Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Welcome Screen (Continued)

by timwerx / May 16, 2006 3:59 PM PDT

I tried the Restore XP Login Screen online tool. It checked my registry and pronounced things to be okay. The problem is that the screen itself is wrong. The malware (?) theme that was installed has replaced the default blue Welcome screen with its own. I found and deleted part of the problem, but the unwelcome ''welcome/login'' screen remains.

If someone could just tell me where that Welcome/Login screen is kept and what its name is, I should be able to replace it with the correct default file.

Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Welcome Screen (Continued)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Welcome Screen (Continued)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
user accounts
by linkit / May 16, 2006 4:06 PM PDT

USER ACCOUNTS control panel has an option to "Change the way users log on or off."

Not sure what you want. Do you want to boot directly to Windows XP without having to enter a password?

Collapse -
It's not that....
by timwerx / May 16, 2006 5:45 PM PDT
In reply to: user accounts

Thanks, I've checked that. Turning it on shows me the unwanted screen at startup. I've got it turned off now as a temporary measure to keep the unwanted screen from appearing. If and when I can get the default screen back in place of the unwanted one, I'll turn it on.

I've googled and googled, but have yet to find where to find the file that contains the welcome screen, and what its name is.

Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Possible Fix
by phantazy / May 16, 2006 5:51 PM PDT
In reply to: It's not that....
Collapse -
It's not that, either.....
by timwerx / May 16, 2006 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible Fix

Already tried that. That tool said that all was okay. I think it just checks the relevant registry entries.

Collapse -
Hey buddy, please!!!
by dvesh / May 17, 2006 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: It's not that....

Why don't you give a try to the sfc /scannow. Click on start /run and type "sfc/ scannow" no quotes and do not use the system while it is scanning... Restart the computer when done.

Hope this help

Collapse -
Problem
by PKsteven / May 17, 2006 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey buddy, please!!!

While ok advice, this won't always repair the registry, also, I don't know if postee does or not, but may be required to have the OS disk handy. I personally haven't seen a time it wasn't needed. Also, if it finds it's badly damaged enough will not continue either. Not saying it isn't worth a try but just a couple of points.

Paul

Collapse -
Ohh my god!!
by dvesh / May 17, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem

I have never seen a forum where people disagree so much and talk to things of what they don't know a hell. sfc /scannow is very effective. actually it will ask you for the CD in system that do not have the Recovery partition from the manufacturer or when this partition is not active or present anymore. This command will almost always attempt to repair damaged files, do not changes the Registry values (keys). Anyways I still recommend it and should be done long time ago, even before opening the boot.INI and say he got an infection with the kernel=boot.exe

If it does not solve it then we should seek some other suggestion but skipping this step is something that should never happen...

Hope this help

Collapse -
yes well.
by PKsteven / May 17, 2006 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Ohh my god!!

for someone who keeps getting posts deleted and has quite a temper and swears in the post , doesn't say much for the source. Either way, can you keep this civil? This is a community forum which many respect, as I do. You can get a group of 20 techs and all will have different methods and disagreements, that's the way it is. Also I didn't say your method wouldn't work, but that there was a good chance that the cd would be needed and that the registry won't always be repaired. The moderators have corrected me many times or added things, or the way it should be said, I take it as advice, not a bad thing and i move on.

Paul

Collapse -
Sorry buddy
by dvesh / May 18, 2006 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: yes well.

Hey buddy, this is the second time I receive messages from you guys with something about "hot temper, or actitude" I think you guys can't be wrong cos' is not only you but also another person in this forum already point at me in such a way. I think It is the way I write things to you guys, but the real thing is that English is not my mother language and I speak 3 different languages + english. I guess the way I write make feel people like if I am being rude or something else. I really apologize to you too cos' I have never ment that. Whatever that made you feel, please I'm deeply sorry it's all my fault. Sad The funny thing is that me and my co-workers are always competing for the score. Yes we have a Support live chat for a private company and being raking bewten the 5th and the 1st is always needed. I don't know if that has made me do this type of writting or something. I will try to be more careful from today on... Thanks for the reply... God bless you

Collapse -
two things
by PKsteven / May 18, 2006 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry buddy

No problem. I am in no position to tell you what to do, but simply giving you pointers as what will get you in trouble.

1.)One thing that is not to mentioned here is about illegal software copying, pirating,how to do it, or even suggesting it.
2.)Demanding that people listen to you, as in the post I replied to of yours. Swearing at people like "hell" used toward people will make people mad also. And saying <I have never seen a forum where people disagree so much and talk to things of what they don't know a hell.> I don't think this was your lacking in language here, it was pretty straight forward.

