Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

XP won't boot. (Flashes blue screen.)

by PianoKid / October 21, 2009 6:25 AM PDT

Hi everybody,

I have a computer with the details given below.It had been working fine until yesterday when the following happened (and since then as well). When I try to boot it up, it does this:

a)Shows mother board screen.
b)Flashes through two screens. (I believe it is checking for stuff.)
c)Gives me these boot options:

1.Safe mode
2.Safe mode with networking
3.Safe mode with command prompt
4.Last known good configuration that worked
5.Start Windows normally

When I select any variation of Safe mode, it starts listing files(i think) and the locks up.

When I select "Last known good configuration that worked" or, "Start Windows normally", it shows the Windows XP loading screen. Then it locks up, flashes a blue screen for about 1/2 a second, then "reboots."

If anybody needs more information, or if anybody can help me I will greatly appreciate it.

PianoKid

We built the computer ourselves. (i.e. Its not a Dell, Compaq, etc...)
Here are my system specs:

HDD: Western Digital 250Gb SATA
MB: Asus P5N-E SLI
RAM: Qty 2, 1Gb gSkill Ram (2Gb total)
PCU: Intel Core2 Quad
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Have You Checked??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 21, 2009 7:14 AM PDT

Not necessarily in this order..

1. Check and re-seat all cabling to the hard drive and the motherboard.

2. Tried running a repair install using your Windows XP SP2 disc?

3. Tried reseating the memory, or removing all RAM sticks except for one, in the number 1 slot, and see if it starts correctly? (It could be a bad RAM module.)

4. Tried swapping in a known "good" power supply?

5. Because heat could be part of the issue, have you cleaned out all of the dust and junk using compressed air? Checked that all fans are working? It may need new thermal grease on the heatsink/processor.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Griff is right but try this first
by aln298 / October 21, 2009 2:09 PM PDT

I think Grif gave some good advise. If you can't develop a definitive answer as to whether or not it is a hardware problem you might try a re-installation (from the OS up)- but this will be a last resort.

I would get a bootable disk (floppy or CD) and see if the PC will boot from that. If it boots then your hardware is probably OK -with the possible exception of your hard drive. If it boots from the floppy or CD then you may need to reinstall ... And if you get to this point I would STRONGLY suggest doing a clean install. Do not try to "repair" the previous installation. Your original problem may be virus damage and you want to do want you can sterilize your hard drive before starting over.

Collapse -
re: flashes blue screen
by nerd4real / October 21, 2009 3:25 PM PDT

If I'm reading you right, the blue screen is so quick that you don't have time to see what it says. In order to get a good look at it, when the computer restarts, tap f8. This gets you to the Advanced Menu Options screen, where you can select "Disable automatic restart on system failure", then press ENTER. When you get the blue screen, write down the error message and the first set of numbers/letters from the STOP error code. Then you can post that info here or google it to get some ideas on steps to take to fix the problem.

Collapse -
Ok I will try this.
by PianoKid / October 22, 2009 12:37 AM PDT

Thanks everybody for your help so far. I will try to do most of this stuff after a while and see what I find.

Thanks again,
PianoKid

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!