HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP won't print to networked printer through router

by Joseph_Leahy / December 9, 2004 6:43 AM PST

Trying to print from HP6840 printer through Linksys BEFSR41 router, using networked Window ME and Windows XP computers. Windows ME computer able to print, but Windows XP computer is not. If I set up printer to be shared by the ME computer with the XP printer, then the XP computer can print from the printer. However, XP will not print to printer going directly through the router, even the printer icon appears on the XP, and the XP is able to ping the printer successfully. HP technicians gave up after about 2 hours of trouble-shooting, saying it might be encryption by the XP that is causing the problem. By the way, I have all the firewalls off on the XP, so that's not the problem. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP won't print to networked printer through router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP won't print to networked printer through router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP won't print to networked printer through router
by Michael Geist / December 9, 2004 6:56 AM PST

I am getting a little lost as to the layout of your network. Is this printer attached locally (directly) to a particular machine or is it networked using a print server device? If attached locally, set the Printers properties to be shared, then add the printer on the other machine using its network location on the other machine.

Collapse -
by Joseph_Leahy / December 9, 2004 7:17 AM PST

Sorry about the confusion. The printer and both computers are connected to a router, that is, they are all networked. The ME can print through the router to the printer, the XP can't - that's the problem. I can get the XP to print if the ME shares the printer with the XP, but I don't want to do that, because then the ME computer has to be on all the time. I need help to figure out why the XP will not print to the computer through the router.

Collapse -
Still confused?
by Michael Geist / December 9, 2004 7:59 AM PST

"The printer and both computers are connected to a router, that is, they are all networked."

This implies a print server is being used.

"I can get the XP to print if the ME shares the printer with the XP, but I don't want to do that, because then the ME computer has to be on all the time."

This implies the ME computer is directly connected to the printer.

I'm still confused, which is it?

Collapse -
Still confused?
by Jud Fry / December 19, 2004 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: Still confused?

No, that does not imply a server. There are printers such as my dj6127 that have networking built in and connect directly to the router

Collapse -
by Jud Fry / December 19, 2004 12:30 PM PST

I have a similar setup. My dj6127 has built-in network capability and does not require a server. It is connected directly to the router. XP cannot cope with such a connection and has advised me to connect my printer to a computer and share it. If you wish to enjoy the independent printer turn off the XP firewall, install Norton's and list the printer's IP address range as assigned by the router on the "good guys" list. I have no problem with either of my XP machines. Now if someone can tell me how to solve the problem with the one running WinME I would be grateful.

Collapse -
"firewalls" plural?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 7:23 AM PST

That's very odd. Let me share that I have to uninstall Zonealarm, NIS, other, get the network to work and then add that firewall in. There is NO TRUE DISABLE for these products.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "firewalls" plural?
by Joseph_Leahy / December 9, 2004 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: "firewalls" plural?

Thanks for tip, however, I have Zone Alarms on the Windows ME machine, and I am able to print from that computer. Suggests that Zone Alarms firewall is not the problem. Any other possibilities? Could Windows XP firewall be causing problem even if disabled?

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 7:37 AM PST

I read this all the time. "It shouldn't be."

Best of luck with that.

Bob

Collapse -
by glb613 / December 9, 2004 7:52 AM PST

"Trying to print from HP6840 printer through Linksys BEFSR41 router"

I have that router and my computers are networked. One is a desktop connected to the printer and the other two are notebooks connected to the network through a wireless connection. The only way I can use the printer with the notebook computers is to have the desktop (the one connected to the printer) turned on. As far as I know, you will need a printer server, wireless or wired, to be able to print without the computer connected to the printer turned on.

Collapse -
by Joseph_Leahy / December 9, 2004 9:29 AM PST

My situation is different. The HP 6840 can be connected to a router using a network cable, not a USB port, and so there is no print server. The XP and ME computers are also connected to the router through network cables. The computers can be, and are, networked to the printer. The ME works fine this way, but the XP does not. The XP does communicate with the printer through pinging, and "sees" the printer as evidenced by the printer icon in the control panel. The only thing that is wrong is that the XP cannot print using this configuration, but I do not think there is a problem with the configuration. If there was a problem, then the ME, which is connected the same way, would not be able to print.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Here's the poop from HP...
by Michael Geist / December 9, 2004 9:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Here's the poop from HP...
by Joseph_Leahy / December 9, 2004 10:03 AM PST

Thanks, Michael. I did assign a static IP for the printer, but did not configure the port as described by the HP documentation. I will give it a try.

Joe

Collapse -
by glb613 / December 9, 2004 6:36 PM PST

You don't seem to understand. Your computers are connected to the router, your printer is not. Your printer is connected to a computer that must be turned on to work. If you don't want to have one of your computers running all of the time you have several choices. Turn it one when you want to print or buy a print server that is running all of the time. Since your computers are wired, I'd suggest you get a wired printer server. Linksys makes one that run around $70.

Collapse -
The printer noted has ethernet and Wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 7:59 PM PST

I looked at it, but the poster is mired in the "I disabled the firewalls" rut. I've fixed these before, but until they get past this issue, I can't help.

Bob

Collapse -
can't print through router to hp6840
by patmc222 / December 31, 2004 3:57 AM PST

I have two desktops connected by ethernet and both a wireless laptop and wireless desktop all running xp home through a linksys wrt54g router...I had ordered the hp6840 prior to finding your post at this site, needless to say I was concerned. Received the printer, plugged it into my router, put the cd in and the installation went flawlessly. After using the cd on each of the remaining computers on my network they all print through the router to the 6840. You did check the "wired" option during the installation of the printer on your "wireless" computers didn't you? Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.