That said and once again, I can't and won't tell you what to do, it's not my place but if you don't want people mad at you, stop saying things like the above.

Take care, Paul

Collapse -
sys32
by PKsteven / May 16, 2006 6:58 PM PDT

If I remember , the file would be located in, actually modified, the Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe and was probably changed with the malware app. If the ntoskrnl.exe was changed, you will need something and some know how to change it back but if you do, be <<very very cautious.>> If you can't figure it our, or simply have no idea, then I suggest you ask. Typically it doesn't just add to the sys32, but modifies the ntoskrnl.exe itself.

As stated, you will need some type of program to fix this, perhaps someone would know. Registry hack or something , (I don't recall the name right now) but I can do a search and if anyone else knows they can let you know. I had this problem a couple of years back but it wasn't malware, just a boot changing program but I couldn't get rid of it until I fixed the ntoskrnl.exe.

Paul

Paul

Collapse -
Replacement?
by timwerx / May 16, 2006 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: sys32

Thanks. I was thinking of just replacing it with a copy of the file from a good machine. Wouldn't that be an easy fix?

Collapse -
Not sure
by PKsteven / May 17, 2006 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Replacement?

It is likely it won't work since even though windows is windows, the registry is different per machine. Also, as it seems this discussion is (continued), did you try booting from the windows cd? Boot to install but don't actually install, do a "repair". This typically works well.

Paul

Collapse -
ntoskrnl.exe
by phantazy / May 17, 2006 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure

This file is not transposable from another system.
phantazy

Collapse -
"hack this"
by trkcoach22 / May 17, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: sys32

The program I think you are refering to is called:
"hack this"
It's free and there are allot of Techies around here to help you with the interpretation.
But be warned, it doesn't fix any thing...it merely gives you a list of programs to look at and see what doesn't belong...and remove it yourself. (not for the novice or the faint of heart) It's very dangerous to alter anything in the registry if you don't know what you are doing.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Try this
by PKsteven / May 17, 2006 10:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
wellcome screen
by ranger84 / January 31, 2007 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

can it be safely removed?

Collapse -
Yes, but widely regarded as...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: wellcome screen

No speed benefit or penalty. A choice one makes.

Bob

Collapse -
wellcome
by ranger84 / January 31, 2007 3:50 AM PST

how do you do it?

Collapse -
I could autologon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: wellcome
Collapse -
wellcome screen
by ranger84 / January 31, 2007 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: I could autologon.

no thats not what iam looking for,sorry. i meant the wellcome image @ start up?

Collapse -
Remember that image will not affect boot time. But if you
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: wellcome screen
Collapse -
wellcome screen
by ranger84 / January 31, 2007 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: wellcome

hoh do you delete,the wellcome screen?

Collapse -
Resolution
by timwerx / May 17, 2006 10:36 AM PDT

Thank you all for your help.

Since it's a school computer problem, and a minor "cosmetic" one; and since an attempt at fixing it could cause worse problems, I have decided to just leave the login screen turned off -- otherwise they work fine.

I presently don't have the system CDs. If my superior ever wants the default screens back that bad, I will recommend a fresh install.

I thought my days of "learn something new every day" were pretty much at an end.... until I touched a computer........

Thanks again for the support.

Collapse -
you are welcome
by PKsteven / May 17, 2006 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Resolution

Perhaps you mentioned it was a school pc in another forum, I don't know but had I known , leaving it alone would have been my first suggestion, lol. Good luck though, take care,

Paul

Collapse -
Try TuneUp Utilities 2006 to replace the Welcome screen
by Zeppo / May 18, 2006 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Resolution

I use TuneUp Utilities 2006. This wonderful program does many things, such as improve system performance and correct registry problems.

However, aside from the system fixes it can do, it also allows a user to change the look of the "welcome" and "startup" screens. The software maker has created several designes that can be downloaded from their website and installed for use.

In TuneUp Utilities 2006, the "startup" and "welcome" screen options are listed under their "TuneUp Styler 2" button. It's fun to play around with and the company allows a free 30 day trial period to use their program with no other restrictions, so one can judge if their program fills their needs.

It did for me - I tried for 30 days and bought it.

Take a look at: www.tune-up.com

Collapse -
Thanks
by timwerx / May 18, 2006 9:54 AM PDT

I will look into it.

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?