Question

XP with SP3 - major issues after install/uninstall

Hi Folks
Did a very silly thing a few nights ago. Went to download a utility and clicked on one of those download arrows that isnt the one you wanted. Ended up installing 7zip which I un-installed straight away. Next night on boot up PC did not boot up completely. Some start up programs were missing, few strange icons on desktop, explorer wont work at all, Chrome keeps says its going to close and Excel, Word etc will not work at all. Tried to do a system restore but all dates selected wont restore. Have run spy bot, malware bytes and Kaspersky on full scans and nothing major comes up. Have also run SFC - no changes came up
Tried to install hijackthis but now says windows installer system cannot be accessed.

Any ideas as to whats going on - Is it a virus or has my registry been trashed meaning a repair of some kind

thanks in advance for any help

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: XP with SP3 - major issues after install/uninstall
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: XP with SP3 - major issues after install/uninstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Why not use System Restore to when it was all good?
- Collapse -
restore - how far back

tried restoring using different restore points from before the event but none worked. Do you mean going back to a restore point from say a few weeks ago ?

- Collapse -
Only need to try to a day before the issue.

If that fails, then we have to work at this the old fashioned way. That is, pick an issue, fix that, pick another issue, fix that. Etc.

Word should be easy to work. Just uninstall and reinstall for starters.

- Collapse -
problem now resolved

Checked my backups and found a full image backup from Feb 2012 so decided to backup "my docs" and Outlook pst - and use this back up to fix it . A few hours of other updates - reloads etc but now back to stable PC with no issues.

Thanks for the help and suggestions etc

- Collapse -
Have Never Noticed Any BACKUP

I realize this is an ignorant question, but where do you find this BACKUP?

And in case anyone needs to know this, I found out the WHY .NET framework 3.5 Update always fails. My XP Home 32 bit just doesn't have the X86 platform to support it. Wish someone would alert Microsoft, because there's probably lots of others in my position. Couldn't they invent a patch or SOMETHING? TIA.

- Collapse -
Re: find the backup

He found the backup where he stored it. Most likely a set of DVD's, an external hard disk or a webbased service like Dropbox. Or maybe his girlfriend had put those disks somewhere else without telling him.

Where do you store your backups?

Kees

- Collapse -
Hate to Admit It, Kees, But....

The three dots were to give you time to guess, which I'll bet you did. When my computer was new, I made the suggested backup disks, and have a set of 8 reinstall disks that came with the new hard drive. Haven't kept up with any storage except in "My Documents", and in a Finale music printing program. There's just too many changes for an old lady to keep up with. Like I said in the other reply, I've been in hospital three days, lost track of all the discussions. So many people were having trouble installing 5.3 x86, and suddenly the problem's been removed! Great news.

I don't really have to make more backups at this late date, do I?

CNET Forums