General discussion

XP Wont Shut Down

I have tried to restart or shut off computer and it hangs while "Shutting Down".

Things I have tried:

1. Uninstall new recently added apps
2. Run Diagnostic and Selective startup
3. Disconnect extra hard ware
4. And checked Device manager
5. System restore

None of the above changed the shut down process. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: XP Wont Shut Down
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP Wont Shut Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
hi

where is it freezing eg: desktop, saving your settings screen, etc

- Collapse -
not shutting down

The computer hangs while on the "Windows is Shutting Down . . ."

I have an A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo with 2 gb ram and windows XP Home.

- Collapse -
Windows needs to properly shut down

all processes and services. You can try to do these manually until you find the one Windows is having difficulty with. One thing you might try if you are networked is remove the cable before shutting down. I have a laptop that takes forever if I leave the cable plugged in but shuts down right away if I unplug it.

- Collapse -
Start with the usuals.

Read http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Also, you may want to post what the forum note asks for next time.
Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

- Collapse -
Tried the usuals

None of the suggestions worked. Everything was fine before. I am at a loss.

- Collapse -
The A8N-SLI Deluxe does require drivers.

You didn't tell how Windows was installed. Tell about all the drivers and what order they were installed in.

Bob

- Collapse -
HOW?

What do you mean how? I installed it with a cd. It has been about 6 months since I reinstalled everything. I did not experience this problem until recently--a week to be exact. The newest addition is the PC Power & Cooling 750 silencer power supply I added yesterday. I upgraded because my previous PSU was giving me problems--fan was making noise, my raid drives were not getting the needed power, and it broke my raid about 9 months ago, also before I upgraded, only 2 of the four raid drives was getting power.

When I did the reinstall I unplugged everything. Installed OS, SP2, Drivers for video and Audio, Firewall, AV software (AVG), Commonly used software (Office, DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, Firefox,Nero, Picasa, Roxio copy convert, and iTunes. I always try to do it in this order.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.21 ghz
2 GB RAM
WD RAptor 140
4 Disk RAID 5 600GB
SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI DELUXE
Dell 30 inch Monitor
SONY DVD RW DRU-810A

- Collapse -
I see one item missing.

There is usually a motherboard chipset driver package. Try installing that one. Thanks for offering more detail.

Bob

- Collapse -
Still no success

I have tried to solve the problem using the following techniques found at microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029/en-us

The most annoying part was having to reactivate windows. I have exceeded the number of activations and had to place a call to Microsoft. The ******* on the other end hung up on me after he got frustrated when I asked him to repeat the activation code.

Anyhow, what else might I try? I would hate to do a complete reinstall only to find out it does not work. And as for the reactivation process. Does anyone know what will happen when XP is no longer supported?

Thanks

- Collapse -
XP is not supported today.

"You call this support?"

Back to your issue. Try disabling items like SOUND CARDS in the BIOS. Then USB and if that fixes it we have a clue to the issue.

As to activation Microsoft wrote what will happen after XP support is ended. But we'll have to wait and see when the day arrives.

Bob

- Collapse -
Your XP Will No Longer Work Worse & Worse....

with each MS Update!!!LOL! Keep that activation code in "several" safe places! Grin

- Collapse -
continued problem

I have tried to disable several things in the BIOS. These last few days it has gotten longer to startup. Also, I dont have any sound now. These last two issue started when I repaired windows. I did discover that when I disabled RAID in the bios the pc did shut down without a glitch!

Here is a little history. My previous PSU had issues with it not providing enough power. The four disk array I had would at times only ready two or three drives. I had to wiggle the power connectors but after about a year I decided it was time to get a new PSU. A week before I got the new PSU I managed to get the array up and running again--this is about when I started to get problems. Replacing the PSU did not remove the problems with SHUT DOWN. But the array is now working, more or less.

- Collapse -
Mirror

Did you reestablish the mirror properly? If not, you will continue to have problems.

- Collapse -
Mirror?

"Did you reestablish the mirror properly?" I am not sure what that means. So I guess the answer is no--I think. But if it refers the raid, it was done automatically.

Thanks

- Collapse -
I had a logout problem

The only way I could fix the problem was to do a clean install.

Backup you files and folders

Make a copy of your drivers, will make it easier to re-install them

Good luck.

Rick

- Collapse -
"when I disabled RAID in the bios the pc did shut down

"when I disabled RAID in the bios the pc did shut down without a glitch!"

There's your big clue. It points to driver issues. The RAID driver needs to be checked out to see what versions both old and new are available.

But first the backup. Since changes in this driver can result in RAID data loss we must have a backup.

-> There is also a fine interaction between BIOS version, motherboard drivers version and the RAID driver. For me I find I want the latest when I setup a system.

You've found the cause. Now to find out if they fixed it.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info