Windows Vista forum

General discussion

XP Visulization under Vista

by teddkg / October 18, 2007 6:57 AM PDT

I have a new HP Vista Laptop. I'm not crazy about Vista, but it looks nice and has some nifty features.

One this is for sure, however, I have some business software that will not run on Vista, therefore I must have XP. From everything I've read it seems like a pain to downgrade to XP, so I thought I'd try Virtulization, running XP in Vista.

Does anyone have experience doing that one way or the other?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Visulization under Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Visulization under Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll need Virtual PC...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 8:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
I tried this
by Dango517 / October 18, 2007 1:02 PM PDT

Found Virtual PC to be clunky and difficult to use. Great idea, I hope they can make it fly some day. There are other free virtual software options out there, if you look.

I'd suggest you buy a second Hard drive and mount XP on it. This works far better and in the future you could mirror the second drive with vista as a back up against hard drive crashes. Cost maybe $75.00 dollars, if you shop around.(this thread is not tracked)

Collapse -
Have a Second Hard Drive
by teddkg / October 18, 2007 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I tried this

Yeah, I bought a laptop with two 250GB HDs, so I am good there, but when I tried to use VMPlayer I got the XP Install disk running, but XP could only see the hard drive I was on.........

As I was typing I realized my problem. I should have put the virtualization software on the second HD and then THAT is the one XP would have wanted to install to.

Figured it out.

As for which to use, yeah, I am debating between using Microsoft's Vizualization software or this free one from (http://www.vmware.com/) VM Ware?

Thanks to both of you for the thought inspiring thoughts!

Collapse -
I prefer VMWare Server...
by John.Wilkinson / October 19, 2007 12:43 AM PDT

VMWare Player is fine, but Server is also free and far more capable, letting you actually create virtual machines. It supports a wider range of both host and guest OSes than Virtual PC, lets you backup an existing state, and more. Either will likely work for your purposes, but VMWare is my choice.

John

Collapse -
Hmm, I am Confused......
by teddkg / October 19, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

John, thank you for your post, but I don't quite get it. You said that Server is far more capable", but that VMWare is your choice. I don't quite get it....

Kelley

Collapse -
VMWare Server...
by John.Wilkinson / October 19, 2007 8:11 AM PDT

VMWare is the company name, so while the products are VMWare Player and VMWare Server I occasionally leave it as Player and Server since typing VMWare every time seems repetitive in some cases. And when I say I choose VMWare I refer to both of their products being better than Microsoft's alternative, Virtual PC. Sorry for the confusion.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.