HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

XP Won't recognize Network Card Drivers - Dell Latitude C640

by m4ha7m4 / September 24, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

I have a friend who just got a freshly reformatted Dell Latitude C640. I believe her brother used an XP Pro cd instead of the recovery disks and installed most of the drivers.

In any case, I reinstalled all the drivers on the Dell website (motherboard, both NIC's, etc.) and everything installs fine, EXCEPT for the internal wireless card.

In device manager it shows up in the "?" section as "Network Card" I try to install the "TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card" and the Mini PCI versions of the driver by extracting the files and pointing windows to the driver location. All it says is "Hardware not installed, this location does not have the correct drivers for your device"

Basically XP isn't recognizing the brand of the card and won't let me install any drivers. This is of course assuming the "TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card" is the correct device, it's the only one on the dell website. I've tried to install drivers from other TrueMobile devices, and even found that is based off of an Orinco card, but Windows XP wont let me use any drivers, it just keeps denying me.

I know it has an internal wireless card, since it shows up in device manager and her brother said he used to use it. I am currently in the Caribbean and do not have access to the recovery disks. Also I have disabled/uninstalled and reinsalled the card in Windows, disabled/enabled the miniPCI in the bios, rebooted, blah blah blah all to no avail!

I'm thinking XP is just being stubborn, but I can't think of a fix! And I'm a fairly advanced PC user.

Please help me out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Won't recognize Network Card Drivers - Dell Latitude C640
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Won't recognize Network Card Drivers - Dell Latitude C640
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 24, 2007 10:21 PM PDT

Can you pull the card out and look at it? Maybe some information there. My IBM ThinkPads have the wireless card under a removable door on the bottom.

Collapse -
Another thought
by PudgyOne / September 24, 2007 11:21 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.