General discussion

Xvid codec won't show up in Device Manager list

Hi

I downloaded Xvid codec and successfully installed it, but for some reason it won't show up in my device manager property list. Anyone have any suggestions?

windows xp home
32-bit
SP3

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Xvid codec won't show up in Device Manager list
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Xvid codec won't show up in Device Manager list
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try asking the author.

I've used such codecs and for them to work they don't need to show up in the device manager. But if you want it there then you would ask the author to change it so it does.
Bob

- Collapse -
Here's a tool to list and remove codecs. Link only.
- Collapse -
I never know where they go either.

I figure if my program worked then it means I have installed the correct one properly. I never looked but I didn't know it would be list in device manager.

- Collapse -
CODEC

It wouldn't show up in device manager, that is hardware. It would appear in downloads/downloaded program files.

- Collapse -
I was told...

It should show up in my "video codecs" property list.

right click my computer > hardware > device manager > sound, video and game controllers > video codecs

The other video codec I just installed "Morgan MJPEG codec", showed up there, xvid doesn't. Doesn't wanna show up. I was told they both should show up. "Morgan" did.

I'm trying to install these codecs so I can make .AVI files work in Sony Vegas 7.

- Collapse -
Which one did you use?

CNET Forums

Forum Info