PC Applications forum

General discussion

XP won't start

by SgtRon / February 18, 2005 12:48 AM PST

Been running my newly-built machine for a couple weeks now, with no problems. Here are the stats: Asus K8V w/Athlon 64, Seagate 120 HDD, 1.5GB RAM, WinXP w/SP2, AVAST Anti-Virus, Norton Utilities 2002 Pro (Norton AV disabled. Been busily loading all my software and updating same. Today I started Norton Speed Disk. It had no sooner started than I got a blue screen error message. Only had time to read a couple lines ("Windows has detected a problem and is shutting down --") before it shut down the computer. Completely powered down! Wish I could've read the rest of the screen. Now it won't go beyond the BIOS checks at startup. Nothing but black screen after the BIOS checks. Can't get into Safe Mode, either -- in fact, it's not listed in the options when pressing F8. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas. I'm lost! Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP won't start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP won't start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not uncommon with heat or overtaxed power supply issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: XP won't start

Or a stick of ram that system has decided to now work with.

Downsize the machine, upsize the power supply and keep it cool.

Bob

Collapse -
re: Not uncommon ---
by SgtRon / February 18, 2005 3:07 AM PST

Thanks, Bob. I should've mentioned that the PS is 450W. More than enough. CPU temp has been running 49

Collapse -
You may be missing what's hot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: re: Not uncommon ---

While many fixate on the CPU temperature, there are other parts in the machine that could be too warm or have become temperature sensitive. It's why the case cover comes off for the test.

Bob

Collapse -
re: You may be missing ------
by SgtRon / February 18, 2005 10:56 PM PST

I've been running with the case top and side off since I built it. Mobo has been maintaining 30

Collapse -
The two directions..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 11:16 PM PST

1. Look to the OS for clues. For example, XP has the EVENT VIEWER.

2. The hardware angle. Remove what you can. Any printer, usb or other device that can be unplugged.

Also, if this is some Athlon 64 with an ATI card, pester the supplier if they know if the two are trouble free.

Bob

Collapse -
Ooops. Missed that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: XP won't start
Collapse -
followup
by SgtRon / February 19, 2005 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Ooops. Missed that.

Took your suggestion and removed all peripheral hardware. Only thing in the PCI slots is the video card. No USB devices. Tried booting from CD but it got only as far as asking me to "press any key to boot from CD". After that, nada - zilch. Only black screen. I did notice the CPU fan speed getting down into the red area, so I disabled the speed control built into the mobo. Speed has been sitting around 2240 RPM since then. Mobo temp holds at 30

Collapse -
What next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2005 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: followup

What can be swapped out?

If nothing, call the supplier and see what parts they want to exchange. XP will boot and glide onto good hardware. You have a bad part or horribly misconfigured (overclocking people ?)

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?