Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP2 trying to avoid problems

I am the closest person we have for IT. But I am no expert. Have 9 computers. I downloaded the SP2 compatibility guide, but I don't really understand, don't have much spare time and I know none of my people will understand. I am thinking that I should put Go Back on all computers, when the time comes (I am waiting for automatic update), make a backup, then if there are problems, just use Go Back--maybe until more corrections are made. There must be thousands like me out there, wondering what to do. Advice, please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP2 trying to avoid problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP2 trying to avoid problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where's your backup?

In reply to: XP2 trying to avoid problems

It you are the IT, then what is your DISASTER RECOVERY PLAN?

What happens when a hard disk fails or a machine or a machine's contents vanish?

You may have revealed your plans have more holes than you suspect.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: XP2 trying to avoid problems

Firstly why download until you are ready to install -
And as Bob Proffitt has suggested you need an ongoing backup plan not just for SP2.

There is conflicting advice whether to install now or to wait for the bugs to be fixed - I am of the opinion that if your are not a experianced computer user who is able to recover from a disaster then it is best waiting for say a month.

Just a few suggestions though:-

1/ Only install sp2 on one machine first and give it a test drive to make sure everything is working - hopefully you have setup all your 9 machines in a similar way so one machine will be indicative of all.

2/ Make sure systems restore is switched on and working!! - do a few test restores to make sure.

3/ In addition I would backup all data files and systems settings using something like "windows backup" and store them on a CD or some other external device if possible (you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway!!!)

3/ make a systems restore point just before installing sp2 eventhough one will be made automatically anyway.

4/ Use "google" (www.google.com) to search for any reports about buggs that are found (try "Windows XP2 + errors" as an example for search text).

Hopefully others can make more suggestions.
Peter

Collapse -

GoBack will probably do you no good. I have it on my computer (set at 1GB size) and SP2 was to much for it to handle. But thank goodness I have had no detectable problems yet.

david

Collapse -

Worth mentioning that Go Back is on Microsoft's list of programs which may not work properly once SP2 is installed.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: XP2 trying to avoid problems

Could you supply a link to this list. I would like to look at it. Thanks in advance.

Collapse -

Collapse -

Collapse -

At http://www.symantec.com/index.htm it states:

"Norton GoBack
Installing Service Pack 2 will not affect Norton GoBack"

However, in MSKB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130
where it lists....

Norton SystemWorks 2003 and 2004 - GoBack Personal Edition it states:

"If you install this program, you receive the "DRIVER_OR_IRQ_NOT_EQUAL" error every time your computer starts". The way I read that is "If you install this program...." what about if GoBack program is already installed. I'll find out when I install SP2 next month when I get the CD.

BUT, do note it applies to the 64-bit(NX) Processor type and not the 32-bit which many of us use.

Collapse -

DO NOT install SP2 to any computer with Norton AV installed...Symantec is working on a fix, but until they release same, there are major conflicts! SP2 really should not be installed with any AV program installed...install AV later, but not Norton!

Collapse -

Yes, we do make backups--but I won't go into all the problems we have (mostly lack of money for proper system).

But I do want to thank everyone for replies. I am sure it has helped others besides me. I will keep checking this post for new replies. I have decided that I will have everyone turn off automatic update. We'll update later, much later. To give an example of my problem (I'm sure I'm not alone), one girl from office has to personally turn off update on 6 of the computers -because they don't know how.

Collapse -
Time for domain logins and scripts?

Even at the smallest office I setup a domain logon and a script to set things automatically as needed. I rarely had to visit the machines.

There are some smaller offices or "no money" and on those we used a Linux Samba server that emulated a domain server and again we get the logon scripts going and reduce the IT load.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

Hmmmmm....Nortons....Symantic...they have always been able to take care of any problems caused by a MS Patch or new whatever. That is just a small reason (besides having a slow Dial-up) in waiting for a CD of SP2 and then seeing what new has happened with updates/patches. Course' I will be installing SP2.

I like the advice jpoliakon gave in the Virus forum which is similar to some others:

"Since your machine is stable and is updated with all critical updates, hold off on SP2 until all the bug droppings settle. My advice: Stand on the sideline and watch."
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=33961&messageID=396447

BTW, anyone interested in what Symantic has to offer at the present pertaining to SP2:

http://www.symantec.com/index.htm

Collapse -

Seems like every two days I am having problems as well as my neighbor. She is a culprit though, clicking on all those "FREE" things, then wanting me to come over and help her. There goes on entire day O had hoped I could work on my computer.She used to send me all those cutsy email cards, after threatening her she not longer does that. It does get confusig thankfully I have a friend that is a computer designer and he at times; even shakes his head at some of the directions and things that are going on with my computer. I have a Sony Vaio and it seems lke it came installed with a lot of garbage to begin with.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.