Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!

by Txtaz6763 / February 27, 2004 8:34 PM PST

I've looked all over the board and haven't seen this problem, so I need help.

I've tried everything I can think of and everything that's been suggested on another board. Nothing's worked.

The driver has been replaced.

It is a Lexmark Z31, and I installed the driver from the Lexmark site for WXP. But it still tried to reinstall it every time I turn it on.

Anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks,
Lisa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Cursorcowboy / February 27, 2004 8:44 PM PST

1. The article [Q308549] describes the System Information tool (Msinfo32.exe) used to diagnose issues, or to access other tools, and to gather information about your computer such as devices that are installed or device drivers that are loaded, and provides a menu for displaying the associated system topics (Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools or Start, Run, type msinfo32.exe, and then press Enter). System Information is divided into the following five categories:

Hardware Resources
Components
Software Environment
Applications
Internet Explorer

Note: If you install an update from the Update site and it fails to meet your expectations, restore the original files by running the Update Wizard Uninstall from the Tools menu. If your computer worked fine yesterday, but is not working properly today, try restoring yesterday's configuration files by running the System Restore utility from the Tools menu in the System Information tool.

2. Is there anything which stands out as a possible link to your reported problem?

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / February 27, 2004 8:59 PM PST

Is your printer listed at Control Panel-Printers and Faxes ? Try: Highlight it then go to View then at the bottom of the drop down menu, click at 'Refresh'. If your printer is not listed, it is not properly installed. BTW- how did you installed the printer ?

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Txtaz6763 / February 27, 2004 9:18 PM PST

Everything's been installed properly. I'll have to check out that article posted above.

More info:

I had uninstalled the printer BEFORE upgrading to XP to avoid problems. Then I re-installed it after the upgrade, which I was told would be best.

Then this issue started right off the bat.

I've been fighting with it for 2 weeks now.....lol, and it's definitely winning.

**going to read that article now**

BBL

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Papa Echo / February 27, 2004 11:33 PM PST
Everything's been installed properly.

Sorry, but how did you install the printer? Did Windows detected and installed it or did you install it manually via 'add a printer' at Control Panel> Printer and Faxes ? Was the printer's icon present at 'Printer and Faxes' ?
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Txtaz6763 / February 28, 2004 5:36 AM PST

Papa, after the upgrade I hooked up the printer and installed it via the "Found new HW"/"Have Disk" option. I then followed the instructions from the Lexmark site on how to install the correct driver (Install from: C:\-location where I had downloaded the driver) I had downloaded from their site while doing the install originally.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Papa Echo / February 28, 2004 6:56 AM PST

Okay- did the icon for your printer appear at the 'Printer and Faxes' folder ? Try to install manually via 'Add Printer' at the printer and faxes folder- follow on screen instructions. You may have to delete the printer first at that same folder. Remember to 'refresh' at the last step...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Txtaz6763 / February 29, 2004 6:44 AM PST

OK, got the printer thing fixed.

Now, does anyone know how to disable XP's Scanner & Camera Wizard?

Thanks!
Lisa

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!

What happened ? Windows want to install your scanner at every boot ?

Collapse -
Please tell us how you fixed your printer

Dear Lisa,
You never told us how you fixed your printer and there are many of us reading this forums trying to find some answers.

Regards,
Rebel

Collapse -
by Txtaz6763 / February 29, 2004 7:16 AM PST

It just won't let me use my preferred PaperPort to scan and save. And what it does do it doesn't do for squat.......lol.

I found it in accessories, but can't see any way to disable it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Papa Echo / February 29, 2004 7:43 AM PST

Do you mean the Paperport application from Scan Soft or do you mean a scanner model named 'Paper Port' (of which I haven't of). What happened when you tried to scan and save ? "It won't let me..." doesn't doesn't give any clues... . Do you have another scanner or digital camera installed ?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Txtaz6763 / February 29, 2004 7:45 AM PST

PaperPort is a very popular scanning software program.
Can't believe you've never heard of it.

Doesn't matter. All I need to know is how to disable the XP Scanner and Camera Wizard. Period.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:XP wants to install printer every time I turn it on!
by Papa Echo / February 29, 2004 11:37 AM PST

As indicated in my post, I know about PaperPort. It was just that your post seemed to indicate Hardware, i.e. a 'Paper Port' scanner, rather than Software, the PaperPort scanning program. To disable the XP wizard for Scanner and Camera, I would advise you to make a new post, e.g. entitled ' How do I disable the Win XP Scanner and Camera Wizard ?", giving details of your problems,like why you want it disabled, action of which may not necessarily solve your problem. This present post has a title which is not indicative of your new query.

Collapse -
by Romasteve / February 29, 2004 4:40 PM PST

I had the same problem with a different printer and it was solved by the Fujitsu tech person by plugging the printer into the primary USB port not the secondary one. If you have more than one USB port you might try another port and see if it continues to try to install the printer or not.

Stephen

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!