Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Yahoo Abuse

by Traceyy / February 24, 2005 3:20 PM PST

Am I the only one who has had enough of fools with computers, who use there boot programming to harass and abuse fellow yahoo users. Well I would be interested too know if there are any laws, regulations etc regarding this issue. Have been tracking down Australian regs but sadly there appear to be none. Anyone have any further ideas on this matter. And I refuse too hide or change locations or ID's just to get a bully off my case and as for using the anti boot programs, they attract more boot programs than going without them!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo Abuse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo Abuse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Little trouble here determining what...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2005 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Yahoo Abuse

you are talking about.

Am I the only one who has had enough of fools with computers, who use there boot programming to harass and abuse fellow yahoo users.

What are you attempting to say with that sentence? What are you referring to with the term "boot programming"?

Collapse -
Whew, I thought it was just me
by Josh K / February 25, 2005 4:10 AM PST

I thought maybe it was some geek thing that I didn't know about.

The only guess I can make is that she might need an antivirus, anti-spyware or other such protection and/or needs to change her e-mail address and be more careful about who she gives it to.

Collapse -
i bet its in chat rooms
by Mark5019 / February 25, 2005 4:34 AM PST

theres programs that you can boot people out of?

Collapse -
Ed (and Traceyy)....
by Dick White / February 25, 2005 4:29 AM PST

First off, Traceyy - welcome to SE. This forum is where we get away from techical problems and instead rant about general political/religious/cultural arguments. But let's see what we have here for you.

Looking at previous posts in other forums, the description of symptoms (in Aussie colloquial), and sensing the underlying frustration and despair (a universally human trait) - it looks like a system completely buggered by viri, spyware, and trojans.

Ed, you're a technically sophisticated computer user and you know how difficult and time consuming it is to rid an infected system of these beasties. Traceyy is a newbie, understandably overwhelmed, and appropriately outraged.

So, where shall we start? Tracey, do you want to take this on? For sure, your head will be spinning for days on end as you learn how to unwind your system from the traps, and for sure, you will learn some things you'll be glad to know as well as things you'll wish you never found out exactly what they were doing to you.

But to answer the question posed in the first post, no, there are no laws against this - yet. That's an unfortunate aspect of a civilized society based on the rule of law... The creeps out there will always find new ways to insult and assault you until new laws are composed to put an end to it, but by then they will be on to yet newer dirty tricks. Technology only makes it worse.

dw

Collapse -
No laws perhaps, but TOS I bet
by Roger NC / February 25, 2005 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Ed (and Traceyy)....

Every site, service, portal etc I've heard of will end accounts for such behavior as booting people out of rooms by anyone except those appointed to maintain the rooms/boards.

I'm not sure from the post myself if the booting out of chat rooms etc is what the poster is referencing. And whether or not contacting Yahoo web administrators would do any good or not. With their size, it might do little.

That's just my impression.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and good luck in getting yahoo to reply
by Mark5019 / February 25, 2005 6:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Hello ****...
by Edward ODaniel / February 26, 2005 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Ed (and Traceyy)....

You are right that obviously she is distraught BUT without some clarity or at least an attempt to specify exactly what her troubles are no useful assistance can be provided. Attempted assistance based on eroneous ideas of what the actual complaint/problem is can even add to a user's consternation.

Although I have the impression that she might be discussing chat rooms or even possibly yahoo messenger her descriptive but confusing "boot programming" leaves one wondering--perchance she is disgruntled by a system administrator's logon scripts.

Collapse -
my initial thought
by Dick White / February 26, 2005 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Hello Dick...

was reference to boot loaders was about boot sector viruses or the assorted spyware/trojan highjackers that run at bootup... or maybe her frustrations were so bad she just needed a place to scream out loud. She hasn't been back yet, so let's wait and see...

dw

Collapse -
once upon a time I was in a chat room
by Dragon / February 26, 2005 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: my initial thought

If some mental-stunted idiot ever got mad at you, he could "bomb" you. I would have to get completely off the internet (the hard way) and log back in. This 'bomb' I think was some kind of data dumping program that overwhelmed my puter.

Collapse -
How did golfing enter...
by Edward ODaniel / February 27, 2005 1:26 AM PST

this thread? (and by the way, there are two ts in putter ("overwhelmed my puter").

I hit my foot with a three iron and it megahurtz!

Collapse -
Guess I was sleeppy
by Dragon / February 27, 2005 12:10 PM PST

Had sand traps in my eyes...

Collapse -
He's referring to a practice...
by C1ay / February 27, 2005 1:39 AM PST

By some users in the Yahoo gaming area where they use their technical ability to boot others out of a game and take their accumulated points. Those accumulated points allow you to play higher levels in the gaming area not open to newbies. There's quite a hacker crowd over there that's pretty good at taking other people's usernames and points. There's not any laws against it though. Basically Yahoo's gaming area is riddled with security holes that enable this. They're the only one's that could do anything about it.

Collapse -
Yeah -- Some places Ive been in, you could
by Dragon / February 27, 2005 12:13 PM PST

substitute a 0 for a O (or vice versa), or a 1 for an l, and so forth. No one could tell the difference, including the program -- otherwise it woudnt allow you to pose as someone else.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?