Windows Legacy OS forum

Tip

XP3 freezing up every two days!!

by gandorwig / July 22, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

Hi! I'm brand new to CNET forum. I run XP3 on a Dell 3000. My PC started freezing up after being on a couple of days. I would have to do a hard boot to free memory and get my PC to respond. I did a memory test with this software-Memtest 86.I discovered one on my memory sticks was bad.. I had a spare and replaced the bad stick .My PC is not freezing anymore. A bad memory stick can cause a number of problems that can go unnoticed. I recommend using this Memtest 86 on a routine basis. It is unusual for memory to go bad but it does happen. This is freeware and can be down loaded and burned to a CD at this link.
Have a great day and I hope this tip will help some one.
Gary!!
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP3 freezing up every two days!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP3 freezing up every two days!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start with the basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 5:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
I had a bad memory stick!!
by gandorwig / July 22, 2011 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Start with the basics.

Hi Bob!! I had a bad memory stick and Memtest help me find it. There is no telling what other problems it may have been causing.
Thank you for your reply!

Collapse -
Ahh!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

The link I gave is something we should do yearly. It is rarely done by most. I fear many will just buy a new machine.

If you did find bad ram and it still shuts down (I missed that it did or didn't) then there we have the cleaning and after that some malware scans to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Bob!!
by gandorwig / July 22, 2011 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh!

Hi Bob!! No my PC no longer shuts down. After replacing the bad memory stick every thing is great. I'm not sure how this forum works for sure. I thought I did. I posted this as a tip for members. I assure you I have a virus free PC that runs like a top.I hope that by posting this I have not caused confusion. It was my intention to post a tip that would help members and not a request for help.
Thank you for your reply!!
PS I run Avira- Online armor(firewall)-Malwarebytes in real time. I'm well protected Sir Thanks for your concern.My PC is running great

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2011 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bob!!

This forum does odd things when content is pasted in. Those single long paragraphs get me too often as I skip a line and think we are discussing a problem to be solved.

Thanks for the tip.
Bob

Collapse -
Your Welcome!!
by gandorwig / July 22, 2011 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the tip.

Your welcome Sir!!
Thank you for your link about cleaning up your PC.
I actually cleaned my Key board and tower last week. My tower was full of cat hair and a lot of dust. My old Dell is going on 7 years old and still running like a top!! I'm pretty particular about my PC. I'm 73 years old and self taught. Always ready to learn some thing new. A little windy at times.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.