Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

xpsp2 delays connecting to internet

by dizzypop1 / March 16, 2005 3:52 AM PST

xpsp2 has a 30 second delay between opening a browser and connecting to any home page. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: xpsp2 delays connecting to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: xpsp2 delays connecting to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forum Tip
by Yew / March 16, 2005 4:11 AM PST

And I quote:

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

We're going to need more details IOW. Just list anything and everything, we'll sort out what's useful and what isn't.

Collapse -
more information
by dizzypop1 / March 16, 2005 4:20 AM PST

The computer is a gateway desktop 310x, 248 ram, plenty of hard drive, Pentium 4 running xpsp2. I've run spybot, adaware and cleaned it up. Uninstalled Nortons internet sec and antivirus. Run regclean and looked at hijack. Everything runs well except for the initial connect to the internet. Always takes 30 seconds to respond. I've tried two separate browsers, reloaded xp and fiddeled with the settings to no effect. Any suggestions? Any other info needed?

Collapse -
How do you connect to the internet?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 16, 2005 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: more information

Do you use a dial-up ISP or Cable?

If it is dial-up, then the delay is probably because the modem is dialing out to your ISP and waiting for the proper responses.

Mark

Collapse -
xpsp2 delay on connecting to internet
by dizzypop1 / March 18, 2005 12:20 AM PST

I use a cable modem. I've tried both the network card and a Linksys wireless hookup, they both have the same delay. Thanks,

Collapse -
What happens
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 12:29 AM PST

when you open the browser? Does it try to connect to your home page immediately, and this takes 30 seconds, or does something else happen?

If you are using Internet Explorer, have you tried a different browser, like FireFox? If so, do you get the same delay?

Do you use a regular homepage like Google, or your ISP's homepage? If so, try changing your homepage to something else, close the browser down and re-open it, see if you get the same delay.

Mark

Collapse -
re: xpsp2 delays connecting to internet
by justinpleasant15 / March 17, 2005 1:47 AM PST

my computer has about 6 second delay. it might just be the amount of free ram

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!