Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP with SP2 versus ZoneAlarm Firewall

by cookieman / October 25, 2004 2:16 PM PDT

Can anyone tell me how to make ZA pro work with Window's XP after installing Windows update 'SP2'?
I now have to disable ZA Pro inorder to access the Web.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cookieman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP with SP2 versus ZoneAlarm Firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP with SP2 versus ZoneAlarm Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One or the other
by AussiePete / October 25, 2004 6:23 PM PDT

If you are using ZA best to turn off winxp firewall - I am under the impression that both can't coexist although I haven't seen it in writing anywhere. Beside if you are running ZA you dont need winxp as it does more!
Peter

Collapse -
Re: XP with SP2 versus ZoneAlarm Firewall
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 6:27 PM PDT

Hey Cookieman!

This is a common firewall problem paricularly with Zone Alarm.
Did you just uninstall another firewall before you installed ZA Pro? That is a common cause of Internet access difficulty. If so, you must go through a thorough deletion process of that previous firewall before you put a new firewall on your system. I would be happy to help you with that if you like.
Zone Alarm Pro is supposed to be SP2 compatible. It should work with that firewall. Try shutting down SP2 firewall and see whether you can get out to the net with ZA enabled.
Also make sure that Internet Explorer has full access in the program control section of each firewall. In ZA especially, make sure that all the boxes are checked for IE. ZA does a scan upon installation that sets access rules for all the windows processes on your computer so IE should already have full access.
If you still can't get out to the net without disabling it, you might want to uninstall it and reinstall it, although I am not a fan of always uninstalling and reinstalling programs.
Did you buy ZA? Or is it a trial version?
I ask because I wouldn't work too hard on this if I were you. As good as it is there are many sound alternatives to ZA Pro . I had the same problem a few months ago and finally had to uninstall ZA Pro.
If ZA works with SP2 firewall disabled and you really want to use ZA then keep it and just disable SP2 for as long as you have ZA on your system.
Let me know if any of this helps!

Collapse -
by cookieman / October 26, 2004 3:51 AM PDT

TopGun, thank you very much for your info. I really appreciate it. I apologize for not providing all of the necessary info in my original request. First, I did try to disable Windows firewall and fired up ZA Pro and still could not get on the web. Then I uninstalled ZA Pro, restarted my PC and reinstalled ZA Pro. Still the same problem. I was using the free version of ZA before I added ZA Pro on top of the existing free version of ZA.
I really like ZA Pro and did purchase it in 2003 and re-paid for the subscription in 2004. I hate to look my investment if possible. If I have to, do you a firewall of equal quality?
Also, how do I make sure IE, or Firefox, has complete access or permissions to access the web.
Again, thank you for all ok your assistance and experties. Have a great day, Cookieman

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 26, 2004 7:32 AM PDT

Dear cookieman:

You are right about considering another firewall, but let's give ZA one more chance!

Let's clear the slate!
First, enable the SP2 firewall.
Second, using the ZA Pro uninstaller, uninstall ZA. Restart your computer. For that go to Start All Programs and head to the ZA icon, there I think you will see the ZA uninstall option. If not just use the remove option in Add/Remove programs.
Now,update your antivirus software and run a full system scan. If you have Ad-Aware and SpyBot, update each of them and run them. Restart your computer.
You may have to repeat one some or none of these next steps.
Now go to Start, Search, All files and folders, go to More advanced options ,click each one except "case sensitive". Now type Zone Alarm into the search bar. Delete every entry you can. Restart your computer.
Now, follow the same steps except this time type in Zone Labs. Delete every entry you can. Restart your computer.
Before you complete the next step which requires working in the registry, make sure to back up your registry. Backing up your registry is just good sense anyway.
Use these links to help you with that process. It won't take long and it is sound insurance.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
http://www.google.com/search?

sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+back+up+the+windows+xp++registry

