HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP version Outlook 2000

by atlellie / October 6, 2010 10:38 AM PDT

I started getting two of each message received. What caused this and how do I fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP version Outlook 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP version Outlook 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure
by MDFlax / October 6, 2010 9:25 PM PDT

Outlook is normally used in conjunction with an Exchange Server, eg work-based emails. If that is what your Outlook connects to, have a word with your email Tech person at work.

Otherwise, look through Outlook's Tools > Options, (or Tools > Account options), for some option that says, "Leave messages on the server" or similar. See if changing that solves the problem. If all email messages are deleted from the server once they are downloaded to Outlook, then they shouldn't be sent again.

Mark

Collapse -
duplicate Outlook emails
by atlellie / October 7, 2010 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure

I tried taking off the leae messages on the server but it didn't work. Actually this morning I started getting 3 of each email instead of 2. It's very annoying. Just don't know what started this. I'm baffled.
ellie

Collapse -
Common problem and sometimes solvable ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 7, 2010 2:38 AM PDT

1. Make sure that there is no duplicate email account setup on the same MS Outlook.

2. Make sure that there is only one instance of MS Outlook running. Check this by opening Task Manager and selecting the Processes tab. Duplicate instances of outlook.exe running can produce duplicate messages arriving at the same time. If you do find multiple instances of Outlook running you need to try to determine why (sometimes if you close Outlook while it is receiving mail the visible window closes but not the actual application).

Also sometimes the mail server doesn't mark the messages read and if left on the server the message is received again next time the client checks for new mail. You can check and possibly fix things if this is the problem by doing the following:
1. Close Outlook to disconnect the POP3 access
2. Login to your webmail account
3. Check the inbox and remove any unwanted emails, spam mails or large size emails
4. Close your webmail
5. Reopen Outlook and try again to receive the emails via POP3 connection

Also read this -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284404

Collapse -
duplicate Outlook mail
by atlellie / October 7, 2010 4:27 AM PDT

Your were correct about the task manager. It showed three copies of the outlook.exe running. I do not know why or how this happens as I only opened it once. I removed all three of them and left outlook. Reopened it, just received an email and low and behold, got two of them again. There is nothing left on my regular webmail account. I deleted everything so this new email still came in 2 times. Well, two times is beter than 3 but still one too many. Looked back on the task manager, and low and behold saw two outlook.exe's again. I took off leave a copy on the server but that is bad if I'm out of town. I can't see my emails if they are gone from the server. Life's little problems! ellie

Collapse -
All is well again
by atlellie / October 11, 2010 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: duplicate Outlook mail

I have a miraculous healing of the Outlook. I tweaked so many different things. Don't even know what I did, but the duplicates and triplicates are gone. Thank you for all your help. It could be that something you told me to do worked....but I don't know which one. Let's hope this is the end of the story. ellie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.