Laptops forum

General discussion

XPS M170 "Fluff" help

Hey guys and gals! I'm going to buy a Dell XPS M170 but i hear the Dell installed drivers don't work very well and that there is alot of fluff crap you don't need already pre-installed.

I have heard that you should re-install Windows to get rid of all the pre-installed stuff but one thing i wanted to know is can you reinstall using the dell windows disk and not have the fluff you had before or do i have to buy a new copy of my Operating System and use that? (i plan to get Windows Media Centre Edition.)

Also can someone give me an idea on how to make my XPS M170 as good as it can get?
I've looked on a few sites but no one really gives you a step by step guide on what exactly you need to uninstall, download and install like drivers and updates, etc.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jonno ^_^

P.s. the spec will be:
Pentium 4-M 780 (2.26 GHZ)
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX
100GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
The sound card that comes with it
Windows Media Centre 2005 Edition
All the extra stuff because i want the best laptop i can get. ^_^

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XPS M170 "Fluff" help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XPS M170 "Fluff" help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's also called "Bloat ware". . .

In reply to: XPS M170 "Fluff" help

If you use the restoral disk it'll be back like it was. It's easier to just uninstall what you don't need. You can purchase a full copy of XP and format the drive and install XP. But you'll have to find all the drivers to make everything work. It can be a PITA as there can be several versions of the drivers for a specific machine.

The specs look good on your machine. If it was mine I'd just uninstall what I don't want or need.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
ta but stil looking

In reply to: It's also called "Bloat ware". . .

cheers but im still looking for the other drivers because i know dells video card drivers arnt that good and have read of them crashing or locking up.
I just dont want that to happen because nothing else aggrivates me more.

Anyone know what i should uninstall / download / install??

Cheers.

Jonno.

Collapse -
Here's what I'd do

In reply to: ta but stil looking

Get the 2GHz Pentium M, and use the $500 that you saved to buy a copy of Windows. Also, get 1GB of RAM (1DIMM), and buy the other 1GB to save more cash. Oh yeah; format the drive, and install the nVIDIA drivers from their website.

Collapse -
ty alomost there

In reply to: Here's what I'd do

well im gonna get the best i can and proably have some left over anyway.

I found out that if you just reinstall with the windows restore disk it gets rid of most the dell stuff and the best drivers are at omega and made by that guy that did a review

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.