Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

Question

xps 15z

by SmokeyNite / May 24, 2011 12:25 PM PDT

It's finally out- the new dell xps. Everything seems pretty good except for one thing for me. The graphics card is only a nvidia gt 525m. From what I've read, this is a mid-level card?? Does anyone have any experience with it? How it does with World of Warcraft or Sims?? The other downside- no blu-ray. But I can live with that. Happy
Thanks!!

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's find a review,.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: xps 15z
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-15z/4505-3121_7-34714594.html

You're right. This is no gamer machine. While The Sims should be fine the WOW'rs I know won't like this.

The 1080 is a nice touch. More benchmarks at http://www.notebookcheck.net/Preview-Dell-XPS-15z-Notebook-in-test.54267.0.html

The Intel Core i7 2620M dual core neatly side steps the usual thigh burn issue.

While the benchmarks on this unit are not "in" you can look at http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html and see what midrange means.

Again, nice, but the gamers should avoid this.
Bob
Collapse -
if not this...
by SmokeyNite / May 24, 2011 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's find a review,.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The Lenovo y470 looks good- it has a Nvidia 550 graphics card. However, the screen is only 1366 x 768. And the battery lasts only about 4 hours, compared to the 8 that the dell supposedly gets. I'm still waiting for the new Asus laptops to become available here in the States. Wish I could just build my own laptop with everything I want in it, without it costing an arm and a leg!! Happy

Collapse -
Why run on battery?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: if not this...

Both have 300 cycle batteries so about 1 to 2 years and it's spent. I think you should keep GAMER machines on AC. If you need a laptop and not a gamer machine you can check out the Acer TimelineX machines (lots of hours.)

As to the GT525. Most folk will do fine with that. It's those gamers that are used to the desktop fire breathing speed demon machines that have trouble.
Bob

Collapse -
Advertised battey life is like with the
by orlbuckeye / May 24, 2011 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: if not this...

screen brightness almost completely off. I saw a compnay that tested my new laptop the Acer 8950g with the i7 2630 processor and they got 6.5 hours and with a brightness people would really use it was 3.5 hours.

Collapse -
If I had a battery with a life of that many hours
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

I'd be upset. Maybe we should call that run time?

Collapse -
Answer
I just watched the reviiew
by orlbuckeye / May 25, 2011 7:41 PM PDT
In reply to: xps 15z

on this laptop by Dan Ackerman here on Cnet and he actually made the statement if you want a gaming machine Alienware is the Dell you want to get. Basically he was saying Dell brand is the multimedia option and Alienware is the gaming option for Dell laprops.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!