Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

XP Updates/SP2

Havent installed SP2 yet..Checked it out today by manually using Windows Updates..It says SP2 size is 75 MB and will take 10 hrs. and 44 minutes?? Could this be correct?? Use Dialup Connection.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: XP Updates/SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: XP Updates/SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP Updates/SP2

In reply to: XP Updates/SP2

When I checked Windows Update it said 4 hours, 22 minutes to download on my dial-up. The time depends on how much your computer already contains in relation to what they are going to download. So 10 hours could be a possibility. You must really need this SP2.

I strongly suggest you get the CD and install from it. With the CD I believe it took Glenn about a hour to install and me only 42 minutes on our dial-up.

Recently I checked the computer of a relative who is a school teacher that lives 175 away. He doesn't have much time and actually taught a computer class. His home WinXP had absolutely no XP updates and his Nortons Anti-Virus had expired. I installed the free AVG, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot. Mailed him a MS CD to update all the patches etc to SP1. I now need to tell him to go and get the CD from MS or I can mail him a copy. Can't email as they don't read any email.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: XP Updates/SP2

Thanks John..I check updates frequently and the SP2 has been the only new one..Seems strange to me,when it first became available i remember it saying would take 4hrs,but was hearing too many problems with it at that time so i decided to wait..Goodness thats over a 5 hr.diffrence..guess better get it before it grows to 20 hrs lol..

Collapse -

I have just downloaded from the CD and timed out at
1 hour 55 minutes. To get the CD go to your MS Update site and check out the ordering system. I had my CD within 10 days.
The short download time I can only put down to the fact that I was right up to-date with all the critical updates from MS.

Collapse -

the time to download has expanded due to the notification of tech sauvey folkes everywhere.
This increase in download time will again decrease as the demand for this update decreases.
You should defrag and clean-up space on your harddrive to accommondate such a large "service pack".
also, using dial-up, you should use a download manager such as download accellerator plus, all these changes will make the dial-up downloading process as painless as possible. Of course, I agree with the others, if you can wait for the CD to arrive do that. I am beginning to hear of many folkes having oporational problems with this service pack. University helpdesks in my area are warning against installing it. just a word of caution.

Collapse -

Thanks..Does this mean MS will have to add fixes / and patches to this SP2 Update..

Collapse -
Re: XP Update/SP2

Collapse -
You can count on that..

Be assured, hackers, crackers, whatever, are already looking for ways to break the update, so there are bound to be patches, just as with SP1.
Just a fact of life these days. Not sure what enjoyment they get out of breaking other peoples computers, other than bragging rights that they did it.
A sick bunch.

Collapse -
Re: XP Updates/SP2//UPDATE

I just checked Windows Updates again and now its
3hrs and 43mintues.

My XP Windows is new, a recent install..Have 40g of hard drive..Is a defrag still needed,,and if so should i scan first?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: XP Updates/SP2//UPDATE

Yes, you should always do a Scan Disk (Error-checking) before Defrag.

Still say you should get the CD which MS specifically made for people on dial-up who do not want to wait 3-4+ hours for a download & install. There is no big, big rush in my estimation to right away get SP2 if you have all the critical updates to SP1. SP2 has been under development for an awful long time, was on BETA, then delayed for release several times, so a week or so waiting for a CD is no biggie. The CD should also go a little smoother for installation without any problems.

You also need to get the latest definitions for your Anti-virus program and then run a check before SP2.

MS also recommends you check for spyware before installing SP2. Run Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Collapse -

Thanks..Found out here that there is no ScanDisk in XP and also found out where to find (error checking).
I Keep pc scanned..and SP1 is updated..keep my Spyware/etc and Nav updated..will take your advise and wait..
Thanks again

Collapse -

Err......Yes there is a scan disk in WinXP, it is called "error checking" instead of Scan Disk in Win98, and does the same as Win98....ie...

Checks the volume for errors.
Auto fix file system errors.
Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sector.

So it is also proper to say Scan Disk (Error-checking) in WinXP.

Collapse -

Scan Disk is also called 'Disk Doctor' in Norton System Works (Utilities) and a pop-up ask you to run Disk Doctor when you go to run a Defrag with Nortons.

Collapse -
Great advice John..

Not sure about needing a defrag, but I did do error checking, then AV scan, then the whole spyware suite.
No problems shown, so installed SP2, and no problems now.
And getting the disk is a great idea IMO, since if things go wrong down the road, can always reinstall your OS, then use the disk to update.

Collapse -
Re: Great advice John..

In reply to: Great advice John..

Thanks Ray,

Yeah, defrag is no biggie....maybe it could possible speed up the install process...really don't know. I normally defrag about once a month.

Right, agree, the CD may come in handy on down the line and be a lifesaver in time.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.