My PC is home built. Even though it has a oem I didn't purchase a computer from HP, Dell, etc.
Last Monday a fake Microsoft Security Essentials alert popped up, closing firefox saying it was a dangerous virus threat (lol). I tried to remove it with Malwarebytes antimalware but the virus kept closing it and locking it so I couldn't open mbam back up. I tried using Bleepingcomputer's rkill as a .com and renamed as ieXplore.exe and eXplorer.exe. rkill apparently did what it was programmed to do but the virus kept opening back up. I tried reinstalling mbam several times, but each time I ran the program, it was shut down by the virus. I tried to open mbam in safe mode but the virus popped up in safe mode too. I went back to normal mode and tried several different anti virus programs (S&D, Emsisoft, I was going to install Panda Cloud but I can't remember if I actually did) but all were shut down after starting a scan. I think that one scanner wasn't shut down (can't remember which) but my computer froze while it was scanning so I was forced to hit the restart button on my machine. I went back into Windows and tried the scan twice more but each time it froze forcing me to restart.
Here is where the my main current problem begins. After restarting for the third time I tried to enter Windows and it wouldn't load in any mode. For normal mode it stops at a blank black screen, and in safe mode it stops loading the files at a certain file (I'm away from my computer right now so I'll post the file name later today). After this I found the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and I'm currently running off that. I loaded the CD and ran S&D several times until it turned up clean. But I still couldn't load Windows. Then I found this: http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx
Now I was following this part:
[QUOTE]If you booted into WinPE, you have to manually edit the registry. Do this:
1. Run regedit
2. Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. From the File menu, select "Load hive"
4. Navigate to %systemdriver%\Windows\System32\Config on the dead system and select the file name System
5. Name it something you can remember, such as "horked"
6. Navigate to horked\<the current control set>\Services\IntelPPM. See below for how to determine which one is the current control set.
Double click the Start value and set it to 4
8. If you did what I did and completely destroyed things by running a disk check, navigate to <the current control set>\Control\SessionManager. Open the BootExecute value and clear out the autochk entries
Step 6 asks you to navigate to <the current control set>. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM there are typically at least two numbered control sets, and sometimes there are up to four. They are called ControlSet001, ControlSet002, and so on. Control sets hold all the configuration data for the computer, including all drivers that load. One of them is designated the current one, and the others are backups of previous configurations that worked. The control set that is currently used as the current one is the one listed in the "Current" value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select. That is the control set that you need to modify in step 6. If you modify one of the other control sets it will not solve the problem. You need to modify the current one. If you manage to boot the computer, CurrentControlSet will be a pointer to the current one and you can modify that one. If you boot from the recovery disk you have to figure out which one is the current to modify the proper one. It will not always be ControlSet001.
If this was your problem, the computer should now reboot just fine.[QUOTE/]
While I didn't find the IntelPPM file I did find that I had 4 ControlSets. Now this could be normal but the 3rd and 4th ControlSets are apparently duplicates of the 1st and 2nd, respectively. I say apparently because I haven't gone over every single entry seeing if "A=A, B=B" etc. But from just eyeing the ControlSets they appear to be duplicates.
Side Note: this is a similar thing that happened about 2 months ago when I couldn't boot Windows (there was no virus, just freezing programs). I tried a repair install, but it didn't work. Ultimately I ended up reinstalling Windows with a sp3 slipstream. I want to avoid that option, if possible, because it was a real pain going through that.
Windows XP 32-Bit SP3 (OEM)
1TB HDD (Split roughly into half for partitions)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4000+ Processor @ 2.11GHz