar. But it's still there. this time I'm going to go in your way, but i think it's esentially the same thing, but what have I got to loose......hopefully side bar.
thank you very much

- Collapse -
The side bar....

...can be useful.... However, you can always "hide" by unchecking the box where it says "side bar always on top of other winndows" at "Propeties"....

CNET Forums

Forum Info