Now let's go into the registry and get rid of ZA there. Be careful here. Follow my instructions precisely. First, go to Start, Run, type regedit click OK.
All Right we're here. Now go to Edit at the top of the window. Click Find, type Zone Alarm, Click Find. Delete the entry.After it finds the first entry click Find Next. Delete every entry you can provided it says Zone Alarm. Restart your computer.
Now repeat these steps but this time type Zone Labs and delete every entry you can. Restart your computer.
Now reinstall ZA and make sure permission is fully granted to Mozilla and IE. In fact grant permission to every program.
Now see if you can get out on the net. If not, disable ZA, then go out on to the net and reenable ZA. This is an attempt to train ZA to accept IE and Mozilla access on and to the net.
Just to be safe , let's get a second opinion as to the integrity of your system. Let's go to House Call for a free virus scan at : http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
Now if you are clean and still have the same problem, then it's time to consider a new firewall.
If the free ZA was working maybe go back to that. It is not the total security package that ZA Pro is but it is still a good firewall. However, there are others that offer great security features and will work on your system.
I recommend OutPost http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/ They offer a free and a pay version of their firewall. Be careful with Outpost if you are using McAfee virusScan 8. and Outlook. There is a serious incompatibility problem there.
There is also Norton 2004. Get a three month trial of it here : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx.
In fact, I recommend every product on that Microsoft page. If I were you I would try Trend Micro.Their firewall is not permission based,rather it inspects (filters)every program (packet)that accesses the internet. You don't even know it's there unless it catches something. However, if you are using an antivirus, you will have to uninstall it if you want to go with Trend Micro as Trend Micro is a firewall and antivirus package.
If the firewall you try does not work out, then make sure you go through the removal process I described to you above.
Keep me posted!

Collapse -
by cookieman / October 26, 2004 2:18 PM PDT

Dear TopGun, you actually are the TOPGUN.....
Thank you for the great info. I will try it tomorrow and let you know. Again, thank you and stay safe.

Cookieman

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 26, 2004 2:52 PM PDT

Hey cookieman!

You bet!

I am sorry I did not tell you how to configure ZA so as to allow full internet access to IE and Mozilla.
Right-click on the ZA icon, select open ZA. Go to firewall, select program control. A list should unfold to you of all the internet enabled programs on your computer. Go down the list until you hit IE put a green check in each of the five boxes. Do this by clicking on that program in the programs list. Select allow or full access.All the boxes should be checked already. If not check em. Do the same for Mozilla if the boxes are not checked already. Restart your computer.
There is one more step we can try but it involves writing rules for the programs. Let's leave it for now.
If you've gone to another firewall, I wish you well with that.

Collapse -
by Ron Reisener / October 30, 2004 10:18 AM PDT

I was experiencing the same problem as Cookieman but fortunately spotted your reply, followed your instructions, and all is now OK - well done and many thanks!

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 30, 2004 4:51 PM PDT

Hi Ron!

No problem!

Collapse -
by alexwindow / October 30, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

I had the same problem, and had to delete zonealarm, cnet stated that their is a newer version 5.11 that works with xp2. I have several things to read on it first before I download it again.Go to cnet.com and look for this

ZoneAlarm 5.1.011 popular

Collapse -
by LD / October 30, 2004 3:25 PM PDT

I have implemented the XP SP2 and reinstalled my Zone Alarm. This is what worked for me.
1) Go to network connections, chose the connection you defined for Internet.
2) Right click on connection and go into the properties page
3) Go to the Advanced tab, choose not to use windows ICS/firewall. (Forgive me but its been awhile since I did this) You may not be able to disable it. Sorry I don't remember. No problem though, hang with me.
4)Go to START/RUN and type in SERVICES.MSC.
5)Click on "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" service
6)Stop the service and change startup option to manual. (Again, Windows may prompt you about this action, don't worry about it)
7) Fully install Zone Alarm and get the latest updates immediately. The new updates communcate with the XP kernel and security center to let it know that it is the firewall now. You can confirm this by going into the Security Center through the control panel. If install went correctly, you should now see a green light by the firewall heading. If u open up the heading, you should see Zone Alarm as the firewall.

KEEP THE Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service to manual startup and u should be fine. Mine works great.

If I may, I recommend having all zones (except blocked zone) set to high security at all times. I know its cumbersome but I would also have my programs Control set to high after you run your normal Internet applications, also never start the ASP.NET service. That punk is worse than ever. I observed many hacks disguising themselves trying to get in through the "listening Ports" that it causes.

This SP2, in my opinion, DID NOT ADDRESS ANY OF THE ISSUES OF THE WONDERFUL "GENERIC HOST WIN32" PROCESS CONTINUALLY TRY TO SEND DATA OUT ALL THE TIME.

I had a hacker try to mess with me so I messed him up and got the federal agencies trying to get to my PC. Good ole Zone Alarm stopped in their tracks.

Sorry about the length of response but I spent a lot of hours recooping from my own stupidity. NEVER TRUST WINDOWS.
Good luck,
LATER Man

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?