HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Xp won't detect my full HDD space

by Wraithakl / September 3, 2008 6:58 PM PDT

Does anyone know whats going on?
I have recently purchased a new 320GB IDE HDD and installed it myself. Bios has detected correctly as a 320GB HDD but my Windows XP will only detect it as a 127GB HDD.
My theory on this is that the version of XP that I own is too old to go higher than 127GB.
My XP version is 5.1(build 2600xpclient.010817-1148)
Am i right about this? and is there anything i can do without having to buy a new XP?
My computer is a Intel P3 2.0ghz.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Xp won't detect my full HDD space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Xp won't detect my full HDD space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: version
by Kees Bakker / September 3, 2008 7:12 PM PDT

My version (start>run>msinfo32, second line in system overview) = "5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600".

You don't tell anything about servicepacks (SP1, SP2, SP3)? What did you download (or install from the CD you ordered)?

And if you say "Windows XP will detect it" are you talking about Disk Management? Or, say, the soze of the c:-drive (partition) in My Computer? Please post the full info shown by Disk Management.

Kees

Collapse -
You don't buy a new XP. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 3, 2008 8:26 PM PDT

You install the service packs, free.

Right click the My Computer icon on the desktop, and click Properties. The Service Pack version will be shown. SP3 is the latest, but SP1 will enable Windows to see the entire drive.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Wraithakl / September 15, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

Thanks for all those who replied Happy
I downloaded Sp2 and it works fine
Thanks again
Wraithakl

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.