Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP used up half my hard drive disk space

by jmfresq / February 26, 2006 11:47 PM PST

I just added a new 250 gig Maxtor Sata hard drive to my system and when I installed Win XP I noticed that it has used up 108 gig of space. I have never seen this happen before. I tried reformatting and reinstalling the OS several times and got the same result. I did not have this problem when I added the 200 gig Maxtor Sata drive, this is now my additional storage drive. I have a 3.06 cpu, with 1 gig of memory on an AB60N motherboard. I have never seen XP take up more than maybe 2 gig of space. Along with all the other drivers and programs I used to have it only used about 10 maybe 12 gig altogher. Is there something that I am missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP used up half my hard drive disk space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP used up half my hard drive disk space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A new record!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 11:52 PM PST

You could use Explorer and see what directory is eating it up?

Then again, you did write XP. Without SP1 that partition would be all of 127GB, then XP eats 10 to 12GB (high end) so that could mean you looked at your remaining space and thought it ate about the remaining amount.

No fix is planned. You'll need a newer XP CD or make one with Autostreamer.

Bob

Collapse -
Are you certain that it is not
by Ray Harinec / February 26, 2006 11:54 PM PST

actually installing on the original drive, and that's what drive size you are seeing??

Collapse -
XP used up half my disk space on my hard drive
by jmfresq / February 27, 2006 2:50 AM PST

I unplugged all other drives that were attached, so that the only one being seen by either BIOS or Windows would be the 250 gig drive. After installing Windows I went to My Computer and clicked properties on the drive to see the space used and it showed that 108 gig was used with only XP installed.

Collapse -
Absolutely proper. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 2:55 AM PST

XP (no SP1/SP2) will create at maximum an 127GB (I won't quibble what a GB is) partition and you'll think that XP ate the space.

http://www.48bitlba.com notes this as well as other reasons.

No fix is planned, but you could create more partitions are you install SP2 or use AUTOSTREAMER to make a proper XP CD w/SP2.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.