Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP - Will not recognize all EXE applications.

by P_Ron / February 20, 2010 11:06 PM PST

I removed a virus from my system and now certain application (.exe) files will not run. I get a dialog box that says "Windows cannot open this file: FILEname.exe To open file Windows needs to know what create it.." This only happens with some .exe files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks... Ronnie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP - Will not recognize all EXE applications.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP - Will not recognize all EXE applications.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP - Will not recognize all EXE applications.
by Tufenuf / February 20, 2010 11:15 PM PST

Ronnie, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer the file to the problem computer then run it.

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Thamks - Still no change
by P_Ron / February 21, 2010 12:25 AM PST

Thanks, I was able to merge the file into the registry, but there still are some EXEs that do not run.

Collapse -
Then it might not be exe files.
by Kees Bakker / February 21, 2010 12:28 AM PST

Tell the full filename (from c:\ up to and including the extension, after setting Control panel>folder options to NOT hide any extensions). Also tell the full and litteral error message, and how you try to run them (from a shortcut, by double clicking in Explorer, from the start>run box).

And please give a few examples of exe's that run. Can you see any pattern in running and not running?

Kees

Collapse -
No Luck
by P_Ron / February 21, 2010 1:36 AM PST

Thanks, I tried running the program several ways and with the exception the Start->Run option the results were all the same. Using, MyComputer, Explore and double clicking on the icon, resulted in first Window's Open File Security Warning dialog box appearing, the name is correct, it says its an application and the name of the company is correct. Although, the icon is generic and does not belong to the file. I selected the run option, the program's installation progress bar appears and on top it says installer extracting files and after that disappears, the next screen says: "Windows cannot open this file. FIle: Setup.exe, To open this file Windows needs to know what file created it...." and there are to radial options.

When I try opening the file from Window's Start Menu ->Run and select the file's name, the open file security dialog appears and I select run; Then my system goes straight to the Window's "Windows cannot open this file..." and this time it shows the executable program: w_turbotax_1040_bsc_2009.09.0100.exe

This program is a compressed file and I tried other compressed exe files without too much problems. Although I did have two others one was not a compressed file that the same thing happened. Thanks for your help. Ronnie

Collapse -
Re: program won't run.
by Kees Bakker / February 21, 2010 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: No Luck

That's a big step forward. You've got the file on your hard disk. I get the impression it's the compressed (meaning: a lot of files 'zipped' into one exe-file) setup of the Intuit's Turbotax program.

Copy it to your USB-stick. Try to run it on another computer. If that fails, it's a damaged copy. Then redownload.
If it runs everywhere, except on your PC, it's a problem with your PC. But I don't expect so.

Kees

Collapse -
Txs. Worked on other PC
by P_Ron / February 21, 2010 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: program won't run.

Thanks. I tried it on an other PC and it installed fine. I was on the line with their help support for over 2 hours and they say its my PC. Thanks again... Ronnie

Collapse -
Then it's your PC indeed.
by Kees Bakker / February 21, 2010 3:11 AM PST

Could be anything. Surely not the usual "exe-files don't work" that the fix mentioned by Tufenuf is about. The positive side of this experiment: if you reinstall your Windows XP it probably will work with you also.

Kees

Collapse -
Could it Be Regisrty Entry?
by P_Ron / February 27, 2010 5:01 AM PST

I wonder if a registry entry is missing? Is there a way to detemine if the standard registry keys are in place and if they are configured properly. Also, if I restore windows will I have to reinstall all my other software? Thanks Ronnie

Collapse -
Tufenuf thanks for this post!
by watercolorwes / July 27, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

I know this is an old post but thanks to the info you provide you saved my butt re: the damaged .exe registry files. Like an idiot I clicked on a link that looked legit in an email re: a topic I was interested in....bad move. After an hour or so of scrubbing out the virus, i restored sys only to find no .exe action. Luckily a search led me to your advice and link to this fix. For me it worked beautifully.

Collapse -
Give me a harder 1
by crashgazz / May 25, 2010 12:59 PM PDT

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is the answer click on it say open with go down the list you will see command something another a blue square use that poof now your in command prompt. Now cd c:\ to the right directory with mailwarebytes type it in .exe and it works this is what i had when it was done Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4143

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

5/25/2010 8:28:32 PM
mbam-log-2010-05-25 (20-28-32).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 128167
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 6
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 6

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsuite (Rogue.AntivirusSuite) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsuite (Rogue.AntivirusSuite) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDORSYS (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\pcmstub (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run\exec (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL\CheckedValue (Hijack.System.Hidden) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\ImagePath (Hijack.WindowsUpdates) -> Bad: (%fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs) Good: (%SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\ImagePath (Hijack.WindowsUpdates) -> Bad: (%fystemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs) Good: (%SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat\(default) (Hijacked.BatFile) -> Bad: (csfile) Good: (batfile) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.com\(default) (Hijacked.ComFile) -> Bad: (csfile) Good: (comfile) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\(default) (Hijacked.exeFile) -> Bad: (csfile) Good: (exefile) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\3361 (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\UcQr.dll (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\3361\mlog (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\certstore.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\WINDOWS\explorer.exe (Backdoor.Nuclear) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (Backdoor.Nuclear) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\n.exn (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
took me about 5 minutes to figure out can any body make a real virus this one was weak DC

Collapse -
I am trying to understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 25, 2010 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Give me a harder 1

why you have posted your MBAM log here, but I have failed.

Is there some problem you wish to discuss?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?