Laptops forum

General discussion

XPS M1710 replacement

by fbbbb / August 4, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

In terms of performance, I'm quite happy with the Dell XPS M1710, of which I have two as "true luggable desktops". In terms of the durability, I'm satisfied too - they haven't been shown complete respect and they work just fine. In terms of support, I'm very satisfied.

The problem, and one that's been increasingly gnawing at me, is the style. The XPS is fugly with a capital F U G L Y. If I could put that in 72-point bold, I would. I thought the just-superceded Inspirons looked terrible, and the M1710 is basically an Inspiron 9400 with a bodykit. And the lights... Dear God, the lights. Fortunately you can turn them off.

Now considering I use this as a mobile desktop, and I take it to meetings and use it in public, it does occasionally get some funny looks. And I feel that for someone as inherently devastatingly debonair as my modest self, I should not be standing for this cramping of my considerable style.

So, dear forum members, I turn to you. I'm prepared to spend a fairly hefty sum - say up to $8Kish each - for two replacements for the XPS M1710. It should be a Santa Rosa machine, with at least a 2.4Ghz C2D on offer with higher as a desirable, it should have a 1920 17" monitor, and it should be equipped with at least a 7950GTX or 8700GT. Onboard camera is not necessary but is desirable. SLI not necessary. Dual HDD's not necessary, but at least a 200Gb drive should be a factory option. Apart from that it should generally conform to a high-end laptop spec.

Max weight: 5Kg ish. Typical 'not doing much / max power saving' battery life should be around the three-hour mark from whatever batteries it ships with.

In terms of performance, solidity and build quality, I'm not willing to go backwards from the Dell purely for style - so no mention of Macbook Pros please for a start. I have been through a few of them and my opinions of them are mostly in terms of words which would be filtered here. The manufacturer must offer 3-year support with international onsite support if possible, if not then international courier pickup.

I'll re-stress that the *most* important thing aside from meeting the general above spec is that it should not be hit by the ugly stick... or better still, it should wow regular people. So that bumps Alienware off the list for example.

I feel that with the budget I've set out, I don't need to settle for business-bland but I can probably get something that stands out but in a fairly tasteful way. But exactly what that would be, I'm having trouble figuring out.

General recommendations would be welcome, but recommendations along with owner's opinions would be even more welcome. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XPS M1710 replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XPS M1710 replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Look ito the Sager NP5790
by orlbuckeye / August 4, 2007 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: XPS M1710 replacement
Collapse -
Thanks.
by fbbbb / August 4, 2007 8:02 AM PDT

Spec-wise, perfect.

However while not ultimately fugly as the XPS, I'd have to say it's boringly slightly ugly. Nevertheless, an option. Thank you.

I invite other options.

Collapse -
(NT) Oh,and I presume that's a Clevo.
by fbbbb / August 4, 2007 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.
Collapse -
Yes it's a clevo.
by orlbuckeye / August 4, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

They also make the NP 9260 that uses a desktop processor Intel Core 2 Extreme.

Collapse -
Yeah... not needing that sort of spec really.
by fbbbb / August 4, 2007 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it's a clevo.

I also presume the NP9260 is the Voodoo H:171.

Collapse -
(NT) And that the M:172 is the NP5790.
by fbbbb / August 4, 2007 10:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sager is typically cheaper then Voodoo.
by orlbuckeye / August 4, 2007 11:40 PM PDT

The ODM is Clevo and the models at D900C for the 9260 and the M570RU for the 5790.

Collapse -
I gathered that much.
by fbbbb / August 5, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

It seems to come down to international pick-up warranty offering and a pretty paint job for the Voodoo. But even I'd balk at paying the $3,000 premium for that. Is there anything else that's compelling about Voodoo?

I was looking at the Alienware 17" machine, which seems to be the only 'boutique' (how 'boutique are these things if they're all the same?!?!) machine I've looked at so far which is not a Clevo. I like the layout of that machine better but that lid, like the XPS, is a total turn-off.

Any other contenders?

Collapse -
Another laptop with similar stats
by orlbuckeye / August 5, 2007 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I gathered that much.

the Asus G2 which has the 8600 and not the 8700. Clevo seems to specialize in that market. In fact Sager is using Compal now because Clevo is concentrating on 17" screens now. Alienware uses Clevo for some of it's models but not all. Basically all Clevo's are the same the sell them to Sager, Prostar, Eurocom and Rock in England and they add the replaceable parts. Asus does the same but they also sell complete configured units that are sold as is like the laptops you see in Best Buy. A Clevo is a Clevo and they are basically the same hardware and some companies paint them for a LARGE fee but the internal parts are the same. Their are dealers that sell Clevo barebones that give you a bigger choice of configuration items.

Collapse -
In the time I've been actively looking
by fbbbb / August 5, 2007 8:25 AM PDT

It seems that the Clevo M570RU is really the only machine that fits the bill. I'm not willing to compromise on the performance at all - i.e. an 8600 is not acceptable.

Thing is, from the pictures I don't like the way it looks very much. True, it's an order of magnitude less fugly than the XPS, but... dunno, it doesn't look 'designed'. Seeing as the new XPS M1330 and the new Inspirons are not bad looking machines, should I wait it out to see what Dell might have to offer with an updated M1710?

Still, I welcome any other insight for potential candicates. Thanks.

Collapse -
Well, having seen the XPS M1730
by fbbbb / August 7, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

pictures, all I have to say is...

Good Lord.

If the chassis lights have stayed then I can say things have taken a turn for the worse. Hopefully more detailed looks and colourways will be available, but man... that could just be worse than Alienware.

Collapse -
Quick Question.
by maxis308 / August 5, 2007 6:00 PM PDT

I agree that the 5790 is your only choice. The 9250 or whatever is way too big and heavy imo...I was just wondering if you were going to be selling you m1710s when you upgrade...I think it's ugly too, but I just really want a DTR at a good price. If I can't find a good deal, I'm going to get the 5790 from powernotebooks. It's not as good looking as a VAIO or something but I think it's pretty sleek and cool. But if I could get a used m1710 or something I'd do it to save the money. Sorry to post this here but I couldn't find a way to private message. Ezra

Collapse -
I have a Sager NP5710
by orlbuckeye / August 5, 2007 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Quick Question.

which I liked the look. The chassis of the 5710 was also used in the 5720, 5750 & 5760. The 5790 replaced the 5750 & 5760 and they removed the digital lights on the front.

Collapse -
No, my defunct computers
by fbbbb / August 6, 2007 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick Question.

are usually given away, either to friends or charity. Charity is more common since I rarely keep desktops and laptops for more than 9 months to a year.

Collapse -
old xps
by shorffy / June 19, 2009 8:40 AM PDT

are u selling your xps ?

Collapse -
As...
by 1shado1 / June 19, 2009 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: old xps

Stated in the exact post you replied to:

"No, my defunct computers are usually given away, either to friends or charity. Charity is more common since I rarely keep desktops and laptops for more than 9 months to a year."

Not to mention that there hasn't been a post in this thread for almost 2 years.

Do you have reading comprehension issues?

Collapse -
sorry
by shorffy / June 19, 2009 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: As...

dyslectic and i thought you were talking about other computers

Collapse -
OK...
by 1shado1 / June 19, 2009 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

Fair enough.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?